Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:23:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Afghanistan

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 08, 2021, 02:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Quote from: Jollity on August 23, 2021, 06:05:50 PM
Homophobes suddenly pretending they care very much about the good health of gay people just as an excuse to be abusive towards brown people never gets old (because it was born old).

The particular gay people abused by fundamentalist Islamic regimes are also brown people, so any observant person knows full well that "BoozeAndFagz" gets a thrill of delight from imagining the horrors they suffer.
Yep, same with Jews. They only care about us when they can use us as a stick to beat Muslims with. And how many lefties support the Taliban anyway?

And yes, they do seem to enjoy talking about gay men being hanged or thrown from buildings a little too much. Sounds like someone's jealous.

chveik

yeah horrible human rights violations used as a gotcha is not a good look

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteReports of the suppression of a handful of small protests against the new government give few details about the nature of that "opposition," including whether those engaged in the protests are acting at the instigation of the thousands of CIA agents and "contractors" left behind in Afghanistan by the US government.

I think it was a bit more than suppression, weren't people killed? Also, I'm not sure how the media are meant to know whether those protesting are being told to by the CIA. Unless there is clear evidence that they are, I would assume they are not.

I don't disagree that the corporate media is hypocritical but I'm not sure what they mean by "intensification of imperialist pressure on the war-ravaged population". If they mean trying to drum up support for another invasion, that is obviously bad and should be opposed, but if they are putting pressure on the Taliban over human rights, that is surely a good thing.

Also, I do think some groups on the left suffer from the same issues as the corporate media in terms of condemning some human rights violations and not others e.g. some groups claim it is xenophobic to criticise human rights violations in China, which is nonsense. We should stand in solidarity with people anywhere in the world experiencing human rights violations.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Kankurette on August 23, 2021, 06:17:12 PM
Yep, same with Jews. They only care about us when they can use us as a stick to beat Muslims with. And how many lefties support the Taliban anyway?

And yes, they do seem to enjoy talking about gay men being hanged or thrown from buildings a little too much. Sounds like someone's jealous.

It's good to see the relative priorities of their hatred though. I remember some Rangers fans when they signed Mark Walters, they didn't speak for weeks as their brains were so tied up with cognitive dissonance.

Fambo Number Mive

I suppose one test of whether the media is only mentioning human rights in Afghanistan to beat the drum for another war is if they are calling on countries like the US, UK and Australia to take more refugees. If they aren't, it does feel a bit hypocritical.

Offering a new life for those at risk of being oppressed by the Taliban, in particular Afghanistan women, LGBT people, artists and those who helped the coalition forces, and providing food aid for those still in Afghanistan, are in my view the two ways we can do some good having helped fuck up Afghanistan for 20 years along with the Taliban and the rest of the coalition.

Be interesting to see how much domestic resistance there is to the Taliban - BBC reports there is a "resistance group" called the NRF which is still holding out in one small part of Afghanistan, like Asterix and his village against the Romans.

mothman

QuoteReports of the suppression of a handful of small protests against the new government give few details about the nature of that "opposition," including whether those engaged in the protests are acting at the instigation of the thousands of CIA agents and "contractors" left behind in Afghanistan by the US government.

Because perish the thought that any of the noble peasant folk, mere simple savages that they are, might have any opinions of their own regarding the sort of government they have or how it's been imposed on them...

But using Afghanistan to push ones own agenda is bad, the article makes pains to stress (seemingly honestly, which adds to the Spart-like hilarity of it).

And, "thousands" of CIA agents? Gosh.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAlso, I do think some groups on the left suffer from the same issues as the corporate media in terms of condemning some human rights violations and not others e.g. some groups claim it is xenophobic to criticise human rights violations in China, which is nonsense. We should stand in solidarity with people anywhere in the world experiencing human rights violations

I think people are doing. They just don't agree that it's wise or even possible to remake parts of the world in our image by gunpoint.

poo

Looking forward to the Taliban pwning England at cricket.

