Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:44:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Succession season 3

Started by Blue Jam, July 15, 2021, 10:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This show is like nothing else, and just amazing.

Great episode, bit of Spaceman 3 made even better.

Waking Life

Quote from: selectivememory on November 29, 2021, 10:42:07 PMThe more I see of this season, the more I think Kendall is just trying to drown out the voice in his head that's telling him to kill himself. Refusing his dad's offer to buy him out for two billion is utterly irrational behaviour. Even if he "wins," whatever that might look like, he's still going to be miserable and lonely.

This might not be far off, as not really sure where they can take his character after this season. Feels like he's reaching the end of his arc (except maybe for the car crash story, which may not be revisited now) and they had a lingering period of him looking over the precipice. I wouldn't like that as a piece of plotting, although would at least be interesting to see how it would affect Logan and Roman.

The scene where Kendall was
Spoiler alert
looking for the present from his kids while the chemical brothers played in the background
[close]
was extremely tough to watch. So claustrophobic.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on November 30, 2021, 09:59:57 AMThe scene where Kendall was
Spoiler alert
looking for the present from his kids while the chemical brothers played in the background
[close]
was extremely tough to watch. So claustrophobic.

Kendall giving himself and his fake friends a better "childhood" than the one he's giving to his actual children. Heartbreaking.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 30, 2021, 10:12:24 AMKendall giving himself and his fake friends a better "childhood" than the one he's giving to his actual children. Heartbreaking.

And probably his own. A telling moment from Connor about taking Kendall and Roman on a trip because Logan couldn't be bothered. They've spent so much of their lives trying to win the love of their abusive father, Connor is perhaps the real father figure but they can't even acknowledge it.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: selectivememory on November 29, 2021, 10:42:07 PMThe more I see of this season, the more I think Kendall is just trying to drown out the voice in his head that's telling him to kill himself.

When he said near the end "I wish I was... home", there was definitely a feeling with that pause that he nearly let something else slip out.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 30, 2021, 09:26:27 PMAnd probably his own. A telling moment from Connor about taking Kendall and Roman on a trip because Logan couldn't be bothered. They've spent so much of their lives trying to win the love of their abusive father, Connor is perhaps the real father figure but they can't even acknowledge it.

Yeah - there was the thing with Roman using a fishing expedition with Connor when he had to give an interviewer an anecdote about his dad.

What was with the jacket?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Mobius on November 29, 2021, 10:06:00 PMKendall's party looked like a level from Hitman

Psychonauts 2 for me.

Quote from: Inspector Norse on November 30, 2021, 09:31:00 PMWhat was with the jacket?

Wearing a wire? ;) I assumed he was just a bit embarrassed about his injury after having a fall, he didn't want to be seen as an old man.

Quote from: Waking Life on November 30, 2021, 09:19:09 AMthey had a lingering period of [Kendall] looking over the precipice.

Was that shot of Tom looking over the balcony looking humiliated as he watched Shiv's attention-seeking dancing deliberately mirroring that? That was so sad after last week's meeting between Tom and Kendall at the diner where Tom reminded us that, while he may be a grasping social climber, he does genuinely love Shiv and would rather go to prison for a short stretch than alienate her family and lose her forever. Cut to the party and a few painful reminders that Shiv doesn't love him back, doesn't want to be the mother of his children, and was probably looking forward to him going to prison so she could shag around behind his back. That's his life as a free man, and it's utterly miserable.

I did like Tom telling Shiv he planned to celebrate his freedom by getting absolutely fucked at the party... if she was okay with that. Poor bastard.

Was Naomi's expensive but impersonal gift of a watch a bit of a callback to Shiv and Tom getting Logan a Patek Philippe for his 80th, with Tom being eager for him to realise how much they'd spent on him?

Blue Jam

Anyone else wish the content warnings weren't inadvertently spoilery for this show? No warnings about drug use yet so we knew Kendall wasn't going to fall off the wagon. Another big blowout does feel inevitable though.

Might have to hit mute before next week's episode.

Enzo

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 30, 2021, 09:59:32 PMAnyone else wish the content warnings weren't inadvertently spoilery for this show? No warnings about drug use yet so we knew Kendall wasn't going to fall off the wagon. Another big blowout does feel inevitable though.

Might have to hit mute before next week's episode.

I'm pretty sure Kendall's been off the wagon for a while, unless I'm wrong?

