Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:53:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The White Lotus

Started by phantom_power, August 19, 2021, 08:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

phantom_power

I don't think Kai was being cynical in gaining Paula's trust just to rob her. I think he was a victim of her being another rich person who could toy with other people's lives and he got royally fucked by it. He was probably the only truly innocent person on the show and he got corrupted by the money and had his life ruined as a result

chveik

aye i didn't like this show but at least the working class character is the only one not being a piece of shit

phantom_power

I think the son seemed pretty OK as well, though there is always the awareness that if his Hawaiian dream falls apart he can still come back to his rich family and carry on as normal. He did seem less corrupted and cynical than the others at least

Chollis

Dr Rock

Quote from: C_Larence on September 05, 2021, 08:22:33 PMand for some reason their "Let's do some ASMR" thing on the first night elicited a guffaw from me.

Me too.

I really liked this, just found out about it, would recommend, but it is hard to sell it. It's just quality stuff, fine acting, with plenty of themes regarding the privileged and the not privileged.

As for wondering who was going to die
Spoiler alert
the sea was a massive red herring wasn't it?
[close]

the science eel

ooh yeah

great stuff - half way through

Jennifer Coolidge is especially wonderful and the scripts are ace.

looking forward to seeing Michael Imperioli in S2

the science eel

Quote from: phantom_power on August 20, 2021, 09:48:37 AMI am calling Armond as the best character and performance of the year. I know there is a lot of the year left to go but it would take a lot to beat him

Incredible performance. Seems like Jennifer Coolidge is getting a lot of acclaim but he has the (less subtle) funnier scenes, and I was more drawn to his character - he portrayed that inner turmoil beautifully. But really every single role was so well cast.

Best short drama series since The Queen's Gambit, then. Who's this Mike White fella?

phantom_power

Quote from: the science eel on January 23, 2022, 01:15:06 AMIncredible performance. Seems like Jennifer Coolidge is getting a lot of acclaim but he has the (less subtle) funnier scenes, and I was more drawn to his character - he portrayed that inner turmoil beautifully. But really every single role was so well cast.

Best short drama series since The Queen's Gambit, then. Who's this Mike White fella?

He also created Enlightened, another acclaimed TV show with Laura Dern, and wrote a variety of films, from the dark comedy Chuck and Buck to School of Rock. He's an actor as well

the science eel

Thanks! I might have a look at Enlightened

Ant Farm Keyboard

He DID have a production company with Jack Black, after School of Rock, named Black and White, of course.

centristmelt

Behind the times, I know but just been binging season 1. Feels like this is a high quality American Benidorm. Nothing at all wrong with that.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Chollis on September 21, 2021, 01:07:49 PMCaB favourite Stu Heritage has ranked the characters by awfulness!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/sep/21/trouble-in-paradise-the-white-lotus-cast-ranked-by-awfulness

seems about right tbf

"I am also a freelancer who writes listicles for a living. Therefore, every commission she gets is money I could have earned. For that, I want to see her destroyed."

Hah!

Utter Shit

Just finished this yesterday. I have absolutely no idea what my opinion of it is. It had so much going on, and yet a lot of the time didn't particularly seem to be about very much - it felt like a soap with high production values. It was very funny at times, and Armond was great.

On the Kai/Paula stuff:

Spoiler alert
Where does the idea that Kai was manipulating Paula come from? She came up with the idea and convinced him to do it, arguably even pressured him into it. I took him taking her necklace too as a way of covering up her involvement.
[close]

Is the second season worth watching?

Mister Six

Second season is great @Utter Shit. A bit "bigger" than the first, maybe a little less tight, but still top quality TV.

Who said
Spoiler alert
Kai was manipulating Paula? It's quite clear (to me, at least) that she's the one fucking up his life as some kind of messed up attempt to both punish her friend's family and assuage her own guilt about being a POC benefiting from white wealth.
[close]

Utter Shit

Spoiler alert
Maybe I misinterpreted but @Blue Jam said...

QuoteKai charming Paula and winning her trust before robbing her parents as she'd planned- but robbing her too because he wasn't impressed by her naive young rich girl virtue signalling and their little holiday romance didn't mean shit to him. The exploitation went both ways.

I think the exploitation definitely went both ways in a few of the relationships like Armond/Dillon, Tanya/Belinda and Paula/Olivia but Kai seemed a fairly straightforwardly 'innocent' (I use that word advisedly - Paula pushed him into it, but he still agreed to do it and was responsible for taking it further than it was intended to go) person who was sucked into the consequence-free world of the rich, but without the protective forcefield of privilege that the rest had.

Obviously it's just a fluff piece and not at all important, but Stu Heritage putting Rachel in the middle of the pack seems mad to me. You could maybe criticise her for the insensitivity of ending her marriage while still on the honeymoon, and at least partly because of the actions and comments of Shane's mother rather than Shane himself. But it's pretty clearly underlined that thanks to his cossetted everyday life she's never seen what he's like when something doesn't go his way, and in the space of those few days at the hotel he showed what he's really like.

A lot of the comments he made about her job, plus his general attitude towards her and people in general, make it completely understandable that she would suddenly not want the life they have laid out for them. Putting Rachel down as a worse person than Paula is baffling.
[close]

Mister Six

Yeah, Rachel is basically blameless except for maybe rushing into a too-good-to-be-true marriage.

And yeah, I agree Kai is an innocent and don't understand what the "robbing her too" bit is about.

(No need for spoilers at this point, surely?)

Beagle 2

I absolutely loved both series of this and I'm thoroughly looking forward to the next one. Rumours are its going to be in Thailand. So there you go.

Mister Six

Wonder if it'll cost more to film now there aren't loads of empty, Covid-afflicted resorts desperate for cash?

Queen Peach