Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:37:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinna sadda defeata: 13 going on TERFy: How do you 13eat 13eaver 13other

Started by madhair60, November 03, 2021, 10:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 28, 2021, 05:44:37 PMI think the original story was in The Mirror. The reporter could've been freelance though. All a bit light on details.

the british press makes shit up all the time. the difference between outlets is merely nominal at this point

idunnosomename

oh the mirror and reach PLC are as bad as anything. they're motivated by online clickbait more than the other outlets though

daf

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 28, 2021, 04:49:10 PMRegardless, I'm sure he'll now be accused of caving under pressure from TRA's, and trans people will just end up getting the blame as usual.

I knew someone heavily into 3D antique French nookie (and badgers) couldn't be all bad!

Mister Six

Barry Admin

Quote from: daf on November 28, 2021, 08:37:04 PMI knew someone heavily into 3D antique French nookie (and badgers) couldn't be all bad!

Ha, yeah.  Unfortunately though, this means it's further proof that the UK media is institutionally transphobic.  It has to be underlined that they were't just pushing cancel culture shit, they were whipping up more hatred against trans people.

Cold Meat Platter

I publicly apologise to Mr. May for calling him a fanny and wish to retract this characterisation and re-instate his standing as a Great Bunch of Lads.

My point about his solo work stands, however: total bilge.

Barry Admin

Can you actually believe the extent of all this hatred though?  Sometimes - like now - it just catches me again, and I struggle to believe it's actually happening.  I can't believe this has all snowballed so quickly, spiralling off from a bunch of nutbags on the internet, and further whipped up by a former comedy writer because he can't take criticism.  What the fuck, it's so depressing that this is where we are in 2021.

Loads and loads of middle-aged and elderly women becoming radicalised by the internet, and running about screaming about "AGPs" all the time - a dumb conspiracy theory that allows them to continue portraying trans women as perverts, so they never have to feel bad about the sheer depth and intensity of their loathing.  Then you have gay and lesbian people being baited into turning against trans people, without realising they'll be next.  Contraception could end up being withdrawn from teenage girls because of all regressive shit too.  I'm just appalled by it all. 

Cold Meat Platter

You're spot on with your cult analysis.
I wonder if he practices 'sexual rogering'?
*shiver*

chveik

Inshallah one day Zuckerberg will be trialed for crimes against humanity

Kankurette

The more I hear about Facebook, the more glad I am I quit it. Especially when I found out about its role in Rohingya, it's reminiscent of the use of RTLM by Hutus in stirring up anti-Tutsi hate.
Quote from: Barry Admin on November 28, 2021, 10:20:19 PMCan you actually believe the extent of all this hatred though?  Sometimes - like now - it just catches me again, and I struggle to believe it's actually happening.  I can't believe this has all snowballed so quickly, spiralling off from a bunch of nutbags on the internet, and further whipped up by a former comedy writer because he can't take criticism.  What the fuck, it's so depressing that this is where we are in 2021.

Loads and loads of middle-aged and elderly women becoming radicalised by the internet, and running about screaming about "AGPs" all the time - a dumb conspiracy theory that allows them to continue portraying trans women as perverts, so they never have to feel bad about the sheer depth and intensity of their loathing.  Then you have gay and lesbian people being baited into turning against trans people, without realising they'll be next.  Contraception could end up being withdrawn from teenage girls because of all regressive shit too.  I'm just appalled by it all. 
Me too. And IDGAF if it's neoliberal, I'd take intersectional feminism over single-issue TERFshit feminism. These are women who are more than happy to team up with the far right and all sorts of vile misogynistic men if it means screwing trans women over. Even if they're men who want abortion banned in Ireland, for instance.

Totally agree Barry, the AGP business does cause a huge amount of infighting amongst the GC's though (which is nice).

Mister Six

Who's calling intersectional feminism neoliberal? I don't think that even makes sense.

Kankurette

There's a certain type of leftist who claims intersectionality is a neoliberal concept. I have no idea why, probably because it focuses on race and not class. Or something.

Dr Rock

Intersectionality is supposed to take both race and class into account, as well as -quotes wikipedia- gender, caste, sex, race, class, sexuality, religion, disability, physical appearance,[3][4] and height.

wrec

Anti-intersectionalism is pretty much dogwhistle racism isn't it?

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: Kankurette on November 28, 2021, 11:59:45 PMThere's a certain type of leftist who claims intersectionality is a neoliberal concept. I have no idea why, probably because it focuses on race and not class. Or something.

Yeah there's a load of class reductionist leftists who will rail against anything that isn't solely about class as being a distraction and a way for the elite to "divide and conquer"

Mister Six

Jumblegraws

QuoteAlthough there are no doubt random, dogmatic class reductionists out there, the simple fact is that no serious tendency on the left contends that racial or gender injustices or those affecting LGBTQ people, immigrants, or other groups as such do not exist, are inconsequential, or otherwise should be downplayed or ignored.
And that's who's being alluded to, no need to post these explanatory "well, actually" articles whenever they're mentioned.

pupshaw

Meanwhile on glindr

His last 20 posts have gathered a total of 2 replies

Zetetic

Was discussing Mark Fisher's Exiting the Vampire's Castle (2013) a few days ago, which concludes with a serious call to "reject identitarianism". "No-one is essentially anything." Was Fisher dogmatic? I don't know.

