Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:38:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No9 series 7

Started by SilverFish, September 17, 2021, 07:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 05, 2022, 06:23:39 PMA little podcast could be appended to After Life called After After Life where Ricky Gervais remembers each moment in the episode and laughs loudly at it

Laughter After After Life.

We really shouldn't be tempting fate, you know?

JamesTC

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 05, 2022, 06:23:39 PMA little podcast could be appended to After Life called After After Life where Ricky Gervais remembers each moment in the episode and laughs loudly at it

To be followed up with After Life's Too Short

holyzombiejesus

Preceded by Extra Extras. Later published in script form 'Extra Extras, Read All About It.'

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Icehaven on June 05, 2022, 08:43:44 AM
Spoiler alert
Also when the child's letter is posted and he puts it in the drawer with others they're clearly recent which leads you to assume they're from current fans so the Wise Owl PIFs must be contemporary, but then we learn otherwise and that the letters are actually from the adult Ronnie.
[close]
I didn't think that.  I assumed the letters were weird fan mail. They had different handwriting & some used the full address and name, another in crayon just said 'MR POSTMAN GIVE THIS TO WISE OWL' (or similar).

Icehaven

Quote from: Vroomo on June 05, 2022, 11:14:54 PMI didn't think that.  I assumed the letters were weird fan mail. They had different handwriting & some used the full address and name, another in crayon just said 'MR POSTMAN GIVE THIS TO WISE OWL' (or similar).

I'd have to watch again to be certain but I'm sure there's a bit near the end when they're talking and Ronnie says something about how he'd been writing to him and asks him if he'd read his letters, implying the letters we saw were from him. Also it seems odd that kids would still be writing to a character from a 1970s PIF now.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Icehaven on June 06, 2022, 07:12:03 AMI'd have to watch again to be certain but I'm sure there's a bit near the end when they're talking and Ronnie says something about how he'd been writing to him and asks him if he'd read his letters, implying the letters we saw were from him. Also it seems odd that kids would still be writing to a character from a 1970s PIF now.

Yeah, he does mention not reading the letters Ronnie sent.  Still think this is fan mail though.  After everything that went on, him addressing the letters to Wise Owl seems unlikely.

petril

maybe desperation after the adult-style ones addressed to him by name got ignored?

Icehaven

Quote from: Vroomo on June 06, 2022, 08:55:58 AMYeah, he does mention not reading the letters Ronnie sent.  Still think this is fan mail though.  After everything that went on, him addressing the letters to Wise Owl seems unlikely.

Well given it seemed Ronnie had spent his whole life thinking of his Dad as actually being the Wise Owl and of himself as being the cartoon child in the PIFs, hence the dream, the feather, him hearing his dad speaking in Wise Owl's voice at the end etc. it'd make sense he'd write to him as if that was the dynamic between them. The only hole in my theory is that it's unlikely the dad would have kept the letters, particularly if there was potentially some incriminating references to the abuse in them.

Bigfella

So what was your favourite episode of the series?  I really liked the first one, in the pedalo.  They used outbursts of emotion very well there.

Ron Pickering was the original presenter of We Are The Champions in the 70s & 80s

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Are_the_Champions_(British_TV_series)

neveragain

Quote from: Bigfella on June 06, 2022, 10:10:21 PMSo what was your favourite episode of the series?  I really liked the first one, in the pedalo.  They used outbursts of emotion very well there.

Either Wise Owl for just being a brilliantly realised drama film or Mr King for horrifying hilarity. Random Act of Sci-Fi comes very close, as that was pretty unique.

SteveDave

Quote from: Bigfella on June 06, 2022, 10:10:21 PMSo what was your favourite episode of the series?  I really liked the first one, in the pedalo.  They used outbursts of emotion very well there.

I'd go (best first)

Wise Owl
A Random Act Of Kindness
Merrily, Merrily
Mr King
Kid/Nap

Nine Lives Kat

jobotic

Wise Owl
Mr King
Merrily, Merrily
Kid/Nap
A Random Act of Kindness
Nine Lives Kat

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: jobotic on June 07, 2022, 09:54:32 AMWise Owl
Mr King
Merrily, Merrily
Kid/Nap
A Random Act of Kindness
Nine Lives Kat

Ditto

Johnny Yesno

I watched the film Vivarium at the weekend and noted that the house the couple are unable to leave is number 9. I wonder if Lorcan Finnegan is a fan of the show or if it is just a coincidence.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Wise Owl
A Random Act of Kindness
Merrily, Merrily
Mr King
Nine Lives Kat
Kid/Nap

Stigdu

Wise Owl
Nine Lives Kat
Kid/Nap
A Random Act of Kindness
Merrily, Merrily
Mr King

neveragain

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 07, 2022, 10:53:58 AMWise Owl
A Random Act of Kindness
Merrily, Merrily
Mr King
Nine Lives Kat
Kid/Nap

Same, but with King and Merrily swapped.

