Support CaB

Subscribers don't see this.

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

August 15, 2022, 01:38:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Janey Godley, Scottish Neoliberal Party jester!

Started by Rizla, September 08, 2021, 05:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: ajsmith2 on September 13, 2021, 01:15:11 PM
As well as being a veteran of many online spats, the fact she's so closely identified with enthusiastic/non critical SNP/Sturgeon support is hugely divisive. I mean obviously any video coming from the Scottish Government is gonna be SNP adjacent, but using Godley really rams home that aspect. Also the marmitey comic persona as stonkers says.

I see but Scotland does seem to have gone full SNP in voting terms and obliterated the other parties so they must be hugely popular in the main.  I would wager they went with Godley and her Glasgie act because they thought it would appeal to the working class Scots which they presumed would be most likely to be ignoring health information; like Fine Gael might use Mrs Brown to get the proles to check their smoke alarms.  It's base but it might not be quite the political nose rubbing going on that it appears.

Also of course it has spectacularly backfired.  My nan was from Glasgow and would probably been an anti-vaxxer and would have loved Godley's schtick........even more if she'd have found out she was racist (she was a poorly educated factory worker that was a complete nob but you could kindof understand "as fer why" she was boxed into her own mind as it were).

Johnny Yesno


Bigfella

Quote from: canadagoose on September 13, 2021, 01:32:34 PM
He's not an MSP, so I don't think he can be First Minister.
I thought the majority party could elect who they liked. Probably flaunting my ignorance there!  From what I've seen of Westminster, Blackford gives his moneysworth, giving solid jabs to the Cabinet while Starmer will occasionally politely hum and haw.

Kankurette

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 13, 2021, 09:28:41 AM
Limmy's Random has to be a parody of Up For It with Godley's daughter Ashley Storrie and the gang. I've seen Storrie do standup, and it's pretty much like having a talkative teenager chatter to you about whatever comes to her mind, and of similar levels of humour. Still better than mum, though. Her father Sean Storrie, Godley's husband, is apparently a Glasgow gangland figure, which may explain why the family continues to get work.
Fucking hell, I knew he was autistic but I didn't know he was a gangster.

idunnosomename

What's the story about Godley causing pile ons on Twitter and trying to get people sacked that people allude to?

stonkers

Don't know about trying to get people sacked but she was always a big fan of searching her own name then retweeting criticism so that her followers would pile on.

Mr_Simnock

she's mature and chubby, that's my usual x-hamster search so i can't dislike her too much

jamiefairlie

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 13, 2021, 12:40:59 PM
What about Blackford?

"Scotland will not be dragged out of the EU against its will", that Blackford?

gilbertharding

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 13, 2021, 01:35:38 PM
I see but Scotland does seem to have gone full SNP in voting terms and obliterated the other parties so they must be hugely popular in the main.  I would wager they went with Godley and her Glasgie act because they thought it would appeal to the working class Scots which they presumed would be most likely to be ignoring health information; like Fine Gael might use Mrs Brown to get the proles to check their smoke alarms.  It's base but it might not be quite the political nose rubbing going on that it appears.

45% of the vote is a lot, but I guess the other 55% are so entrenched against the SNP at this point that nothing will get through to them. I don't know how popular Nationalism is across the classes - are there any working class Rangers fans?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 13, 2021, 09:28:41 AM
Limmy's Random has to be a parody of Up For It with Godley's daughter Ashley Storrie and the gang. I've seen Storrie do standup, and it's pretty much like having a talkative teenager chatter to you about whatever comes to her mind, and of similar levels of humour. Still better than mum, though. Her father Sean Storrie, Godley's husband, is apparently a Glasgow gangland figure, which may explain why the family continues to get work.

Also explains her friendship with Sturgeon.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Kankurette on September 13, 2021, 02:40:18 PM
Fucking hell, I knew he was autistic but I didn't know he was a gangster.

To be fair, I don't think he's a gangster himself, but he's from a gangland family

jamiefairlie

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 13, 2021, 03:37:11 PM
45% of the vote is a lot, but I guess the other 55% are so entrenched against the SNP at this point that nothing will get through to them. I don't know how popular Nationalism is across the classes - are there any working class Rangers fans?

