Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:59:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

The voiceover/narrator one is close enough to get a laugh, and the whispery interview one is dead on. As you say, he gets the slight stress on the last word very accurately. "I feel silly" being a personal highlight, not least because it reminds me of early Theroux where he's doing slightly silly things more.

Ferris

Poor old Buckles, his school mates getting praise in his own thread. The ignominy of it all.

somersetchris

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 15, 2022, 05:50:24 PMThat's true, Novak's formal Louis Theroux narration voice does sound more like Broomfield, but his quieter, more concerned Theroux is uncannily accurate. "Are you okay?" The slight stress on "okay" is perfect.

Yes he did that first and I was like 'whoah, that's Broomfield!' before I realised he was obviously doing Theroux, that was the bit that stuck with me.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Just listened to it again. "Is that presumptive of me to say that?" Hahaha.

I love the fact that Novak, at least as far as I'm aware, is the only comedian who's ever bothered to do a Louis Theroux impression. Which is weird, as Louis has been a television fixture for over 20 years, and he has a very distinctive manner.

I don't listen to Dead Ringers, obviously. For all I know, Culshaw has already nailed Theroux with one of his staggeringly precise impressions.

Ferris

I seem to remember at least one other Buxton guest doing a decent Theroux. Maybe I'm just thinking of the Theroux episodes.

Novak should work on perfecting Louis' Baccara falsetto.

"Are you angry with me for some reason?"

Sorry, I'm now just quoting lines from Kayvan Novak's Louis Theroux impression. That line really made me laugh, though, as it's one Louis will deploy whenever he's deliberately wound up a total cunt who deserves it. "I dunno, you seem to be quite tense."

Anyway. Buckles. I'm awfully fond of him. I hope the podcast comes back soon.

EDIT: Totally agree, Ferris. "I feel silly" pretty much sums up Louis Theroux's early shtick in two gently stressed syllables.

neveragain

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 15, 2022, 07:16:21 PMI love the fact that Novak, at least as far as I'm aware, is the only comedian who's ever bothered to do a Louis Theroux impression. Which is weird, as Louis has been a television fixture for over 20 years, and he has a very distinctive manner.

Alistair McGowan did him in his Big Impression. I remember a good one with Ronni Ancona as Ruby Wax, where neither knew who was interviewing who.

Virgo76

frajer

Quote from: Virgo76 on April 18, 2022, 02:22:40 PMWith author, Marian Keyes. Very enjoyable.

Really enjoyed this too. I recognised her name but didn't know anything about her work. Thoroughly engaging and entertaining listen.

I don't care for the "my wife" catchphrase but enjoyed this spin on it too.
Spoiler alert
"Keep my wife's name out of your furry mouth!!"
[close]

I must admit, I hadn't heard of Marian Keyes prior to watching that Imagine* doc last year, during which she came across just as she did in this episode: a very nice, smart, funny and interesting person. An ideal guest.

I really must check out her work, I like the sound of it.

* Did anyone else get the impression that Buckles was itching to take the piss out of Yentob, but thought better of it when he realised that Keyes wouldn't be up for that?

Virgo76

Very small criticism: Buckles perhaps a bit too 'rambly' in the post-Keyes bit at the end.
But, generally, great to have him back.

Pranet

He was very down about his appearance on Stop Podcasting Yourself so I had a listen to that. And he is fine. He is Adam Buxton on it. The podcast itself is one of those American (well, Canadian) comedy podcasts that lasts about 5 hours that I don't know how people have for so I probably won't be listening again. But no idea why he thought he was shit on it.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Pranet on April 20, 2022, 11:09:21 AMHe was very down about his appearance on Stop Podcasting Yourself so I had a listen to that ... no idea why he thought he was shit on it.

Same! Great appearance and nice to have a stopgap between new Buxton output. I didn't even mind the hosts as they at least seemed to get his humour but I put that down to them being fellow Canucks.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 16, 2022, 05:55:37 PMAh right. I never saw much of that show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a8FFXKyxD8&t=38s

Ha! Two excellent impressions. Although if I'm nitpicking, which I am, Louis never addresses the camera directly as McGowan did there. Otherwise, top marks.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 18, 2022, 05:14:57 PMI must admit, I hadn't heard of Marian Keyes prior to watching that Imagine* doc last year, during which she came across just as she did in this episode: a very nice, smart, funny and interesting person. An ideal guest.

I really must check out her work, I like the sound of it.

Her four writing class videos are worth watching on youtube.  Very informal but there's helpful advice for budding authors, even if your style isn't the same as hers.

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on April 23, 2022, 02:48:06 PMHer four writing class videos are worth watching on youtube.  Very informal but there's helpful advice for budding authors, even if your style isn't the same as hers.

Interesting, ta.

Virgo76

Quote from: __steve__ on April 25, 2022, 01:35:04 PMNew episode: Alex Horne. Should be good.
With an accompanying chat with Tim Key apparently soon to follow...

Ron Superior

Very intrigued by a secret Horne and Key project in New York with Buxton in tow. Hope whatever it is comes to be.

Jack Shaftoe

Going to listen to the Keyes podcast in a bit, just wanted to say the first bookshop event I had to run on my own was with her and not only was she lovely, she was also the only author ever to send me a thank you card after.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on April 26, 2022, 10:39:19 AMGoing to listen to the Keyes podcast in a bit, just wanted to say the first bookshop event I had to run on my own was with her and not only was she lovely, she was also the only author ever to send me a thank you card after.

She seems nice. I like her Radio 4 show with Tara Flynn. I'd never heard of either of them before this. Glad to hear she's nice in real life too.

Virgo76

Adam remained silent when Alex brought up the issue of his possibly appearing on Taskmaster.
I bet he'll be on in the next couple of years or so.

selectivememory

I really hope so. It's obvious he'd be good on it and he surely must already have been asked at some point.

Good episode. Love little Alex.

Mobbd

Spoiler alert
Do we think it was piles or a prolapse?

It sounded more serious than piles but they said that most people on the production team had endured similar. Prolapsed anus isn't that common is it?
[close]

Virgo76

Adam's chat with Tim Key from January is already on.

Virgo76

Tim Key's good on this. The chat features quite a few samples of his poetry which I'm not always keen on. The examples on here sounded okay though.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Virgo76 on April 27, 2022, 09:50:47 AMTim Key's good on this. The chat features quite a few samples of his poetry which I'm not always keen on. The examples on here sounded okay though.

Yes, the Key one was good too. I like the idea of Horn, Key and Buxton away on a trip together. Intrigued as to what the project was they were working on. Perhaps just a joke excuse for a jolly away somewhere.