Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:38:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games - Sponsored by Covid-19

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 23, 2021, 12:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyg27

The range isn't as good as Discovery+ but Eurosport seem to have a lot more channels for the duration of the games, which is the best non-streaming bet for finding some of the more esoteric stuff.

Quote from: imitationleather on July 27, 2021, 03:19:05 PM
It's a bit annoying (but totally expected) that the reaction on social media to the lack of coverage seems to be aimed at the BBC themselves for not being able to afford it, rather than the government for cutting their funding to the bone.

I hope these guys will be happy when the World Cup is on Sky Sports.

Was the Olympics taken off the protected events list, or was it ever on there in the first place? It's noticeable how a lot of sports are turning their back on Sky / BT for terrestrial exposure, especially for international events.

Thursday

Should just have it in London again. Works well here with our relatively mild weather and everything is so close together and the time suits me more.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Jasha on July 26, 2021, 09:07:39 PM
Felt sorry for the lad who fell off and had to push his bike up the hill

commentary on that was exquisite, "yer lad is making up, cranking a big gear up this long, long hill ... oh ... " as mechanics and physics double teamed him.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Ted-Maul on July 27, 2021, 02:55:12 PM
I watched that. Just seeing the waves and awful weather condition before the start of the race and discovering they were caused by a typhoon got the athletes by respect. Then they kept making them ride bikes over a soggy carpet... fair fucks to everyone for just staying the course on this one....

Yeah, atrocious conditions, quite a few crashing out victims on the way. Just watching them pelting along that wet surface made me nervous. Kudos to Georgia Taylor-Brown for cycling for 2km with a flat back tire, dropping to fifth and then beasting it during the running section to get silver.

DrGreggles

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 27, 2021, 03:57:39 PM
Yeah, atrocious conditions, quite a few crashing out victims on the way. Just watching them pelting along that wet surface made me nervous. Kudos to Georgia Taylor-Brown for cycling for 2km with a flat back tire, dropping to fifth and then beasting it during the running section to get silver.

Fucking idiot. Should have put air in it.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Jasha on July 26, 2021, 09:07:39 PM
Felt sorry for the lad who fell off and had to push his bike up the hill

I felt sorry for Alpecin-Fenix's Matthieu 'have you heard of my Grandpa' van der Poel who abandoned the Tour to prepare for the MTB race:

QuoteDuring Van der Poel's reconnaissance of the course, a descending wooden plank had been in place at the point in which he would crash. Writing on Twitter, Van der Poel said he was unaware that the plank would be removed for the race itself.

Both Dutch national coach Gerben de Knegt and Van der Poel's teammate Milan Vader, who placed 10th, could not explain how the pre-race favourite had not realised the plank would be removed.

"Mathieu said: 'Gosh everyone jumps there.' I asked: 'Won't you, then?' He said, 'No, I'll roll off that plank,' Then I said that they had removed that board at the test event in 2019 for the competition."

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The IOC made the choice to sell the rights to Discovery and are, like all sporting bodies, total cunts.

chveik

Quote from: buttgammon on July 27, 2021, 08:55:22 AM
Jonathan Liew has written a column about the pointlessness of men's football in the Olympics. It's certainly a weird competition, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a full match of Olympic football, despite it being my favourite sport. When you consider the fixture congestion and fatigue that has mounted up over the last season, it seems particularly absurd this time.

Put it this way: I considered posting this in the football thread and decided against it.

they should deffo replace it by futsal

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It would make more sense if it had a consistent and distinctive rule rather than the teams just being odds and ends. For instance, an under 17s tournament, or maybe mixed gender teams (50/50 outfield and female goalies). Only brainstorming but maybe that would add something that you get with mixed doubles.

No problem at all with it being an Olympic sport.

Jasha

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 27, 2021, 05:15:43 PM
No problem at all with it being an Olympic sport.

