Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:14:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 13: Goodbye, Mr. Chibs

Started by Norton Canes, August 10, 2021, 01:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Alberon

What took my interest the most was this-

This one isn't Chibnall's fault. These sort of staged photo/artwork almost always end up looking false and wank, but the problem here is front and centre. Dan is looking suitably wary, Yaz has a plastic half smile, but the Doctor's face is just, well... there.

Must admit it looks drawn on compared to her companions. What emotion is being conveyed there?

Mister Six

Yeah it looks like it's been photoshopped on, and badly, doesn't it? Blame whoever directed the photoshoot, I guess? Although it looks a bit odd that the two professional actors are being out-acted by the stand-up comedian.

Yaz looks like a PS3 cutscene character that's glitched slightly.

Replies From View

episode 7 the doctor yaz and dan go on a bouncy castle etc

GoblinAhFuckScary

really wanted to like yaz but why does she look so booooooored all the tiiiiime

Mister Six

Have you seen the dialogue they give her?

However else this turns out, I do hope Mandip Gill gets something meaty to work with (within Chibnall parameters, of course, so at least a chicken wing to gnaw on, rather than her usual scraps) and that John Bishop doesn't end up being the focus of all the scripts.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Mister Six on October 26, 2021, 06:56:06 PM
However else this turns out, I do hope Mandip Gill gets something meaty to work with (within Chibnall parameters, of course, so at least a chicken wing to gnaw on, rather than her usual scraps) and that John Bishop doesn't end up being the focus of all the scripts.

I think it was your good self who pointed out that the reason Graham felt slightly more fleshed-out than the other two companions was because he's an ordinary middle-aged man, which is a character Chibnall can relate to. I suspect the same will be true of Dan.

Mister Six

I think it was. Truly, only being able to empathise with characters that are just like you is the sign of a great writer. And definitely the right person to craft the first female Doctor.

Midas

Mister Six

I do hope Davies sacks off the fucking orange and teal, or at least tones it down.

Thomas

From watching similarly afflicted films and dramas, it appears the props and set teams are tasked with working toward the teal-and-orange effect, so that physical items assist the eventual filter. This was very obvious in the BBC's Bodyguard, for example. Everything in yer man's flat was orange or blue, and everything the characters wore sat along that bandwith. And look in that image above - every surface, every garment complements the narrow spectrum. Even the coat-hangers are blue.

Even if you don't mind the filter, why have all the colours in the universe suddenly been drastically reduced? Another budget cut gag?

Mister Six

Oh yeah, absolutely - that's why those curtains and that panelling was picked, I'm sure of it.

Christ, I don't know, my eyes are so knackered by this shit that maybe the Moffat series were similarly afflicted. But they don't look nearly as bad.

JamesTC

Watching through Series 5-10 (currently on 9) and I think Series 5 is by far and away the best the show has looked. Felt more natural and rich. I don't watch Chibnall Who but from the pictures and brief clips in trailers, it looks as tacky as Sarah Jane Adventures.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: Mister Six on October 26, 2021, 08:34:30 PM
Oh yeah, absolutely - that's why those curtains and that panelling was picked, I'm sure of it.

Christ, I don't know, my eyes are so knackered by this shit that maybe the Moffat series were similarly afflicted.

Maybe?

Replies From View

It's also why Whittaker's TARDIS exterior is the specific shade of blue it is.  Note that the issue isn't about, say, anything vaguely yellow against any shade of blue.  It's this specific shade of teal being used for everything, along with the orange it has to pop against.

(Moffat era on the left, Chibnall era on the right)

I absolutely hate it.

These curtains are exactly the same shade of teal as that TARDIS:

Quote from: Midas on October 26, 2021, 07:58:22 PM

Replies From View

Christ, I don't know, my eyes are so knackered by this shit that maybe the Moffat series were similarly afflicted. But they don't look nearly as bad.

