Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:53:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

15 Storeys High

Started by who cares, September 02, 2021, 09:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Errol's face after he wakes up surrounded by cactises.

buttgammon

One of my favourite shots is Errol sheepishly walking down the hall with his pockets bulgingly full of wallpaper.

who cares

Quote from: buttgammon on September 08, 2021, 12:16:15 PM
I thought I knew the Blue Rat episode by heart but totally forgot about the pony bloke clinging to Vince's leg and trying to drag him back into his flat!

I thought I knew it by heart as well, but after a rewatch last night, there's loads of bits I'd forgotten. "Handsome Jack the lucky squid" :D Also the part where Vince falls asleep at the pool and everyone starts misbehaving according to the poster of forbidden activities- no bombing, no running, no kissing etc

There's enough plotlines in there to fuel at least three episodes of a lesser sitcom

petril

the way Errol smokes, trying to breathe in all of it

buttgammon

Quote from: who cares on September 09, 2021, 08:57:05 AM
I thought I knew it by heart as well, but after a rewatch last night, there's loads of bits I'd forgotten. "Handsome Jack the lucky squid" :D Also the part where Vince falls asleep at the pool and everyone starts misbehaving according to the poster of forbidden activities- no bombing, no running, no kissing etc

There's enough plotlines in there to fuel at least three episodes of a lesser sitcom

Definitely, there's so much brilliantly funny stuff going on in that episode.

I also forgot how well they brought the Errol and Vince strands together in a lot of episodes - for example, the end of the Ice Queen episode with the jacket and Errol's driving lesson. Stuff like that is worthy of Seinfeld at its best.

SteveDave

"That's strange...their cheese is very mild"

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I was genuinely happy for Vince when he actually ended up copping off with the Ice Maiden. You'll notice that even though he desperately wants to achieve this aim, he just can't help himself and indulges in very Vince- like behaviour like sarkily reading the Bible to her when they're both trapped in a lift. It's a shame he fucked things up with his purple coat, they would have made a good couple, I reckon.

dissolute ocelot

Any storyline about adults feuding with kids is funny, and anything about baldness is funny, but putting up posters saying Vince is selling a baldness cure is such a perfectly evil piece of revenge. And yet it's totally justified as an escalation of baldness-related abuse earlier in the episode (a lesser comedian might have them shaving Vince's head or putting Veet in his shampoo or something, but no, Sean created some really clever baldness-related pranking).

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 10, 2021, 04:27:06 PM
putting up posters saying Vince is selling a baldness cure is ... totally justified as an escalation of baldness-related abuse earlier in the episode
You can tell Vince is self conscious about it as well, as it's the only insult that that really gets a reaction from him. Lock's hairline was frequently referenced on Cats Does Countdown, which also lists Martin Trenaman as a writer.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

^ exactly, and Lock is the perfect level of baldness for all the 'baldy' jokes to work. He's got enough hair that it's funny as a ridiculous insult, but just bald enough for it to wind Vince up.

Dirty Boy

"Listen son, you've got the mane of Samson..."

As someone with a receeding hairline i don't find baldy jokes funny anymore. Any time i hear kids shout slaphead i instinctively turn around, even though i've got more hair than the average CABber.
Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 10, 2021, 08:11:04 AM
I was genuinely happy for Vince when he actually ended up copping off with the Ice Maiden. You'll notice that even though he desperately wants to achieve this aim, he just can't help himself and indulges in very Vince- like behaviour like sarkily reading the Bible to her when they're both trapped in a lift. It's a shame he fucked things up with his purple coat, they would have made a good couple, I reckon.
I don't think the coat was what fucked it up. Judging by her face when she leaps out of bed on hearing his voice it wasn't to be anyway.

buttgammon

I love the bit with the kids insulting him for his supposed baldness (and calling him a bitch and a slapper), it's something I can never tire of.

Something just reminded me of 'Mr Burton no here'.

DrGreggles

Martin Trenaman nails both his appearances.

So much so that there are three of them.

DrGreggles

You should be pilloried for that mistake (and then immediately let out, because you need to go toilet).

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Oh, Dr. Greggles! You've made a laughing stock(s) of yourself!

PlanktonSideburns

Just watched the first episode with my partner, first time seeing it for her

It's so flipping good isn't it? Looks great, instantly likeable characters, brilliant passing characters, taxi sofa lady is so great. Benedict Wong is the absolute perfect foil to lock's character, really elavates it. The bit were he fucks off to Buckingham palace in the middle of the mayhem is beautiful

Cab watch along anyone?

Mobius

MAXINE WE GOT A PERVERT IN 'ERE

SteveDave

"'Ello Mum, it's Errol...the Chinese one..."

petril

I do love how that's (I think) the only time Errol's ethnicity ever comes up

Butchers Blind

"...I'm not going to get this job, so let's have some fun with it."

buttgammon

"Don't answer that: it could be Jim Davidson. Urgh, you don't want him coming round, do you?"

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I love some of the little background jokes too, like Errol making a house out of the box for his trainers, or Vince crushing all the bags of crisps before putting them in the vending machine at work.

PlanktonSideburns

Episode 2

This show is so good at taking something potentially grubby and laddish, Vince and his grot Mags, and subverting it in a weird, relatable way. The cut back to Errol, looking satisfied having painted the bathroom, is such a lovely touch.

pigamus

Quote from: buttgammon on September 10, 2021, 08:41:31 PM
I love the bit with the kids insulting him for his supposed baldness (and calling him a bitch and a slapper), it's something I can never tire of.

Something just reminded me of 'Mr Burton no here'.

Think I already said this but the baldy bit was the original trailer, and that's why I started watching it. I think it probably went out as a double bill with something else, but I can't remember now.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I remember the first 15 Storeys High clip I saw must've been from some kind of BBC promo segment on a magazine/news show. It was the bit where Vince is revealed to have had a tantrum at his pastie and pizza.

jsgibble

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on September 14, 2021, 10:13:34 PM
Episode 2

This show is so good at taking something potentially grubby and laddish, Vince and his grot Mags, and subverting it in a weird, relatable way. The cut back to Errol, looking satisfied having painted the bathroom, is such a lovely touch.

Great performance by Cavan Clerkin in that, it's one of my favourite episodes.

And I agree about the writing, I think there's a Victoria Wood / Alan Bennett quality about it in the way it can ground things like that.

PlanktonSideburns

Yes those are good comparisons in what they're doing, but it's got such a strong voice of its own I would have never thought to compare em

Mobbd

Quote from: SteveDave on September 14, 2021, 09:05:52 AM
"'Ello Mum, it's Errol...the Chinese one..."

Beat me to it. That's the line I always remember.

But also:

Vince: Stay in your lane, you're veerin' of to the left.
Man: I've only got one arm!
Vince: Well, only use one leg then.