All seems a bit pointless though, Olympic gold might be the pinnacle for the athletics  boxing gymnastics or any of the what the fuck never seen that before sports (even considering they all have their own respective world competitions) but I can't imagine any of the footballers would turn down a WC win for an Olympic medal

Cuellar

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 27, 2021, 03:12:15 PM
ENABLER

Chuck him off CaB for the duration

I just want to watch weightlifting and fencing, and the morons at the BBC aren't going to use their precious 2 live events on those

Jasha

Quote from: Cuellar on July 27, 2021, 05:32:26 PM
I just want to watch weightlifting someone strain so much they pass out or pop a turd out their arse and fencing, and the morons at the BBC aren't going to use their precious 2 live events on those

Thursday

Make something like five-a-side football an Olympic sport instead, people would enjoy that.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 27, 2021, 04:24:37 PM
I felt sorry for Alpecin-Fenix's Matthieu 'have you heard of my Grandpa' van der Poel who abandoned the Tour to prepare for the MTB race:

What? Van der poel lost?! I thought he was a shoe in

imitationleather

Quote from: Thursday on July 27, 2021, 06:34:54 PM
Make something like five-a-side football an Olympic sport instead, people would enjoy that.

We already have a true leader and captain for Team GB.

buttgammon

Quote from: imitationleather on July 27, 2021, 08:06:33 PM
We already have a true leader and captain for Team GB.

Sent off for a two-footed tackle in a group stage game against the Central African Republic in a desperate attempt to appeal to the white working class.

imitationleather

This BBC highlights coverage is a total waste of time, isn't it? Five minute chunks (at best) devoid of all the drama and tension that watching sport is supposed to involve. And they seem to spend more time interviewing people the competitors went to school with or others tangentially related to them than showing any sport.

I know they're making the best of a bad lot but it really is crap to watch.

I wonder how many people have actually signed up to Discovery+. Seems a bit pointless to bother now we're over 25% of the way through the Olympics.

Poobum

The lack of chemistry between Claire Balding and Alex Scott, along with Alex Scott's Partridge level cringe, gives it all an ambience of an awkward dinner party you just wanna leave. Don't wanna be there when the thin veneer of civility hiding the seething hatred in this failed marriage finally wears down.

imitationleather

I think Alex Scott is actually a decent football pundit but there's definite panic in her eyes when she's discussing sports she's less familiar with.

Being able to sound like you watch triathlons, hockey, sailing and dressage more frequently than once every four years is an essential skill in an Olympics broadcaster.

Kankurette

Can't Scott just stick to football? Why can't they get an Olympic athlete to do it?

And wtf has happened to Simone Biles?

mothman

Quote from: Kankurette on July 27, 2021, 10:39:09 PM
Can't Scott just stick to football? Why can't they get an Olympic athlete to do it?

And wtf has happened to Simone Biles?

COVID, I reckon. Probably loads of the Yanks have it but if they admit it they'll all have to withdraw from events, their seemingly God-given place at the top of the medals table will be lost and all the money the US've pumped into undetectable smart drugs and subverting doping tests will go to waste.

As for Scott, Lineker's first big test as a pundit/anchor after stopping playing football was presenting the evening highlights packages for Atlanta '96, and he was pretty good. So, you never know...

EOLAN

Team GB mens four rowing team blew up spectacularly in the final. Almost took the Italians out of race too as they held on to Bronze.

Chedney Honks

Without being able to actually watch the events, it's hard to get into this. Currently feels like a total washout. It's like football without crowds. Who gives a fuck? Still, at least it'll cause tens of thousands more Covid deaths around the world.

chveik

stupidest name i've encountered so far

Chad Le Clos

chveik

it certainly feels hollow, there are some expressions of joy but mostly they're just contractually obliged to be there and give some exposure to their discipline

bgmnts

So that's two athletes sent home for refusing to face an Israeli athlete. Unsure if it'll mean anything but fair play to them for having some conviction.

Old Thrashbarg

Is this particular Israeli judoka vehemently anti-Palestinian? Letting him win a gold medal through all of his opponents withdrawing doesn't seem like the best way to advance the cause.

Spode

Shaping up to be a decent last twenty minutes or so on the men's time trial.

Hoping Roglic can keep this up.

Norton Canes