I think it's just Amy's hair giving that effect.  All the rest is far away from the teal and orange spectrum in both grading and prop/costume choices.

olliebean

I'm wondering if we're going to be getting a new intro sequence, featuring those bright multicoloured streamers that have been all over the publicity shots and trailers.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on October 27, 2021, 10:13:13 AM
I'm wondering if we're going to be getting a new intro sequence, featuring those bright multicoloured streamers that have been all over the publicity shots and trailers.

Haven't we had that kind of thing since the start of Whittaker's time? 

Not specifically streamers I suppose, but maybe there have been.  I can't really be arsed to dig very deeply.  I think they're just meant to be an aesthetic extension of the stripes on her clothes though - nothing more profound.

Mister Six

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to indicate branching/mixing timelines.

But yeah, it would be nice to see people using colour grading to make things vibrant and exciting rather than turning everything into the same blue-orange slush. Worked fine for the desert planet in The Ghost Monument, but the Sheffield countryside in Resolution looked like a brown-green smudgy mess.

Deanjam

Mister Six

Hearts and minds.

I completely forgot this was on this weekend.

Chairman Yang

Ahaha, that's ace. I fully expected the CaB thread to kick off over the promotion but I didn't expect the rags to be so bitchy about it.

I mean imagine they cancel the show due to low ratings before RTD can sort it out. That can't happen, can it?

I'd be the last person to argue that the press are entitled to screeners, but... this is supposedly one of the BBC's flagship shows. Is it not in their best interests to let journalists see the first episode of a new series? So they can say something about it? Otherwise you end up with previews like the ones posted above: vaguely pissed off and utterly pointless. That's no way to promote a TV show.

And it's not as if I'm personally aggrieved, I'll dutifully sit through it on Sunday like everyone else. Not arsed, cigs. But imagine if the BBC did this with a new series of Line of Duty or Happy Valley. Well they wouldn't, would they? Bizarre.

Quote from: canted_angle_again on October 27, 2021, 09:11:06 PM
I mean imagine they cancel the show due to low ratings before RTD can sort it out. That can't happen, can it?

No. There won't be a clause in RTD's contract dictating that the offer will be rescinded if Chibnall's run continues to tank.

It really does feel like they're trying to get his final batch of episodes out of the way as swiftly and painlessly as possible. So by the time RTD returns with a new Doctor, most viewers will have forgotten that any of this guff ever happened. They're presumably angling for a full bells and whistles relaunch in 2023. It's back!

Even though it never actually went away...

Mister Six

I quite liked the "no previews" approach to Chibnall's first season, but that only worked because there was already a big buzz about Jodie being the first female Doctor. By this point she's a known quantity and the show is underperforming in ratings (audience share and reviews alike), so not pushing it as hard as they can is madness.

A generic trailer, some TV interference mini-ads and an inexplicably dull clip of Dan answering the door to trick-or-treaters is not enough. Not by a long shot.

Alberon

Everybody seemed to move on the instant RTD was announced as coming back. Not just the fans, but everyone.

This Flux just feels like a weird offshoot now, almost like Scream of the Shalka. Intended as a new step forward for Doctor Who and also rendered totally irrelevant by RTD before it had a chance.

Ambient Sheep

I wonder if Chibbers might be sulking?

Due to all the "wow, RTD is coming back" stuff.

Quote from: Mister Six on October 27, 2021, 10:02:30 PM
I quite liked the "no previews" approach to Chibnall's first season, but that only worked because there was already a big buzz about Jodie being the first female Doctor.

I'm pretty sure 'we' did actually receive previews of her first episode. That must've been the case, in fact, as I reviewed it for my column that ran in the following week's Saturday mag (13/10/2018). Episode one went out on my 44th birthday, Sunday 7th October 2018, when my folks came over to visit. So I must've written my copy at least seven days before that.

Some boring factual information for you there.

Either way, yes. This is no way to run a fucking ballroom.

mothman

There's probably supporting evidence to be found in Ambient's master list of Who threads, if anyone can be bothered to look. Bags not it!