Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:19:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dexys to ruin Too-Rye-Ay

Started by holyzombiejesus, September 06, 2021, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulTMA

SteveDave

For some reason "As it should've sounded" made me think he was re-recording it. That remix didn't sound too bad. Apart from the ending.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: SteveDave on July 14, 2022, 11:20:29 AMFor some reason "As it should've sounded" made me think he was re-recording it. That remix didn't sound too bad. Apart from the ending.

That Langer/Winstanley fat drum sound has been dealt with, which is a nice surprise. The only thing that really irked me about Too Rye Ay was the drum sound, which was also thumpy on Don't Stand Me Down and maddeningly fucking thumpy on One Day I'm Going To Soar.

ETA: and that new ending is not an improvement.

non capisco

The original sounds much warmer and fuller to me but that might be because I've listened to it on vinyl for all my life. Tacking the a capella intro onto not even the end but before the second chorus can't be it, though? It says 'radio edit'. If he's actually done that for the supposedly finished version then...pfft, Kev, mate. I'll more readily forgive him for being an anti-vaxxer than that.

PaulTMA

I was just about to post saying it's only the single edit as based on the AA side single version twinned with Let's Get It Straight (From The Start), but then found this very quote on its Discogs page:

"Old is a different version to the one on 'Too-Rye-Ay'. To quote Kevin Rowland from Record Collector magazine:

"We did an edit for the B-side of "Let's Get This Straight From The Start". That's how it was supposed to be. That was much better.""

Balls.

non capisco

I can just about see the merit of going back to the intro refrain after what was in that gorgeous original fadeout with Kevin crooning away, maybe this time underscored with some instrumentation. But having exactly the same recording come crashing back in after the second verse and then that's your lot?! Come on Eileen, mate!

benjitz

I can't hear much difference in the mix, so, all good so far. I reckon the album version will restore the structure as 'twere. I'd much rather the whole thing was a scam to re-promote the original album, but I'm gutted the tour was cancelled.

Or maybe Kev'll decide Come on Eileen sounds better if it slows down instead of speeds up or something. Or he'll loop a couple of bars for 20 minutes in the middle of the song whilst overdubbing a newly written skit performed with "Billy" Adams on the efficacy of vaccines. It's so exciting.

non capisco

The whole of 'Until I Believe In My Soul' is now just the YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! bit for seven minutes.

scarecrow

They performed at the Commonwealth Games closing ceremony tonight. Did anyone see it?

TheMonk

My favourite performance of Come On Eileen is this one on their official channel, purely for that ear piercing screech at 0:57.
https://youtu.be/C3rg4psdHxw

Quote from: non capisco on July 14, 2022, 09:58:35 PMThe whole of 'Until I Believe In My Soul' is now just the YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! bit for seven minutes.

Kev: I believe it's there
tin man: wheyar?

oooooover theyar?!!

Neomod

Reminds me of in the night when they keep cutting to the old film of young folk having fun.

Man, Dexy's were so good. Such lovely life affirming music, really loved them when I was younger.

Goldentony

I mean it sounds exactly the bastard same but at least it hasn't been reworked into sounding like the way he dresses now.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Goldentony on August 27, 2022, 08:13:01 PMI mean it sounds exactly the bastard same but at least it hasn't been reworked into sounding like the way he dresses now.

Drums don't sound so Clanger Winstanley, apart from that it's hard to tell the difference on first listen.

non capisco

It sounds exactly the same, Kevin's been sold a pup.

Can't imagine being dissatisfied with the original Too-Ry-Aye tbh, one of the greatest albums ever made.

Sebastian Cobb

You can slam geno's break into drum and bass if you just run it as a half-step, it's a power move tbh.

Neomod

There, There My Dear How It Could Have Sounded..

i.e. at 33rpm

for reference

Rich Uncle Skeleton

David Bamber! that's who old Kevin Rowland's been reminding me of for weeks, fuck that's been doing my head in

badaids

Quote from: Neomod on August 27, 2022, 11:33:09 PMThere, There My Dear How It Could Have Sounded..

i.e. at 33rpm

This is dying for a shreds to be done on it.

willbo

There's an interview with him in this month's record collector magazine where he says he's always hated the original album's mix and feels it let down the band in capturing their live sound

holyzombiejesus

There is some 'news' incoming tomorrow, which they're promoting with this photo. Oh Kevin...

TheMonk

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 22, 2023, 08:55:47 PMThere is some 'news' incoming tomorrow, which they're promoting with this photo. Oh Kevin...

"What do you pricks mean our suits have been lost, it's my wedding in just under an hour!"

dontpaintyourteeth

Well I don't think that song is very good. First bit I've actually heard since they came back. Has it all been like that? Am I safe just keeping the first 3 albums? Is his solo stuff good? Sorry for all the questions

Paul Calf

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on April 03, 2023, 02:52:36 PMWell I don't think that song is very good. First bit I've actually heard since they came back. Has it all been like that? Am I safe just keeping the first 3 albums? Is his solo stuff good? Sorry for all the questions

The comeback album was, I think, over-praised as people were so happy to have the band back. Last time I listened to it, I just cringed. It's not very good at all. The live album they released shortly after it was ok in places though. I never even considered buying 'their' album of Irish covers but haven't heard a single good thing about it. The recently reissued solo album is great, you should buy it.

In short, no, yes, yes.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 03, 2023, 03:23:49 PMThe comeback album was, I think, over-praised as people were so happy to have the band back. Last time I listened to it, I just cringed. It's not very good at all. The live album they released shortly after it was ok in places though. I never even considered buying 'their' album of Irish covers but haven't heard a single good thing about it. The recently reissued solo album is great, you should buy it.

In short, no, yes, yes.

Nice. Thank you. Duly noted. I always meant to get around to listening to My Beauty because, well, it couldn't possibly be as bad as people (who, considering the supposed disastrous sales figures, probably mostly didn't hear it either) tried to make it out to be.

when will The Wanderer get reissued??