Mobius

They haven't shown him taking drugs but I figured he was considering how up and down he's been all season but that might just be a mental health thing I suppose.

up_the_hampipe

Yeah, it seems implied at this point. You don't need to see him doing it, you just know from his behaviour. He's still with Naomi, which will presumably remain a co-dependent addict relationship until they split.

Vitalstatistix

Greg getting the date due to "rancor or pique" - lovely little line.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Inspector Norse on November 30, 2021, 09:31:00 PMWhen he said near the end "I wish I was... home", there was definitely a feeling with that pause that he nearly let something else slip out.
Quote from: Waking Life on November 30, 2021, 09:19:09 AMthey had a lingering period of him looking over the precipice.

Oh, and this:

Too much to be coincidental.

Jack Shaftoe

Wow, I missed that. What's the full bit of writing?

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on December 01, 2021, 09:22:53 AMWow, I missed that. What's the full bit of writing?

Also, am I the only one who wanted to see Little Wu Tang Clan perform?

Jack Shaftoe

Ohhhh, my hip hop knowledge is poor, I thought they cut the end of a sign saying 'ready to diet' or summink.

Quote from: Inspector Norse on November 30, 2021, 09:31:00 PMWhen he said near the end "I wish I was... home", there was definitely a feeling with that pause that he nearly let something else slip out.

Yeah - there was the thing with Roman using a fishing expedition with Connor when he had to give an interviewer an anecdote about his dad.

What was with the jacket?

https://uproxx.com/tv/succession-connor-broken-arm-real-reason/

Real injury apparently written into the show

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on December 01, 2021, 11:01:29 AMOhhhh, my hip hop knowledge is poor, I thought they cut the end of a sign saying 'ready to diet' or summink.

Haha, "Ready To Diet" sounds like it'd be a Biggie diss track. Or a Weird Al song.

Glyn

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on December 01, 2021, 02:59:38 AMGreg getting the date due to "rancor or pique" - lovely little line.

"Who's here ? Who isn't here?" "Dad? Mum? Your wife and kids?"
Made me have to catch my breath. This show always seems to raise its game when Georgia Pritchett is on script duty.

Mobius

Doesn't really matter but does anyone know why Succession is just Jesse Armstrong and no Sam Bain involvement? I thought they'd worked together on everything.

poo

Another great episode. Hopefully a turning point for Ken, but that car crash ain't going away, is it?

poo

Fucking love the Greg and WAMBSGANS scenes. Just absolute gold every time.

Chollis

I wonder what Nicholas Braun will do after Succession, I hadn't seen him in anything before this. Very funny bloke

Mr Farenheit

Great episode. Watched it twice and caught the shitting in the bag story which I missed first time round.
Lots of highlights- the thought that must have gone into getting the blandest possible birthday card, Kendal going full Dawn Davenport in the presents room, the complimenters' smiles instantly disappearing when Tom turned on them.

It occurred to me that Shiv might be the worst choice to succeed, she doesn't seem to have any skill or luck at the high end business stuff. I think Logans proposal when he first offered her the crown was best- learn the ropes first by shadowing Frank, doing 6 months in Shanghai, 6 months in London or whatever it was. Kendall is messed up but he did seem to understand numbers and the mechanics of it all. Roman couldn't hold a board meeting without leaving the room to jerk off but he seems to be good at networking with fellow rich psychopaths and really revelled in fucking over his rivals this week.

non capisco

Quote from: Chollis on December 02, 2021, 11:38:08 AMI wonder what Nicholas Braun will do after Succession, I hadn't seen him in anything before this. Very funny bloke

He's good in the film 'Zola', playing if anything an even more pathetic character than Greg.

selectivememory

Holy shit. What an episode.

Spoiler alert
The dick pic! Screaming.
[close]

Spoiler alert
So was that final scene Kendall's death? Felt ambiguous. I guess we'll find out next week.
[close]

Mobius

Do we really need spoilers for episodes that have already aired!

Spoiler alert
Roman's face and body language after the dick pic was just amazing.
[close]

WhoMe

That was a masterpiece of an episode. The layers of psyche the writers manage to expose and explore with these characters is amazing. 

Spoiler alert

^ Sums it up

selectivememory

Quote from: Mobius on December 06, 2021, 09:38:32 PMDo we really need spoilers for episodes that have already aired!

Yeah, I normally go along with this, dunno why I spoilered my post.