Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:32:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

My wife's got the covid and (so far) I've not

Started by justin_bennett, October 17, 2021, 01:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

CtRDRSS, I'm prescribing you a course of hugs. You're not being selfish to worry about your health, not when you're stuck in a house with a selfish CUNT who won't get vaccinated and another is already ill.

jobotic

God knows how my household has avoided it, we both with the public and have two kids in school. More and more colleagues are getting it. I haven't exactly avoided social situations either, although I always wear masks and test loads.

Now seems like being double jabbed ain't nothing but a thing to omicron

mothman

Reckon Sunday night, 2nd Jan, Johnson press conference and new lockdown. Cunt won't do it before then. Might even hold off until the end of the bank holiday Monday (3rd).

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: mothman on December 03, 2021, 09:25:52 PMCtRDRSS, I'm prescribing you a course of hugs. You're not being selfish to worry about your health, not when you're stuck in a house with a selfish CUNT who won't get vaccinated and another is already ill.
The ill one is the unvaccinated one. They're no cunt either, they just made the decision based on fear. Thankfully, whether through luck, herd immunity or whatever, it seems to have worked out for them.

I'll accept the hugs though (pending a negative lateral flow test).

mothman

OK, sorry, the relationships weren't clear to me. But my point remains, it's OK to be worried. It's those who are blasé who present the greatest threat.

flotemysost

Distanced hugs to anyone who's ill/isolating at the moment.

Agree it's definitely not selfish to be worried, or resent someone for not getting vaccinated if you're sharing a household with them. My current flatmates were jabbed before me as they're both key workers, and my flatmate last year and I both signed up for the vaccine trials (though neither of us were called up), so I've been lucky to have lived with people who are singing from the same hymn sheet.

My current flatmates were also very respectful about not having people over (in the first few weeks after I'd moved in, earlier this year) until they'd established I was fine with it, with I really appreciated.

I'm also somewhat bewildered none of us have had it, touch wood. Although I think it was a bit nuts that you were allowed to go out and about even if you lived with someone who had it, I do worry now that if I end up getting the 'cron, my flatmates won't be able to go to work (I can work from home but they can't) - I'm not sure what the deal would be in that scenario.

Ferris

Quote from: jobotic on December 03, 2021, 09:29:50 PMNow seems like being double jabbed ain't nothing but a thing to omicron

Is that confirmed? Thought I saw it was more infectious but milder and unlikely to be any more dangerous than delta if you've had your vaccine (though it likely is more dangerous if you remain unvaccinated).

Edit: yeah it's more transmissible but vaccines are expected to still be helpful. I think a final conclusion won't be available for another week or so though
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/12/02/1060624669/scientists-race-to-answer-the-question-will-vaccines-protect-us-against-omicron

turnstyle

My wife and kids all tested positive at the start of the week. I've been testing every day since, but coming up negative. Looks like my immune system has gone 'no thanks ta' to the Rona.

Worried I might be part of some government super soldier program or summink.

Glebe

Best of luck for a full recovery to your fam Turns.

Inspector Norse

Hope you do somehow manage to avoid it turnstyle, my partner also tested positive at the weekend and I negative, but I've had all the same symptoms as her so can feel pretty sure I've spent the week being omicronned and it's not a great deal of fun.
I've essentially felt like I've had a massive days-long hangover with added blocked nose, but I haven't had the fun of an almighty bender to justify it.
Our entire street seems to have had it over the last 2-3 weeks and it's cleared up for most people after around 5 days so I'm hoping that I'm reaching the end now.
The worst part of the whole ordeal is that the neighbours who did the shopping for us bought the wrong size of coffee filters and we haven't been able to make more than a single cup at a time.

turnstyle

Cheers gang. They're still infected, I'm still in the clear. I've made them move out to the shed until they test negative, making sure to leave a fresh bowl of water outside the door for them every morning.

Sorry to hear about your coffee filters Norse, that is fucked up. Brick through their window, it's the only way they'll learn. You can tie one of the coffee filters to it with 'WroNG SizE CuNTs' written on it. Don't sign off with your name though or they'll know it was you.

flotemysost

Woke up after a night of lurid fever dreams with a throat like the Gobi desert - I've been doing daily LFTs recently anyway as I've been out and about over the past week, but thought I'd try swabbing my tonsils as well this time, even though the tests I've got are the little nasal ones - positive latty flatty a few minutes later. Sent off my PCR anyway but I'm freezing cold and can barely stay awake, so looks like my reign of Teflon immunity might be over.

Just adding my condolences re: your coffee filters Inspector Norse. Makes me sick thinking that while 10 Downing Street are having their endless boozy knees-ups, some of us are stuck only able to drink one cup of coffee at a time.

(Hope everyone and their families are ok!)

flotemysost

Quote from: turnstyle on January 28, 2022, 03:35:01 PMSorry to hear about your coffee filters Norse, that is fucked up. Brick through their window, it's the only way they'll learn. You can tie one of the coffee filters to it with 'WroNG SizE CuNTs' written on it. Don't sign off with your name though or they'll know it was you.