Kankurette

Quote from: jamiefairlie on August 23, 2021, 07:42:54 PM
It's good to see the relative priorities of their hatred though. I remember some Rangers fans when they signed Mark Walters, they didn't speak for weeks as their brains were so tied up with cognitive dissonance.
See also: Chelsea fans who shout abuse at black people and make hissing noises, even though they had the likes of Didier Drogba and Samuel Eto'o and they're owned by a Jew.

I guess they think their black players are the 'good ones'.

Fambo Number Mive

Good to see Oxford Stand Up to Racism out in the city centre calling for the UK government to take in more refugees from Afghanistan.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Kankurette on August 24, 2021, 09:54:22 AM
See also: Chelsea fans who shout abuse at black people and make hissing noises, even though they had the likes of Didier Drogba and Samuel Eto'o and they're owned by a Jew.

I guess they think their black players are the 'good ones'.

I mean, 70% of American Football players are black, and it's the most popular sport in the USA, particularly the southern states. I think they can look past their skin colour if they're doing something which benefits them/their team (see also: slave owners).

Crisps?

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 23, 2021, 07:39:10 PM
some groups claim it is xenophobic to criticise human rights violations in China, which is nonsense.

What's nonsense is pretending the criticism of human rights violations in China is necessarily sincere, when in recent years it seems like a good cover for racist, right-wing Americans and Asians to openly spew anti-Chinese abuse, or in real life beat up anyone who looks Chinese. Their code word for Chinese people, "CCP", has certainly flown under the radar a lot more successfully than "Zionist" did for anti-Semites.

QuoteWe should stand in solidarity with people anywhere in the world experiencing human rights violations.

But mostly just start threads criticising China and bring up China in threads about Afghanistan.

mothman

You quote someone saying "some groups claim it is xenophobic to criticise human rights violations in China, which is nonsense" - and then say any criticism of human rights in China is xenophobic? U OK hun?

And, last I checked, CCP was a commonly-used acronym for the Chinese Communist Party. The ruling party in China - some might even say, the actual raison d'etre for the state and government of China itself to actually exist? Maybe racists do think they're being very clever by covering their hatreds with acronyms, who can tell, they are by their very nature fucking morons. But implying that therefore anyone who uses the term CCP is racist, well, maybe file that under "fucking moronic" too.

The context Fambo brought up said abuses was perfectly valid in the context of how people react to them, elsewhere. Frankly it looks like you're having some knee-jerk reaction to any criticism of China, to which there's really only one response: Pearly, is that you?

chveik

fucking groundhog day again

pearly appears to have left, sadly

imitationleather

I was a big fan of China until they made teaching their kids English illegal.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Crisps? on August 25, 2021, 12:26:55 AM
What's nonsense is pretending the criticism of human rights violations in China is necessarily sincere, when in recent years it seems like a good cover for racist, right-wing Americans and Asians to openly spew anti-Chinese abuse, or in real life beat up anyone who looks Chinese. Their code word for Chinese people, "CCP", has certainly flown under the radar a lot more successfully than "Zionist" did for anti-Semites.

But mostly just start threads criticising China and bring up China in threads about Afghanistan.

What about people in China experiencing human rights abuses from their government?  Shouldn't we express solidarity with them?

Some people who criticise human rights in China have ulterior motives, but that doesn't mean all of them do. Most of the right in America seem more focused about going on about the origins of Covid these days.

It's like how Chinese pro-government outlets sometimes bring up Western human rights violations, and you wonder how sincere they are in their criticism, but it doesn't make criticism of these Western human rights violations wrong.

No government should be above criticism, they are the ones that hold much of the power. And as mothman says, CCP refers to the government of China not the Chinese people.

Crisps?

Quote from: mothman on August 25, 2021, 01:18:20 AMYou quote someone saying "some groups claim it is xenophobic to criticise human rights violations in China, which is nonsense" - and then say any criticism of human rights in China is xenophobic?

