Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:33:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dexys to ruin Too-Rye-Ay

Started by holyzombiejesus, September 06, 2021, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pancake

As it could have sounded if WHAT?

Pancake

...he'd had ankles this thin in 1982?

Pauline Walnuts

Now I like red top, I like maroon A line skirt, but red AND Maroon together? That's a no from me Clive.

Pauline Walnuts

Ignore this message, IGNORE IT!!!

sevendaughters

seriously tho, sax player clearly not wearing shoes because Kev has to be the tallest, right?

holyzombiejesus

Kevin was interviewed on breakfast tv this morning and the whole piece is on the dexys facebook page.

https://fb.watch/7UvknnB28N/

Sounds like the album is just getting remixed rather than re-recorded. Kevin also said that they're doing a separate thing where they're getting other artists to cover songs from the album and he was delighted to announce that Robbie Williams is going to record Jackie Wilson Said.

benjitz

https://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/232848/9

Interesting, as I am struggling to imagine how the mix of Too-Rye-Ay could be improved upon - all the mixes seem perfect, to me. (Although I've not heard the mastertapes)

I am actually more irritated by the mix of One Day I'm Going to Soar - a fantastic set of songs which to my ear are sabotaged by having the drums mixed WAY TOO LOUDLY. I thought at first this might be perhaps unintentional, but the problem persists on subsequent releases too, so I'm guessing this is what Rowland wants. Also the brass often lacks the punch of older releases where they are now too low in the mix for my liking, which is a shame as the lines they are playing are often fantastic.

So I'm predicting he's going to sabotage Too-Rye-Ay similarly, but obviously will reserve judgement until I've heard the results.

mrClaypole

Quote from: benjitz on September 08, 2021, 03:19:39 PM
https://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/232848/9

Interesting, as I am struggling to imagine how the mix of Too-Rye-Ay could be improved upon - all the mixes seem perfect, to me. (Although I've not heard the mastertapes)

I am actually more irritated by the mix of One Day I'm Going to Soar - a fantastic set of songs which to my ear are sabotaged by having the drums mixed WAY TOO LOUDLY. I thought at first this might be perhaps unintentional, but the problem persists on subsequent releases too, so I'm guessing this is what Rowland wants. Also the brass often lacks the punch of older releases where they are now too low in the mix for my liking, which is a shame as the lines they are playing are often fantastic.

So I'm predicting he's going to sabotage Too-Rye-Ay similarly, but obviously will reserve judgement until I've heard the results.

I agree the drums are far too high in the mix.  One day is a great album though

scarecrow

Was My Beauty remixed for last year's reissue?

Jackie Wilson Said will put royalties in Van Morrison's coffers, so that's a downside.

PaulTMA

Quote from: scarecrow on September 08, 2021, 06:05:11 PM

It was remastered to be brickwalled for no good reason

DrGreggles

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 09, 2021, 09:33:48 PM
Jackie Wilson Said will put royalties in Van Morrison's coffers, so that's a downside.

But at least more people saying that Dexys' version was better will annoy him.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 10, 2021, 08:15:47 AM
But at least more people saying that Dexys' version was better will annoy him.

What about when they prefer Robbie Williams' version?

scarecrow

Robbie's going to put Van Morrison on the map, just like he did with World Party.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Presumably Kev thinks Robbie is suitably hip at the moment. Or nobody else wanted to do it.

mrClaypole

Quote from: scarecrow on September 08, 2021, 06:05:11 PM

Ruined by brickwalling.  My favourite track Rag Doll sounds bloody awful now.

scarecrow

Kevin's Twitter is currently a horror show of Gervais memes and 'omnicron'scepticism. Here he is having a disagreement with Kevin Adams (whom he still calls Billy) about whether we should protect the vulnerable:

https://twitter.com/DexysOfficial/status/1476023232331321346?t=JTWv4_fUH1neG-4_GSvLcw&s=19

Egyptian Feast

I liked this reply:

QuoteI'm not convinced that this reworking of "This Is What She's Like" is an improvement on the original.

Custard

Urggh, someone pull Kev off Twitter before any lasting damage is done

DONT BE RUINING THE DEXYS KEV

TheMonk

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Custard on December 29, 2021, 01:32:21 PMUrggh, someone pull Kev off Twitter before any lasting damage is done

DONT BE RUINING THE DEXYS KEV

Is it Kevin? Quite often these accounts are run by the label or some fan.

jenna appleseed

How the fuck have we reached the point that an offical bluetick Dexys Midnight Runners promo account is being used to spread covid scepticism?

benjitz

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 30, 2021, 04:04:07 PMIs it Kevin? Quite often these accounts are run by the label or some fan.

On the DVD interview segments of "Nowhere Is Home" Kevin talks about how he is completely disinterested with engaging with his fans, not wanting to be their mate, and doesn't going on Facebook and saying "Hi, how are you?", preferring to just give it all to the audience on stage instead. So unless he's changed since then I wouldn't imagine he'd be using Twitter.

It's possibly a combination of both though - note the tweet on 3 Jan: "Feeling great that This Is What She's Like is so appreciated! KR" - the appended initials for this tweet would suggest to me that whoever is managing the account informed him of the love the song was receiving, verbally obtained that feedback from him and typed it in...who knows, though...

scarecrow

I think it's very obvious he's managing the account. Often the tweets are thin skinned and irritable. Not sure why a fan or label employee would challenge a former band member with vaccine-sceptic bullshit, or use the official account to joke about inserting objects into their rectum.

holyzombiejesus

I don't think it is very obvious at all

scarecrow

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 06, 2022, 11:46:03 PMI don't think it is very obvious at all and my friend who is a genuinely close friend of KR and toured with Dexys has told me KR doesn't use social media.
I mean, I don't know, perhaps he got a taste for it during lockdown while social contact was otherwise limited. All I can say is that a lot of the tweets around the My Beauty release were written in the first person, and seemed really irritated whenever anyone contradicted Kev's version of events. Similarly, the account was posting Van Morrison clips recently and again reacting to them in the first person. Given the high volume of specific first person content (along the lines of "I was never threatened by the Bureau") and the account's slide into unprofessionalism, I can only assume it's him most of the time. If it isn't, then someone's pretending to be him in a reputation-damaging exercise.

Paul Calf

It's possible that he's not interested in connecting with fans and saying "Hi, how are you," but that he is interested in acting like an attention-seeking wank.

scarecrow

Ticketmaster is saying all the tour dates are cancelled...

SteveDave

Fuckinell. The Dexy's Twitter is full of Russell Brand videos, anti-vax JPEGs and bullshit like this

https://twitter.com/DexysOfficial/status/1489787052589666304?s=20&t=fJaYVNzvBZCG-v3JgtGmCg

sevendaughters

still cracking up at 'As It Could Have Sounded'