Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,357
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:38:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Final FUCKDOWN

Started by Chedney Honks, May 31, 2021, 11:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have we got one more to go before the end of 2021?

Yes.
94 (66.7%)
No.
36 (25.5%)
Young people probably spread it in the first place so prepare to meet thy doom 😂😂😂
11 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Shoulders?-Stomach!

According to worldometers it's 42% up.

55 deaths last weeks 78 this week

shiftwork2

Well done on being a worse Remain Indoors poster than Chedney Honks.

That takes some push, some juice, some verve.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: shiftwork2 on June 19, 2021, 12:57:03 AM
Well done on being a worse Remain Indoors poster than Chedney Honks.

That takes some push, some juice, some verve.

Unlike bosto, they mean it

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 17, 2021, 10:32:51 PM
Brave preddo mate

I mean pretty clearly everyone in here won't be going out licking the handrails on the bus if we get back to 50k cases a day or whatever. That's a percentage. Whatever the percentage was in Sweden it was enough that their economy was just as fucked, maybe even more, as the Scandinavian lockdown countries.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Handcock not seeming too arsed about case numbers in respect of the hospitalisations this morning. Hopefully vaccines are doing the job of greatly reducing serious illness, but there's a gap between some of the more doom-laden modelling I looked at and the general Gov messaging.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

mobias

I've kind of got the impression over the last few days that for a lot of people, possibly a majority of people, this pandemic is either officially over or in its last few weeks.

What could possibly go wrong now eh folks?

MrMrs

BlodwynPig

MrMrs will be alright, his soul already resides in hell

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: mobias on June 22, 2021, 10:14:17 PM
I've kind of got the impression over the last few days that for a lot of people, possibly a majority of people, this pandemic is either officially over or in its last few weeks.

What could possibly go wrong now eh folks?

Certainly seems to be the attitude on the buses. Barely anyone wearing a mask, but a few chins had extra protection. Very frustrating. Bus drivers round here don't enforce the mask rules.

BlodwynPig

Shoulders?-Stomach!

UK 8th in the world for cases yesterday, stories about A&E's close to breaking point seemingly related to GP surgeries trying to avoid face to face consultations, and Covid related hospitalisations rising by 10-30% a week, albeit still from a low level.

I certainly hope the vaccine program accelerates from here and the vulnerable get their Clotbooster in the Autumn.

MrMrs

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 23, 2021, 07:08:29 AM
MrMrs will be alright, his soul already resides in hell

genuinely mental thing to say to someone

Drygate

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 23, 2021, 09:02:05 AM
UK 8th in the world for cases yesterday, stories about A&E's close to breaking point seemingly related to GP surgeries trying to avoid face to face consultations

I went in my GPs yesterday to drop off my opt out forms and it was dead. Literally no one in the massive waiting room at all.

Either everyone's feeling great or they're all dead?

MojoJojo

Most GP surgeries doing phone triage now, you only go in if they decide it's necessary.

Drygate

Good point. Interesting to see how many of those previous appointments must've been unnecessary. Or have those who haven't got the patience to navigate the phone or online system given up trying to get through? My GPs eSystem isn't very user friendly. 

MojoJojo

Quote from: Drygate on June 23, 2021, 10:10:50 AM
Good point. Interesting to see how many of those previous appointments must've been unnecessary. Or have those who haven't got the patience to navigate the phone or online system given up trying to get through? My GPs eSystem isn't very user friendly.

That's what the problems with Accident and Emergency would suggest. Unfortunately I think a lot of people won't be satisfied with a phone call, even if that is all they need.

Drygate

Do you think they are going to A&E as they can't get a GP appointment (for something that the GP surgery would've been able to handle) or they've left it too late for an appointment with the GP and it's now an emergency?

bakabaka

Quote from: Drygate on June 23, 2021, 12:48:03 PM
Do you think they are going to A&E as they can't get a GP appointment (for something that the GP surgery would've been able to handle) or they've left it too late for an appointment with the GP and it's now an emergency?
Yes.
Which is why A&Es are busier than they ever have been before.
Which is why they have more people with mental health problems going to A&E.
Which is why the government is bringing in legislation to put police in A&Es with specific remit to arrest people with mental health problems who are causing problems because A&Es don't have the staff to cope.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteNHS bosses have sounded the alarm over the number of people on ventilators in hospital in the UK, which has risen over the past week.