Could always piss through their letterbox, but there probably wouldn't be very much given you've only had a single cup.

Menu

Quote from: flotemysost on February 01, 2022, 06:09:57 PMWoke up after a night of lurid fever dreams with a throat like the Gobi desert - I've been doing daily LFTs recently anyway as I've been out and about over the past week, but thought I'd try swabbing my tonsils as well this time, even though the tests I've got are the little nasal ones - positive latty flatty a few minutes later. Sent off my PCR anyway but I'm freezing cold and can barely stay awake, so looks like my reign of Teflon immunity might be over.

Just adding my condolences re: your coffee filters Inspector Norse. Makes me sick thinking that while 10 Downing Street are having their endless boozy knees-ups, some of us are stuck only able to drink one cup of coffee at a time.

(Hope everyone and their families are ok!)

Good luck, mate. Whatever it is I hope you get through it with the minimum of aggro.

flotemysost

My dad texted me yesterday to see how I was doing. I'm already bored shitless so I sent him a close-up photo of some ginger, turmeric and lemon tea I'd made (which was a vivid cadmium yellow), telling him unfortunately my piss had turned radioactive and I was probably going to die soon, sadly. Got a terse "Glad you're feeling a bit better" an hour later.

This should be in the Worst Responses thread, really. Hope everyone else and their households are doing alright.

Glebe

flotemysost

Cheers Glebe! Was pretty wiped out for the first few days but I'm feeling much better now, more of a mild cold. Still crawling with it though according to LFT, so looks like I'll probably be doing the whole nine (ten) yards (days). Which is fine.

Hope everyone else currently besmirched is doing OK too, and coping with the isolation as well. I'm really lucky with my living situation and my job, it's actually been pretty easy, but I know that's not the case for everyone. Thoughts to anyone with kids/unsympathetic employers/less-than-cooperative flatmates, etc.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: flotemysost on February 04, 2022, 04:38:55 PMMy dad texted me yesterday to see how I was doing. I'm already bored shitless so I sent him a close-up photo of some ginger, turmeric and lemon tea I'd made (which was a vivid cadmium yellow), telling him unfortunately my piss had turned radioactive and I was probably going to die soon, sadly. Got a terse "Glad you're feeling a bit better" an hour later.

This should be in the Worst Responses thread, really. Hope everyone else and their households are doing alright.

You realize don't you that children communicating something to their parents just comes across as the Charlie Brown teacher noise. That's why the response is always "mm hmm, oh that nice dear.. yeah I expect so"

GoblinAhFuckScary

Housemate has his first covid. I currently do not. Have a super important medical appointment in London that would take like a year to get rescheduled, so I'm fucking HIDING in my room until next week. Wish me luck lads

Glebe

GoblinAhFuckScary

Can feel a tickle in my throat but I'm just going to put that down to a reaction from pizza; I am a little bit lactose intolerant.

Ta Glebes x

Blue Jam

Quote from: flotemysost on February 01, 2022, 06:09:57 PMWoke up after a night of lurid fever dreams with a throat like the Gobi desert - I've been doing daily LFTs recently anyway as I've been out and about over the past week, but thought I'd try swabbing my tonsils as well this time, even though the tests I've got are the little nasal ones - positive latty flatty a few minutes later.

I'm guessing you've seen this, but there was a post being shared a lot on Twitter about a guy who had obtained a negative result swabbing his nose only, then a positive result using a different kit from the same batch but swabbing his throat too. Been swabbing my throat since then.

Hope you're making a good recovery x

flotemysost

Best of luck @GoblinAhFuckScary. Is it possible to ask your housemate to wear a mask when they're in any shared areas, or would that just be adding more stress to the situation? I managed to not infect my flatmates, and vice versa when one of them had it a while back, I'm sure you'll be OK - staying out of each other's way is probably the best thing you can do. Fingers crossed.

And cheers for that @Blue Jam :) I hadn't heard that particular story, but a friend (who used to work with Pfizer, as it happens) had mentioned recently that omicron tends to start in the throat then move upwards so I just thought it made sense, although the advice on that is conflicting. Feeling much better thanks - the fatigue wasn't messing about, but even within the last few days it's improving (also the flipping period thing has happened again, so I guess it's not just vaccines that can cause that) but all good otherwise!

bgmnts

If tickle in throat is a covid thing then? Hs that been what my fucking shit cough has been for the past 4 months? I got sick with like mild flu like shit for about 4 or 5 days in mid October and since i've had a tickly throat.

If I got covid and the PCR didn't cop it and i'm suffering from long covid. FUCKSAKE.

Blue Jam

Quote from: flotemysost on February 20, 2022, 10:00:59 PMAnd cheers for that @Blue Jam :) I hadn't heard that particular story, but a friend (who used to work with Pfizer, as it happens) had mentioned recently that omicron tends to start in the throat then move upwards so I just thought it made sense, although the advice on that is conflicting.

This was the thread:

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1477498074838839296?lang=en-GB

Advice is conflicting but it seems this worked for you, been swabbing my throat since reading this because I figured it can't do any harm anyway, and as you say the reasoning behind it makes sense. Glad you're feeling better!