Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:32:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Before & Laughter: A Life-Changing Book by Jimmy Carr (unfunnyman autobiography)

Started by Petey Pate, September 29, 2021, 01:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poodlefaker

On the subj. of unfunnyman autobiographies, I notice Michael McIntyre's latest Pulitzer-dodging stockingfiller is called A Funny Life. Must've taken some pretty intense brainstorming sessions to come up with that title.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: poodlefaker on November 29, 2021, 09:23:39 AMOn the subj. of unfunnyman autobiographies, I notice Michael McIntyre's latest Pulitzer-dodging stockingfiller is called A Funny Life. Must've taken some pretty intense brainstorming sessions to come up with that title.

His previous autobiography was 'Life and Laughing'. I used to enjoy moving it to the misery memoir section of W H Smith's.

Good reviews so far though.

Quote from: Amazon⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Another Xmas present ticked off my list.
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 29 October 2021
Verified Purchase
I can't comment on this I'm afraid, as it's part of the BFF's hubby's Xmas present. I do know he'll like it though, as Michael McIntyre is a particular favourite of his, plus he loves autobiographies. Plus I like giving books as presents...they're so much easier to wrap!
5 people found this helpful

turnstyle

Quote from: Amazon reviewerPlus I like giving books as presents...they're so much easier to wrap!

McIntyre is going to nick that and build a 20 minute routine around it.

dissolute ocelot

I just did an Amazon search for McIntyre to see what the fuss was about. Top result was Michael McIntyre Mask/Headpiece.
QuoteColor   ‎Beige

Virgo76

Has anyone else here actually read this book?
I don't dislike him personally. The book spends a lot of time saying very obvious stuff at great length. I suspect a lot of self-help books are the same.
I suspect he has a few ethical blind spots, one of the things which led to the tax avoidance scandal. Some of the arguments he deploys in defence of his harsher jokes don't stand up to scrutiny. I'm sure he at one point lists climate change as an example of something we shouldn't worry about as we have no control over it.
Nothing to suggest he only went into comedy in order to become a TV personality, however, as has been suggested on here.

Twonty Gostelow

Sharing this in case any of you like laughter and need gift ideas:

MY LAUGHTER XMAS WISH LIST

Before & Laughter - Jimmy Carr
The Sound of Laughter - Peter Kay
Crying with Laughter - Bob Monkhouse
The Bonus of Laughter - Leslie Crowther
Laughter and Reflection - Carol Burnett
My Life in Comedy, with Love and Laughter - Sid Caesar
Married to Laughter - Jerry Stiller
The Laughter & Tears of a Cockney Sparrow - Barbara Windsor
Dudley Moore: Life and Laughter - Barbra Paskin
Robin Williams: When the Laughter Stops - Emily Herbert
Robb Wilton: The Day Laughter Broke Out - Tom Preston
Life & Laughing - Michael McIntyre
   Do not buy, says 'Laughing' not 'Laughter'
Sunshine and Laughter - Louis Barfe   Do not buy, author is terrible

I'm joking, Louis

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Cheers. Think I'll call mine "Shitting Myself With Laughter".
Although I am not a comedian. Or funny.

Twonty Gostelow

Just realised Gervais's autobiography is going to be Laughter Life, isn't it?

Captain Z

In keeping with his audience's preference for sledgehammer mawkishness I reckon "Live, Laugh, Love".

Twonty Gostelow

If he's ever cancelled he could try the sympathy bounceback with Being Derek.

jobotic

mjwilson

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: mjwilson on December 08, 2021, 10:40:39 PMNo but I saw an advert for it on the side of a bus
I can imagine people reading Michael McIntyre's autobiography because he seems like a nice guy with a humorous perspective on life and the ability to ramble on for hours about it, for those who like that kind of thing. But why read a Jimmy Carr autobiography? Are people genuinely curious about Jimmy Carr's life and thoughts, especially as if it did tell you about Jon Richardson's secret foie gras addiction or Jimmy's past life in Aum Shinrikyo, the media would already have been full of any revelations and you'd not need to read the book? So is it being bought by people who want to be the next Jimmy Carr and are buying the manual? That is frightening.

mjwilson

I think it's probably "people will buy anything with a recognisable face on it when they're panic-buying Christmas presents"

Virgo76

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 09, 2021, 05:48:11 PMI can imagine people reading Michael McIntyre's autobiography because he seems like a nice guy with a humorous perspective on life and the ability to ramble on for hours about it, for those who like that kind of thing. But why read a Jimmy Carr autobiography?

It's not really an autobiography.

thenoise

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 09, 2021, 05:48:11 PMI can imagine people reading Michael McIntyre's autobiography because he seems like a nice guy with a humorous perspective on life and the ability to ramble on for hours about it, for those who like that kind of thing. But why read a Jimmy Carr autobiography? Are people genuinely curious about Jimmy Carr's life and thoughts, especially as if it did tell you about Jon Richardson's secret foie gras addiction or Jimmy's past life in Aum Shinrikyo, the media would already have been full of any revelations and you'd not need to read the book? So is it being bought by people who want to be the next Jimmy Carr and are buying the manual? That is frightening.

They're probably hoping it's funny.