The deputy chief executive of NHS Providers, Saffron Cordery, said the number of Covid patients in hospital on ventilation beds had increased by 41% in the last week to 227, which she said was a strong indication Covid was having an impact on health services.

Cordery told BBC Breakfast: "Trusts on the frontline are really coming under huge pressure ... they have plans in place to tackle the backlog, but with more Covid cases and demand for emergency care going up, that's really challenging."

Cordery said NHS leaders were already worrying about the potential for a Covid surge to collide with other winter illnesses such as flu and respiratory viruses later in the year, posing "a significant challenge" to the health system...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/23/nhs-alarm-rise-number-uk-covid-patients-ventilators

Drygate

I'm surprised they didn't do anything to increase hospital or ventilator capacity after the first wave. It's not like they haven't been telling us the whole time that there's another wave just around the corner.

Drygate

Quote from: bakabaka on June 23, 2021, 01:03:16 PM
Yes.
Which is why A&Es are busier than they ever have been before.
Which is why they have more people with mental health problems going to A&E.
Which is why the government is bringing in legislation to put police in A&Es with specific remit to arrest people with mental health problems who are causing problems because A&Es don't have the staff to cope.

Well, at least they made it easier to section people under the new covid rules.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Drygate on June 23, 2021, 02:14:22 PM
I'm surprised they didn't do anything to increase hospital or ventilator capacity after the first wave. It's not like they haven't been telling us the whole time that there's another wave just around the corner.

I presume there was no chance of making the relative of a Tory MP or a Tory donor richer by doing this so they just didn't bother.

JamesTC

I was under the impression that ventilator availability isn't the issue but rather the staff to provide 24he care to the people on them.

Ferris

I wouldn't presume to tell people in the UK how it's going (I'm not that fucking presumptuous) but I do feel a bit like I'm looking at different data than everyone else.

Cases are increasing, no question:

But it seems like the vaccination program is working well and deaths are staying low. I suppose they typically come 2-3 weeks after case spikes so maybe that's why.

...well deaths are one thing, what about people getting severe cases (being admitted to hospital and straining the NHS)?

They seem... not ideal, obviously, but manageable? I don't know, I'm sure I'm missing something here because everyone is agreeing this is A Monster Fuckdown but so far it looks alright?

I'm not trying to downplay the severity of all this (and of course, waves look tiny before they spike very rapidly) but I think the July date to lift restrictions[nb]while some stuff like masks, social distancing, regular testing, continuing the vaccine rollout etc etc should obviously continue where practicable[/nb] is probably still on the table.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 23, 2021, 03:22:02 PM
I wouldn't presume to tell people in the UK how it's going (I'm not that fucking presumptuous) but I do feel a bit like I'm looking at different data than everyone else.

Cases are increasing, no question:

But it seems like the vaccination program is working well and deaths are staying low. I suppose they typically come 2-3 weeks after case spikes so maybe that's why.

...well deaths are one thing, what about people getting severe cases (being admitted to hospital and straining the NHS)?

They seem... not ideal, obviously, but manageable? I don't know, I'm sure I'm missing something here because everyone is agreeing this is A Monster Fuckdown but so far it looks alright?

I'm not trying to downplay the severity of all this (and of course, waves look tiny before they spike very rapidly) but I think the July date to lift restrictions[nb]while some stuff like masks, social distancing, regular testing, continuing the vaccine rollout etc etc should obviously continue where practicable[/nb] is probably still on the table.

From what you've posted i would quite simply say "its off the table"

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 23, 2021, 03:26:48 PM
From what you've posted i would quite simply say "its off the table"

Interesting - why? You have much more experience at looking at these things so would be interested in your opinion (though feel free to tell me to push off or keep it brief), I'm a neophyte who sees a line going up and another one going down and feel like I'm not really grasping what they mean, or rather I know what they mean but not the potential future implications of it all.