Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:14:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021/22: pre-seasons in the abyss

Started by sevendaughters, June 08, 2021, 10:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Blinder Data

everyone's talking about Messi being subbed. what an absurd soap opera the whole thing is. the football is now immaterial in the battle of egos.

really really hope both Messi and Ronaldo achieve nothing of note from now on. wither on the vine, fade away, your time is over.

saw a local kid wearing a PSG Messi 30 shirt recently. wanted to run up to him and yell in his face "stop getting football wrong!"

Kankurette

This kind of thing is why I celebrated when Modric won the Ballon d'Or.

chveik

Quote from: Blinder Data on September 19, 2021, 10:17:06 PM
really really hope both Messi and Ronaldo achieve nothing of note from now on. wither on the vine, fade away, your time is over.

can't disagree with the achieving part. Messi can still be a joy to watch though.

Kankurette

Saw the footage earlier. I like Messi as a player but he was acting like a spoiled brat. I'm sure Pochettino had his reasons.

Chedney Honks

He's arguably the greatest football to have ever existed so it's probably that.

imitationleather

Quote from: Chedney Honks on September 20, 2021, 06:20:45 PM
the greatest football to have ever existed

Unless Ruel Fox has been erased from existence I think not.

Inspector Norse

chveik

Quote from: Kankurette on September 20, 2021, 05:20:23 PM
Saw the footage earlier. I like Messi as a player but he was acting like a spoiled brat. I'm sure Pochettino had his reasons.

he just seemed surprised, probably the first time he was coached by such an incompetent

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Inspector Norse on September 20, 2021, 07:27:31 PM
Orange Adidas Tango surely
When I was about five or six, the lad next door had one of these, and I was reet jealous:

A football like that, I mean, not a Paul Goddard or Graeme Souness.

Vitamin C

Fantastic nutsack action from Souness there. The next frame should be the other bloke kicking him in the goolies and Souness's lips going all pursed.

bgmnts

Hearing Keith Gillespie talk about his major gambling addiction, including losing 50k betting on his own match - oops - and losing 62k in a weekend was pretty grim.

Probably common knowledge but eye opener for me. Fair play Ferguson was a ruthless cunt.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: bgmnts on September 20, 2021, 10:00:05 PMFair play Ferguson was a ruthless cunt.
Depended on the player - he was sweetness and light with Cantona. A story (told by other players) goes that after he'd been red-carded and booted Simmons down at Palace, the rest of the team played out a 1-1 draw and returned to the dressing room to a nuclear-level bollocking from the manager for throwing away a lead. After rebuking 10 players for being unfit to wear the shirt, he got to Cantona, suddenly calmed down and said "Eric, you can't be doing that".

Kankurette

I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of Cantona either tbf.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: bgmnts on September 20, 2021, 10:00:05 PM
Hearing Keith Gillespie talk about his major gambling addiction, including losing 50k betting on his own match - oops - and losing 62k in a weekend was pretty grim.

Probably common knowledge but eye opener for me. Fair play Ferguson was a ruthless cunt.

So ruthless that he forced a major shareholder out over some horse spunk, thus opening the door for the Glazers, who's holes he couldn't lick fast enough. Forever a source of mirth for me that Manchester United's greatest manager is also a main reason why the owners the fans hate are there.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on September 20, 2021, 10:31:24 PM
Forever a source of mirth for me that Manchester United's greatest manager is also a main reason why the owners the fans hate are there.
But in truth, pretty much any United fan over 18 already knows this and certainly there's some resentment towards him for it, which is balanced out by all the on-the-pitch stuff.

Matt Busby was also indirectly responsible for United ending up as a PLC in the first place, thus ensuring the later horse-spunk nonsense, by arranging for Louis Edwards to become "his man" on the board. The two of them had an agreement that their sons would end up on the board too - but Edwards reneged on his part of the agreement. Busby Jnr was given the club shop as compensation, which Edwards Jnr later snatched for himself on the cusp of the club becoming a license to print money.

Rolf Lundgren

Thought the premise of this documentary could be interesting but it's turned out to be The Man United Story. It's all well-trodden ground that's been done better before and the glossy interviews haven't uncovered anything new. The only interesting talking head has been Les Ferdinand who made a great point about Keegan's much maligned rant.

The Keith Gillespie side story seemed to be a moral tale about young players in the Prem era having access to thousands of pounds and wasting it all but that's always been there. It felt he was used here as an example of excess without a point being made or anything particularly insightful to say about it.

bgmnts

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on September 20, 2021, 10:31:24 PM
So ruthless that he forced a major shareholder out over some horse spunk, thus opening the door for the Glazers, who's holes he couldn't lick fast enough. Forever a source of mirth for me that Manchester United's greatest manager is also a main reason why the owners the fans hate are there.

No joke, there is something Ferguson I just instincively loathe, despite the suppose maturirty and bipartisanship that comes with age. I quite enjoy listen to Gary Neville on the commentaries and such now which is amazing considering how vitriolic he was and not arsed about any of the manc lads but there is something about Ferguson that rubs me wrong. Dont ask me what it is.

And the best part for me about the episode yesterday was it's focus on footballers become the new rockstars and gorgeous models, and seeing clips with Peter Beardsley still playing for the toon.

Kankurette

Everton, City and Watford all losing to lower division teams. Shows how seriously the PL take the League Cup, doesn't it?

Chollis

Kankurette

Everton are 2-1 down. I've just bunged £20 on QPR.

Kankurette

Riyad Mahrez and Phil Foden read this post and thought "lol no".

And Norwich missed a penalty.

Wonderful Butternut

JamesTC

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on September 21, 2021, 08:42:19 PM
RAFA OUT!

There are definitely bluenoses who are waiting for a few bad results to start saying that.

Wonderful Butternut

Keita hooked at HT (I suspect this was preplanned given Thiago is injured and Keita might be needed at the weekend though) and an 18 year old brought on for his debut in his place. And Liverpool's midfield becomes twice as good on the spot.

Can we just shoot him and collect the insurance?

JamesTC

Keita is great.

Chanting Suarez to Norwich is just cruel.

Chollis

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on September 21, 2021, 09:04:06 PM
Keita hooked at HT (I suspect this was preplanned given Thiago is injured and Keita might be needed at the weekend though) and an 18 year old brought on for his debut in his place. And Liverpool's midfield becomes twice as good on the spot.

Can we just shoot him and collect the insurance?

Keita's goal at the weekend means he's immune from criticism for the next few weeks. Origi scored tonight so Oxlade sacrificial scapegoat

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Chollis on September 21, 2021, 09:26:47 PM
Keita's goal at the weekend means he's immune from criticism for the next few weeks. Origi scored tonight so Oxlade sacrificial scapegoat

Ox was proper toilet in the first half though, I'd find it hard to meaningfully argue with criticism of him. He was trying, but he must've misplaced about 10 simple passes. Maybe we should've loaned him out to somewhere where he'd get a run of games. Although that might leave us short on numbers in midfield.

Morton was tidy when he came on. If he wasn't the same role as Fabinho I'd nearly start him at the weekend considering Thiago's out and Milner was ill this morning and might also miss it.

Kankurette

I am...not taking this well.

Someone please tell me how to quit football because I am so fucking SICK of this happening to me.