News:

Registrations are currently delayed due to a spam wave, please bear with me.


The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games - Sponsored by Covid-19

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 23, 2021, 12:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poobum

Hot take - turning combat sports into weird hard to follow games so people don't get hurt is stoopid. Judo, win by breaking arms; taekwondo, kick the head off; fencing, run the bastard through. Death games.

Thursday

Quote from: Poobum on July 25, 2021, 03:00:30 PM
Hot take - turning combat sports into weird hard to follow games so people don't get hurt is stoopid. Judo, win by breaking arms; taekwondo, kick the head off; fencing, run the bastard through. Death games.

Think I agree actually, they're constantly stopped any time they start to get interesting.

Would also be in favour of the pole vault taking place on medieval castles while people fire arrows and throw oil at them.

BlodwynPig


BlodwynPig

Quote from: Thursday on July 25, 2021, 03:24:31 PM
Think I agree actually, they're constantly stopped any time they start to get interesting.

Would also be in favour of the pole vault taking place on medieval castles while people fire arrows and throw oil at them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QsbwgrRts4

imitationleather

Christ. Why do they interview sportspeople? There cannot be duller public figures.

Unless it's Diego Maradona I don't want to hear them about their boring lives.

Also first time I've switched the Olympics on and of course it's the fucking dressage. Some posh cunt making a horse dance. This is not a sport!

imitationleather

Now the skateboarding lot. I wouldn't mind hearing an interview with them.

They were raised on the streets. They're probably all big-time opioid addicts!

Spode

Quote from: Jasha on July 25, 2021, 02:19:49 PM
You don't happen to work for HM Customs do you?

I'm the chief of police you stupid idiot.

Trying to catch up on the women's cycling road race and it's a nightmare. They just cut to and away from it on all the bits I've watched on the iplayer, excluding the break away from the leading pack and the end of the race. Anyone know where I can watch it properly (or decent highlights)?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on July 25, 2021, 06:49:37 PM
Trying to catch up on the women's cycling road race and it's a nightmare. They just cut to and away from it on all the bits I've watched on the iplayer, excluding the break away from the leading pack and the end of the race. Anyone know where I can watch it properly (or decent highlights)?

Lanterne Rouge (+podcast), both on youtube for the best analysis

imitationleather

Apparently barely any live events are on the BBC now as they've lost the rights. You need to watch Eurosport instead.

buttgammon

Quote from: imitationleather on July 25, 2021, 07:05:23 PM
Apparently barely any live events are on the BBC now as they've lost the rights. You need to watch Eurosport instead.

So this explains it! I was wondering why practically everything on the Beeb was on delay, while other channels were showing more live stuff. I've been mostly watching RTÉ's coverage anyway; it's quite basic but has a better range of events than the BBC and less twee, matey shite.

Thanks dudes. I feel a bit silly watching the detailed analysis without having seen the race but I'll make do!

Thursday

Yeah shame that, who the fuck has Eurosport?

Are there any other cheeky streams I can watch?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on July 25, 2021, 07:05:23 PM
Apparently barely any live events are on the BBC now as they've lost the rights. You need to watch Eurosport instead.

I did wonder. A toss up between the dressage and yachting!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on July 25, 2021, 07:17:49 PM
Thanks dudes. I feel a bit silly watching the detailed analysis without having seen the race but I'll make do!

There are quite a few (GCN on youtube) that will do a highlights package. Lanterne Rouge doesn't have spoilers in the title or thumbnail though like the other bastards.

bakabaka

Quote from: Thursday on July 25, 2021, 07:19:10 PM
Yeah shame that, who the fuck has Eurosport?

Are there any other cheeky streams I can watch?
If you're in America (or your server is), there's loads of live Olympics here: https://www.nbcolympics.com/

Though watching the men's road race (cycling) commentated on by an Australian who knew nothing about cycling was annoying, almost as annoying as his constant interrupting of his co-presenter who I think was a professional cyclist and knew her stuff.

Spode

Quote from: bakabaka on July 25, 2021, 07:48:58 PM
If you're in America (or your server is), there's loads of live Olympics here: https://www.nbcolympics.com/

Though watching the men's road race (cycling) commentated on by an Australian who knew nothing about cycling was annoying, almost as annoying as his constant interrupting of his co-presenter who I think was a professional cyclist and knew her stuff.

I was watching it on the GCN+ app and it switched at the very end to those two. They had Carapaz down as some jobber who'd bagged a stage win here and there as he crossed the line. Awful stuff.

sevendaughters

switched off in a huff when they started interviewing the takewondo silver medallist's mum and sister, patronisation out of the wazzer, you wouldn't Zoom Mason Mount's da and ask him if this is surreal

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Spode on July 25, 2021, 07:56:48 PM
I was watching it on the GCN+ app and it switched at the very end to those two. They had Carapaz down as some jobber who'd bagged a stage win here and there as he crossed the line. Awful stuff.

I noticed that too. I thought it was going to switch over this morning too as the comms cut out for a few seconds. Thankfully not, the commentator did quite an emotional ending to the race (despite not really having the best cycling comms voice).

EOLAN

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 25, 2021, 03:27:05 PM
Allez! (relevant for France's first gold).

And ye have beaten the Dream Team. Though wasn't that big of a shock.
France in white against USA in blue was very confusing through.

Jasha

Quote from: Thursday on July 25, 2021, 03:24:31 PM
Would also be in favour of the pole vault taking place on medieval castles while people fire arrows and throw oil at them.

Moat full of crocodiles

BlodwynPig

Quote from: EOLAN on July 25, 2021, 09:04:42 PM
And ye have beaten the Dream Team. Though wasn't that big of a shock.
France in white against USA in blue was very confusing through.

25 year unbeaten streak

mothman

I've probably told this story before, but in New Zealand they really don't like the British. Genuinely. Never mind they're all mostly descended from us. So watching the Olympics over there was a surreal experience. Because they WOULD NOT show any event that had a British participant. Unless - and only if - there was also a Kiwi entrant. So we got to see the Brits win some rowing. But they cut away from the award ceremony as soon as the New Zealand crew had been awarded their bronze medals.

buttgammon

The benefit of the triathlon having to start at stupid o'clock because of the heat is that I get to watch it before going to bed, but I got the time wrong and missed the swim-to-bike transition, which is always the best bit. Dammit!

jobotic

Love a triathlon. Thought about entering a duathlon in the past (my swimming skills don't go beyond "I can swim") when I was younger and fitter. Wish I had.

buttgammon

I can't swim either but I'd be up for that, but for the fact that I haven't cycled for years and don't own a bike, and haven't even been running in a few months.

Spudgun

For anyone with Sky, channels 981-989 are carrying (relatively) raw feeds of events. I think they're free to air.

jobotic

Quote from: buttgammon on July 25, 2021, 11:13:22 PM
I can't swim either but I'd be up for that, but for the fact that I haven't cycled for years and don't own a bike, and haven't even been running in a few months.

Go for it. Follow your dream. I believe in you.

buttgammon

Quote from: jobotic on July 25, 2021, 11:21:03 PM
Go for it. Follow your dream. I believe in you.

Not sure if I do but maybe some day in the future!

The Olympics are a minefield for someone in their thirties, because the thought of a parallel universe where you became a world class archer or BMX rider are irresistible.