Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:34:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Web based photoshop alternative

Started by Gurke and Hare, June 10, 2021, 02:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Somebody's written a photoshop alternative as a web app.

https://www.photopea.com/

I don't know if it's any good, but there have been a few threads from people asking for alternatives, so I thought I'd flag it up.

mobias

Its quite impressive. How the hell can they get away with that without getting their arses sued by Adobe?

touchingcloth

This is ace - the closest web-based alternative I've seen to date, especially in terms of UX (icons, menus, shortcuts are all pretty identical).

Quote from: mobias on June 12, 2021, 11:05:10 PM
Its quite impressive. How the hell can they get away with that without getting their arses sued by Adobe?

Adobe are probably relatively limited in terms of what they hold copyright over. Image processing is a fairly generic task and Adobe's USP is in the efficiency and user-friendliness they add to things, I think. Easy enough to stay on the right side of intellectual property law if the development is done in a clean room and trademarked features are given different names (Photopea's healing brush seems to work pretty similarly to content-aware fill, for instance, but I can't see those words in use anywhere...).

I think I'll be using this a lot (hello, Wimblewrong!). I recently upgraded to a new MacBook with an ARM processor and haven't managed to find a cracked version of Photoshop which runs on it yet. I've tried out GIMP but it's got a tiny bug in Big Sur which renders it close to useless for now - selections don't show marching ants round them.