Kat belongs above Kid/Nap because it's an intriguing idea done with some flair (I love the moody ITV drama lighting and Sophie Okonedo's performance) - although personally, I would have got rid of Siobhan Redmond's character and spent more time with the clichéd drama and then Kat coming to terms with being fictional - whereas Kid/Nap didn't utilise its split-screen gimmick enough and could have went in much more interesting directions, both with that and in terms of general plot.

But these are just personal preferences and it was still a solid series. The guest performances and cinematography (can you say that for telly?) in Kid/Nap were very enjoyable.

Virgo76

Quote from: Icehaven on June 05, 2022, 08:43:44 AMYep me too, I assume that was deliberate (unless there's something else that gives it away sooner but I don't think there is?), and was very well done.
Spoiler alert
Also when the child's letter is posted and he puts it in the drawer with others they're clearly recent which leads you to assume they're from current fans so the Wise Owl PIFs must be contemporary, but then we learn otherwise and that the letters are actually from the adult Ronnie.
[close]

Only a couple of episodes fully set in the past. The Trial of Elizabeth Gadge was in the 17th century and The Devil of Christmas in the 1970s.
The 12 Days of Christine was set over a 12 year period and there were a few flashbacks in Wise Owl. A Random Act of Kindness was set partly in the future. Have I missed anything?

Icehaven

Wise Owl
Mr. King
A Random Act of Kindness
Merrily Merrily
Nine Lives Kat
Kid/Nap

The Roofdog

Sorry late to the party, but a probably stupid question about Wise Owl: his sister
Spoiler alert
burnt the house down
[close]
, right? Were we supposed to think that his father
Spoiler alert
still lived in the same house because of the 70s decor? Or he was just a paedophile who really, really didn't like decorating
[close]

ishantbekeepingit

Quote from: The Roofdog on June 07, 2022, 09:55:02 PMSorry late to the party, but a probably stupid question about Wise Owl: his sister
Spoiler alert
burnt the house down
[close]
, right? Were we supposed to think that his father
Spoiler alert
still lived in the same house because of the 70s decor? Or he was just a paedophile who really, really didn't like decorating
[close]
Presumably
Spoiler alert
the house wasn't burnt badly enough to need knocking down and was refurnished with state-of-the-art decor.
[close]

Re: timeframes, The Devil of Christmas has the modern voiceover and the TV has what look like DVD or video players and cases under it, which are about the only clue to the real time and confused me on the first viewing.

neveragain

It could be the house they all lived in after the fire. Or just where the Dad took himself, since he seemed to have walked out on the family.

Enzo

Steve looked like he'd just come back from missing out on winning a caravan on Bullseye

Virgo76

Quote from: ishantbekeepingit on June 07, 2022, 10:04:36 PMPresumably
Spoiler alert
the house wasn't burnt badly enough to need knocking down and was refurnished with state-of-the-art decor.
[close]

Re: timeframes, The Devil of Christmas has the modern voiceover and the TV has what look like DVD or video players and cases under it, which are about the only clue to the real time and confused me on the first viewing.

The main action (i.e. everything we see) was supposed to be in the 1970s on that one though. The voiceover was the only bit that was supposed to be 21st century. That's right isn't it? Or have I misunderstood the whole thing?

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 08, 2022, 07:32:28 AMThe main action (i.e. everything we see) was supposed to be in the 1970s on that one though. The voiceover was the only bit that was supposed to be 21st century. That's right isn't it? Or have I misunderstood the whole thing?
That's it isn't it?  You're thinking it's a DVD voiceover for a cult classic, when in reality its a police interview for a historical crime.

danwho9

Having just caught up on it have to concur on how fucking great Wise Owl is. I'd agree that it's the best of the series.

petril

Quote from: Enzo on June 08, 2022, 01:29:15 AMSteve looked like he'd just come back from missing out on winning a caravan on Bullseye

Steve Pemberton could play a whole 80s gameshow by himself and you'd swear it was real

Quote from: Enzo on June 08, 2022, 01:29:15 AMSteve looked like he'd just come back from missing out on winning a caravan on Bullseye

That, plus Reece looking like Kenny Everett doing Kurt Cobain had me convinced it was early 90s.

kalowski

Finally caught up. Wise Owl was an amazing, but hard, episode. Really well done.
I'd say:
Wise Owl
Merrily Merrily
Kid/Nap
Random Act of Kindness
Mr King
Nine Lives Kat