Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:38:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinna sadda defeata: 13 going on TERFy: How do you 13eat 13eaver 13other

Started by madhair60, November 03, 2021, 10:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: Zetetic on November 29, 2021, 11:58:06 AMI think there's a risk that constantly rehearsing instances of transphobia in the UK ends making an undeniably real problem feel bigger, less tractable and perhaps more uniquely British than it actually is.

Identifying Britain as "TERF Island" (which is often something done by people outside Britain) for example, quickly becomes debilitating - if Britain really simply is TERF Island, then there's nothing to be won here.

This isn't meant to be an observation focused on CaB in the slightest, and I'm worried that it comes across as a call for silence on these things when it's meant to be a reflection on my own behaviour, as much as anything else, and trying not to turn "allyship" or the like into wallowing in outrage.

Yeah I get this, I do try to remember and remind people that every single consultation and poll that is conducted shows that people are supportive of trans people and supportive of moves to improve their rights. The terven are very much in the minority, however they are a very loud and influential minority the media especially is riddled with transphobes, which makes the problem seem larger but can also embolden the bigots to action rather than just tweeting.

With all that said there is still the risk, that by repeatedly trying to remind people of this it can be diminishing of the fear and hurt that trans people are feeling right now and could be seen, regardless of intent, as tone policing, which I think is what you were saying in your final paragraph.

idunnosomename

I defend women to the death, until they criticise me or my methods. That's simply not on

Hope of Avalon

Quote from: DreadedScotsman on November 29, 2021, 12:19:48 PMYeah I get this, I do try to remember and remind people that every single consultation and poll that is conducted shows that people are supportive of trans people and supportive of moves to improve their rights. The terven are very much in the minority, however they are a very loud and influential minority the media especially is riddled with transphobes, which makes the problem seem larger but can also embolden the bigots to action rather than just tweeting.

With all that said there is still the risk, that by repeatedly trying to remind people of this it can be diminishing of the fear and hurt that trans people are feeling right now and could be seen, regardless of intent, as tone policing, which I think is what you were saying in your final paragraph.

This is the thing with stochastic terrorism.
I know for a fact that supportive voices do exist, I speak with them every day, but the constant battering we get from the media really wears you down after a while. I've even gotten to the point where I'm considering residence elsewhere.

JaDanketies

You can't downplay the role the media has in shaping opinions. The old media especially among older generations. So all these old media terfs are definitely a concern. I know that a lot of older folks think an opinion piece in their favourite broadsheet usually has a lot of merit.

jobotic

Hope of Avalon

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 29, 2021, 02:28:11 PM

The leftist moley.

'Clown World' is literally a right-wing dog-whistle.
These people have the self-awareness of a woodlouse.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Zetetic on November 29, 2021, 11:58:06 AMI think there's a risk that constantly rehearsing instances of transphobia in the UK ends making an undeniably real problem feel bigger, less tractable and perhaps more uniquely British than it actually is.

Identifying Britain as "TERF Island" (which is often something done by people outside Britain) for example, quickly becomes debilitating - if Britain really simply is TERF Island, then there's nothing to be won here.

This isn't meant to be an observation focused on CaB in the slightest, and I'm worried that it comes across as a call for silence on these things when it's meant to be a reflection on my own behaviour, as much as anything else, and trying not to turn "allyship" or the like into wallowing in outrage.

Thanks. I actually get slightly concerned that we become a bit immune to this, or that we might just focus on taking the piss out of Graham Linehan and lose sight of how rotten this all is. So I don't want to be an outrage merchant, but as I said last night, every once in a while it just hits me in a fresh way. That post up the page by @Hope of Avalon is heartbreaking, for instance.

I grew up absolutely surrounded by bigotry in Northern Ireland, and it's painful to see how acceptable and increasingly popular this anti-trans shit is.