Anyway, I thought the more interesting reflection, getting on for a decade later, is the stuff about making thought and action appear difficult, the reinforcement of helplessness by "endlessly pointing out the screamingly obvious". Something to be aware of in the context of this thread and other discussions about trans people and the challenges of living in the UK, perhaps.

g0m

Quote from: Jumblegraws on November 29, 2021, 09:42:46 AMAnd that's who's being alluded to, no need to post these explanatory "well, actually" articles whenever they're mentioned.

yeah, check out /r/stupidpol for more

Gusty OWindflap

On Saturday morning there was a rerun of a rural affairs programme here in Ireland (Ear to the Ground) on the tv. I was with the kids so wasn't watching until I heard a woman being interviewed with a deep, rural accent that caught my ear. So I looked at the tv and was delighted to see a farmer in her 60s who had transitioned and was still working away on her farm, happily going to the cattle mart and interacting with the other farmers. The woman, Erica, outlines in just eight minutes one of the most human stories of transitioning I've ever heard. I don't know how any GC could listen to her and want to see her continue to live as the person she wasn't.

The episode is here for those with access https://www.rte.ie/player/series/ear-to-the-ground/SI0000000488?epguid=IP000067539

I only wish that seeing as he was in Ireland, Greyum happened to see this on the hotel tv on Saturday morning and felt a bit ashamed at himself for the hatred he has fomented for people like Erica.

idunnosomename

Glindr eh. This post from sept this year is funny from before Kathleen Stock became the big GC cancel culture martyr

QuoteI just defended myself against Kathleen Stock OBE and wanted to give more context without driving my Substack subscribers insane with more emails.
 A few days before Christmas, I received a hand-delivered threatening message through my postbox--which is located on the inside of my building. I phoned the police and while waiting for them noticed on Twitter that Kathleen had painted me the way trans rights activists have been painting me for years by saying that I had "instigated a pile-on" towards the loathsome , abusive AGP academic Grace Lavery. I object to that framing very much. Trans rights activists are unpredictable and volatile and many of them believe that people like me and JK Rowling want trans people to literally die. I don't appreciate Stock adding another coat of paint to any target that might be drawn on my back by deliberately decontextualising my tweet to Lavery.
 After doing nothing but support her for years--including offering to return my Honorary Degree to UEA when they cancelled a talk by her--I am genuinely perplexed by her behaviour. And I will not stand by while she accuses me of hyperbole while the ACLU is editing the word 'woman' out of Ruth Bader Ginsburg quotes, the Lancet is referring to women as 'bodies with vaginas' and we're well into the second generation of kids whose mental and physical health has been permanently damaged by proponents of Queer Theory.
 I believe in her book she also takes pot-shots at Julia Long. I argue that she could put her OBE to better use by borrowing some of that woman's urgency.

lmao he got so much energy out of that note delivered to his divorced dad apartments last Christmas. I couldnt find a picture of it a few weeks ago, I think it just said "Trans rights are human rights, fuck you Glinner"?

phes

Cuellar

I thought sending threatening letters was what 'the other side' did

Barry Admin

Quote from: Zetetic on November 29, 2021, 10:52:00 AMAnyway, I thought the more interesting reflection, getting on for a decade later, is the stuff about making thought and action appear difficult, the reinforcement of helplessness by "endlessly pointing out the screamingly obvious". Something to be aware of in the context of this thread and other discussions about trans people and the challenges of living in the UK, perhaps.

Sorry man, I couldn't sleep all night and don't quite get what you mean; can you give an example please?

Barry Admin

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 29, 2021, 11:22:31 AMGlindr eh. This post from sept this year is funny from before Kathleen Stock became the big GC cancel culture martyr

Quote from: LinehanI just defended myself against Kathleen Stock OBE and wanted to give more context without driving my Substack subscribers insane with more emails.

Let's run that through Google translate:

Quote from: LinehamI've started to lose a lot of paid subscribers whenever I make my misogny apparent by obsessively bashing women like Helen Lewis or Kathleen Stock or whoever, so I'll just hide this on my embarrassing Twitter clone for all the true believers. That way I also don't run the risk of Stock seeing it and ripping me another new areshole.

Zetetic

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 29, 2021, 11:43:33 AMSorry man, I couldn't sleep all night and don't quite get what you mean; can you give an example please?

I think there's a risk that constantly rehearsing instances of transphobia in the UK ends making an undeniably real problem feel bigger, less tractable and perhaps more uniquely British than it actually is.

Identifying Britain as "TERF Island" (which is often something done by people outside Britain) for example, quickly becomes debilitating - if Britain really simply is TERF Island, then there's nothing to be won here.

This isn't meant to be an observation focused on CaB in the slightest, and I'm worried that it comes across as a call for silence on these things when it's meant to be a reflection on my own behaviour, as much as anything else, and trying not to turn "allyship" or the like into wallowing in outrage.

YouCantWriteTearsJimmy

Who do you guys in this whole youtube/media antitrans sphere is the nuttiest but still the most accepted person? Somebody who is just nuts, but still gets invited on the podcast/youtube circuit? I think Bilek got kicked out of the circuit recently, but i'm not sure.