The fact that you aren't quoting me saying that should be a big enough clue.

QuoteAnd, last I checked, CCP was a commonly-used acronym for the Chinese Communist Party. The ruling party in China

There's no such thing as the "Chinese Communist Party". The ruling party in China is the Communist Party of China, and if this knee-jerk reaction of yours is because you use "CCP" and what I posted hit a nerve, then please explain why you insist on using a made up term favoured by thick Americans and racists over the correct, official term used by China.

QuoteFrankly it looks like you're having some knee-jerk reaction to any criticism of China to which there's really only one response: Pearly, is that you?

It looks to me like you're going slightly overboard about a three sentence reply to one post.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 25, 2021, 08:07:20 AM
Some people who criticise human rights in China have ulterior motives, but that doesn't mean all of them do. Most of the right in America seem more focused about going on about the origins of Covid these days.

I didn't say all of them do. Enough of them do that xenophobia as a motivation can't be just dismissed as "nonsense".

QuoteIt's like how Chinese pro-government outlets sometimes bring up Western human rights violations, and you wonder how sincere they are in their criticism, but it doesn't make criticism of these Western human rights violations wrong.

We know they aren't sincere. The question is what are they motivated by. Anti-white feeling? I'd say it's more ideological or geopolitical, and doesn't seem to come from the people themselves, as it does in the West.

Most of the criticism of China that I've seen from Americans and Asians has been clearly motivated by nationalist hatred of China and/or outright racism. I would even say the Asians I've seen are, if not more racist, far more open in their racism than Americans.

QuoteNo government should be above criticism, they are the ones that hold much of the power. And as mothman says, CCP refers to the government of China not the Chinese people.

No it doesn't. But even if you refuse to admit that, the fact that it's the term of choice for racists should be reason enough to stop using it and instead simply say "government of China", if that's what you're talking about.

Zetetic

I don't think your analysis of the "CCP" vs. "CPC" choice in English-language writing is quite right.

The former remains in wide use across almost all contexts and users outside of the output of the Chinese state itself. I don't think you can really draw a strong signal from its use by someone.

jobotic

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 25, 2021, 08:07:20 AM
What about people in China experiencing human rights abuses from their government?  Shouldn't we express solidarity with them?

You missed this bit, Crisps?

idunnosomename

FUCK OFF!

we're the Communist Party of China

robhug

Retinend

Quote from: Zetetic on August 25, 2021, 08:56:36 AM
I don't think your analysis of the "CCP" vs. "CPC" choice in English-language writing is quite right.

I'd go so far as to call it "wrong".

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 25, 2021, 06:39:37 AM
https://consortiumnews.com/2021/08/24/john-pilger-the-great-game-of-smashing-nations/

Had stopped my daily reading of CN[nb]not a racist initialization, promise[/nb] a few years ago as they seemed to go a bit trumpist/adjacent. Looks like they are back on target. May be that I was not a big enough thinker to get what they were doing at the time though.

Blumf

Quote from: Crisps? on August 25, 2021, 12:26:55 AM
Their code word for Chinese people, "CCP", has certainly flown under the radar a lot more successfully than "Zionist" did for anti-Semites.

One of the most absurd things I've ever read on this site, by far. Have you read a single book about modern China? You are coming across as deeply ignorant and ridiculous.

gilbertharding

Yeah - unless you call it Zhōngguó Gòngchǎndǎng and pronounce it correctly with all the glottal stops and emphasis on the correct syllables, you're being racist.

Mister Six

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 25, 2021, 12:22:23 PM
Yeah - unless you call it Zhōngguó Gòngchǎndǎng and pronounce it correctly with all the glottal stops and emphasis on the correct syllables, you're being racist.

What about the proper tones?

You fucking racist.

Theremin

That's what the accents on the letters are, you round-eye devil!