There's around 30% 'no surrender' types, the others are just 'frit' and could be persuaded like they were in the devolution vote.

Rangers support cuts through the whole of Scottish society, like a streak of poison through a stick of rock.

GMTV

Just to bring this thread full circle, the Scottish newspaper the daily record did a bit of digging on some rangers podcast presenters and uncovered some sectarian tweets. That then triggered a counter investigation and a few of the daily record journalists fell on their swords. I guess the net must have been cast a bit wider to any perceived enemies of rangers and hence here we are with janey godley getting cancelled.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Pink Gregory on September 13, 2021, 03:39:21 PM
To be fair, I don't think he's a gangster himself, but he's from a gangland family
She's very quiet about her husband, and the papers don't say much. The Scotsman says "she is careful never to reveal her husband's identity." Although presumably it's on a bit of paper somewhere. The Guardian calls him "the son of a local gangster."

Re Ian Blackford:
Quote from: canadagoose on September 13, 2021, 01:32:34 PM
He's not an MSP, so I don't think he can be First Minister.
You need to be an MSP to be First Minister (it's in the rules I believe), but Douglas Ross wasn't an MSP when he became Tory leader in 2020 (he stood and won a seat in 2021).


jobotic

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 13, 2021, 09:24:55 PM
She's very quiet about her husband, and the papers don't say much. The Scotsman says "she is careful never to reveal her husband's identity." Although presumably it's on a bit of paper somewhere. The Guardian calls him "the son of a local gangster."

this is from The Scotsman

https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-culture/joking-apart-2463780

Seedsy



Rangers support cuts through the whole of Scottish society, like a streak of poison through a stick of rock.
[/quote]


I could not agree with this statement more.

Im Scottish, live in Scotland, have been going to watch my football team weekly for over 30 years. (im not a celtic fan btw)and the majority of the Rangers support are absolutely abhorrent. Its not a minority, even the snp try and mealy mouth and say its a minority after every shameful knuckle dragging behaviour.

I think alot of Scottish society would have flourished and reset if they had not been allowed to be resurrected.
Instead, we have a more defiant and extreme Glasgow Rangers.
Wish they would fuckin just go bust again. And fuck off forever

Bronzy

If I have learnt one thing from this sorry saga, it's that Janey Godley is absolutely obsessed with the penises of black men

JaDanketies

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on September 13, 2021, 03:22:36 PM
she's mature and chubby, that's my usual x-hamster search so i can't dislike her too much

I think CaB is what makes me feel guilty for finding that funny


Oh and I don't even give a shit about football and I know Rangers are terrible. Which is obvious when you know the first thing about them

GMTV

Rangers are essentially the Scottish version of Godwins law.

Two things Scotland can be proud of, the only country where coca cola doesn't dominate, and a philosophical ideology even more abhorrent than nazism

steve98

I'm a blue-toes bastard now (due to Peripheral Vascular Disease)

dissolute ocelot

Supporting Rangers seems to be a genetic disorder. The number of otherwise pleasant people who're Rangers fans who're "oh my dad supported them." YES WELL YOUR DAD ALSO HAD SEX WITH YOUR MUM YOU DON'T SEEM TO FEEL THE NEED TO DO THAT.

Bigfella

I am not a loyalist, orangeman or bigot.  I am a Rangers fan.  By the looks of it I'm getting cancelled for that alone!  For heaven's sake, we're not all monsters.

jobotic

I know not all Rangers fans are like that but how do you cope with the vast amount who are?

chveik


Bigfella

Quote from: jobotic on September 14, 2021, 12:00:03 PM
I know not all Rangers fans are like that but how do you cope with the vast amount who are?

idunnosomename

Cant stand rangers. They're always trying to foil me swiping pic-a-nic baskets

Bigfella




Bigfella

Quote from: steve98 on September 14, 2021, 12:40:26 PM
And Mrs BigFella.


I could do worse I suppose!  Classic, mate.   By the way, is my reply to jobotic appearing blank on everyone else's screen? It previewed okay.