Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:23:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Celebrity encounters

Started by Bigfella, August 31, 2021, 03:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kngen

Quote from: Goldentony on September 10, 2021, 10:03:25 PM
strangling anyone from Ministry is fair play

that bit did make me laugh, I'll be honest. Almost like comic relief compared to unrelenting grimness of the rest of the book.

Neomod

Bobby Gillespie was a regular customer at the Virgin Megastore in Brighton and I remember him coming up to the counter with an armful of Beach Boys LP's around 89/90.

And that's when Screamadelica was born.

billyandthecloneasaurus

The bass player from spiritualized / Spacemen 3 was me and my mum's lodger for 5 years, hi will.

He introduced me to Anton newcombe at a club night he was DJing in Berlin when I visited with my pals. I cornered Anton by the toilets and asked him to play "a smiths song", cringe. I was 18 tbf.

Anton played there is a light that never goes out, and basically made eye contact with me and aggressively nodded for the entirety.  When I told will what I'd done he laughed and was delighted that Anton hadn't knocked me out for such an imposition, let alone actually play my request.

badaids

Quote from: Keebleman on September 10, 2021, 08:42:32 PM
Through my job I see Carol Vorderman quite a bit.  She's always polite and unassuming but the clothes she wears are enough to make David Bowie circa 1973 say, "Ooh, that's a bit much."  It's 'Famous Person' couture.

I've seen her around a fair bit through my work too and my experience is the opposite.  Found her to be attention seeking, pretentious and looks absolutely ridiculous and plastic faced.

Goldentony

Quote from: Neomod on September 10, 2021, 10:17:53 PM
Bobby Gillespie was a regular customer at the Virgin Megastore in Brighton and I remember him coming up to the counter with an armful of Beach Boys LP's around 89/90.

And that's when Screamadelica was born.

Jim probably got all his old copies in the divorce

buttgammon

Quote from: Keebleman on September 10, 2021, 09:18:43 PM
Though even so she only looks about 1% as good as Behnaz Akhgar who I also see regularly, but that's not snide against Ms V because Behnaz is possibly the most gorgeous woman on the planet, and an absolute sweetheart to boot.  Always cheerful and chatty but never in that "I'm famous so I'd better be nice to the plebs" sort of way.

Oh you jammy sod! The worst thing about moving to Ireland was not getting to see her on the telly any more.

El Unicornio, mang

My friend waited on Aubrey Plaza at a restaurant in Chicago and said she was a right cunt.

Saw Alan Cumming hurriedly walking down a street in NYC and quipped to my friends "wonder if he was coming or going". No laughs.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: kalowski on September 08, 2021, 10:04:01 PM
I went to school with Mr Scruff. Really top bloke.

Yeah absolutely, I was mistaken for him a few times because we would often be warming up for him or Ross Clarke who is also a top bloke. On the flipside, James Lavelle.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: The Ombudsman on September 09, 2021, 12:22:52 PM

Paul Whitehouse was on the phone outside my old office. I wanted to say hello as I passed but realised he was on his way to Southwark Crown Court when Langham was on trial. Also around there saw Rolf Harris and Max Clifford.

That's eerie because I also happen to stroll past PW outside the courts during the Langham trial. He looked ashen.

mrClaypole

I used to work in a shop in Stratford upon avon and had many a celebrity encounter.  One of our regular customers was the actor David Bradley who has appeared in 100s of TV shows and films (biggest probably being is Harry Potter). He was a very nice man and down to Earth.
Nigel Havers once popped his head around the door asking where he could buy a watch for his wife inbetween filming episodes of Dangerfield. He obviously had eyesight problems because our shop was next door to a jeweller's with a large array of watches for femmes in the window.
My favourite encounter was Xmas eve and I was shutting the shop up on my own and I was approached by a very large chap just as the shutter went down.
He tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I knew where he could get some cellotape. I turned around and recognised it was Richard Griffiths. I have always enjoyed his performances whether it be in that episode of Minder or that Naked gun film.
I told him that everywhere would be closed now.  He sighed and let out a mournful cry.  I offered to open up the shop and let him have what we had left.
He said no. He didn't want to cause me any bother.
He did sign an autograph for me and we chatted briefly about Leslie Nielsen. He then hurriedly went on his way.  It's sad for me that he died as I will never know whether he managed to find any sticky back plastic that fateful night in 2000. He took that secret to his grave.

colacentral

I bumped into Princess Diana once, seconds before her death.

Jockice

I lent best-selling author Marina Lewycka a wheelchair at the weekend. Without actually meeting her. I never have met her.

ColinPopshed

Quote from: The Ombudsman on September 09, 2021, 12:22:52 PM
Bob Mortimer I've seen twice as he lives around my way. We both got our COVID vaccines at the same time & place. He also replied to a DM I sent him which was amazing.

I pride myself on never having disturbed him on the many times I've seen him in that particular town, though I recently moved to a village a few miles south so no more of that I imagine.

Quote from: ColinPopshed on September 14, 2021, 08:58:03 PM
I pride myself on never having disturbed him on the many times I've seen him in that particular town, though I recently moved to a village a few miles south so no more of that I imagine.

So you let him lie.