Kankurette

In my experience, it mainly comes from smug Americans. The same kind who think all Brits are white conservatives.

chveik

Quote from: Jumblegraws on November 29, 2021, 09:42:46 AMAnd that's who's being alluded to, no need to post these explanatory "well, actually" articles whenever they're mentioned.

these few cunts have fuck all representation on the left and yet they keep getting mentionned. it's tedious really

canadagoose

Richard Dawkins done a bumdozy:

That's a declaration by a group who want to eliminate "transgenderism". Depressing to see yet another celeb prick jumping on the bandwagon, but I think he's lost a lot of his cachet by now anyway.

Kankurette

canadagoose

Quote from: Kankurette on November 29, 2021, 07:10:38 PMAs if Dawkins EVER gave a shit about women.
The number of blatant misogynists who think they're "feminist allies" because they hate trans women is staggering.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Kankurette on November 29, 2021, 03:35:56 PMIn my experience, it mainly comes from smug Americans. The same kind who think all Brits are white conservatives.

Always feels pretty rich of Americans to be taking pot shots when we all know which country's insane rightwingers are providing the dark money for all this.

Can't wait for the LGB Alliance to file their accounts!

ishantbekeepingit

A lot of them like to lay the blame on our "imperialist culture" as well, which is a bit bloody galling coming from them of all people.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

ah yes Richard Dwakins, who famously sneered at an atheist woman who was creeped out by a guy in a lift because didn't she know the "Muslimas" suffered from REAL sexism

no_offenc

Quote from: canadagoose on November 29, 2021, 07:04:51 PMRichard Dawkins done a bumdozy:

That's a declaration by a group who want to eliminate "transgenderism". Depressing to see yet another celeb prick jumping on the bandwagon, but I think he's lost a lot of his cachet by now anyway.

Sly othala rune in that logo there. Wonder who's behind that organisation?

Kankurette

Quote from: ishantbekeepingit on November 29, 2021, 07:37:54 PMA lot of them like to lay the blame on our "imperialist culture" as well, which is a bit bloody galling coming from them of all people.
Yeah, the British Empire did do a lot of terrible things and fucked up a lot of countries, many of whom are still suffering from the fallout, but it does irk me when Americans get smug about it, considering how much power and influence the US has now. And how many countries have also suffered during the 19th and 20th centuries because of US interference. They also seem to forget that Spain, France, Germany, Portugal, the Netherlands and Belgium did some pretty horrific things. Yes, whataboutery, I know.
Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on November 29, 2021, 09:52:26 PMah yes Richard Dwakins, who famously sneered at an atheist woman who was creeped out by a guy in a lift because didn't she know the "Muslimas" suffered from REAL sexism
Yep, Elevatorgate was the first thing I thought of as well.

buttgammon

I remember reading a discussion in one of these threads about how a fair few terfs have appeared from the 2000s sceptic/atheist world. Dawkins cropping up here has brought this full circle.

somersetchris

Remember when Linehan was invited to speak in parliament about the importance of free speech? Apparently to him, free speech means 'agree with me, or you're banned'. Of course LGBA is a hate group, dickhead.

JamesTC

Mister Six

They're not a hate group, they're just a very, very, very strong dislike group.

Captain Z

NOBODY speaks to me like that, not even my closest hate groups. YOUR BLOCKED!

DrGreggles

Not sure BC can ban a paying subscriber anyway, not one who hasn't breached Substack's rather lax T&Cs anyway.
Unless he refunds him from his carbonara jar.

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 30, 2021, 12:27:41 AMNot sure BC can ban a paying subscriber anyway, not one who hasn't breached Substack's rather lax T&Cs anyway.
Unless he refunds him from his carbonara jar.

Plain pasta tonight.

Quote from: somersetchris on November 29, 2021, 11:45:21 PMRemember when Linehan was invited to speak in parliament about the importance of free speech? Apparently to him, free speech means 'agree with me, or you're banned'. Of course LGBA is a hate group, dickhead.

He says on his bio he writes about cancel culture. Never clarified if he was for or against.