Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,310
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:33:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021/22 - Welcome to our new ISIS Taliban overlords

Started by chveik, November 06, 2021, 12:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menu

Quote from: Kankurette on January 20, 2022, 09:55:46 PMEasier said than done. Bloody Twitter keeps emailing me stuff Everton fans I follow have posted (I've only just figured out how to turn off email notifications), and my stepdad still refers to Everton as 'you' when talking to me about football, and one of my friends invited me to watch the Hull game in the pub with him and I had to explain why I wasn't going.

I remember Everton being second, even first, but it sure as hell didn't last. Ancelotti's biggest achievement was that derby and one of the scorers turned out to be a fucking paedo (admittedly, not Ancelotti's fault but it is typical Everton).

#ArtetaOut is trending again. Wenger didn't die for this, etc.

Stop saying that about GS. It's not fair on Neil, and it could very well not be true anyway.

Kankurette

Menu

Sorry. It's just I hate the mob rule that immediately descends when it comes to these kinds of cases. He has a right to due process. Innocent before proven guilty etc.

Kankurette

Menu

Quote from: Kankurette on January 20, 2022, 10:39:32 PMHas he come back yet or is he still suspended?

Well coincidentally there was a tweet earlier today to say his bail has been extended. This has been taken of course to mean he is definitely fucking guilty.

chveik

what's the point of this thread if we can't call anyone we want a paedo

buttgammon

Quote from: chveik on January 20, 2022, 10:53:56 PMwhat's the point of this thread if we can't call anyone we want a paedo

We already have the cricket thread for that!

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Mobius on January 20, 2022, 09:38:09 PMabout 15

I think he's literally just landed from AFCON so not sure what the point of bringing him on was, but he'll get a rest now thanks to the suspension!

Who knows, maybe it made someone a few quid.

Hat FM

at least we can apply for the burnley game to be postponed now that Partey is suspended.

JamesTC

Thomas Partey is the first player to lose 2 matches with 2 different teams on 2 different continents in 2 days.

Menu

In this weird betting/yellow card affair. Why would the player do that? He must be a multi-millionaire. Why take such a risk to make, what - a week's wages? How much money could he possibly make from that one potentially life-ruining incident.

Not for me, Clive. I think he's just an idiot.

bgmnts

Quote from: Menu on January 21, 2022, 04:41:30 PMIn this weird betting/yellow card affair. Why would the player do that? He must be a multi-millionaire. Why take such a risk to make, what - a week's wages?

Well back in the day they'd be coerced/blackmailed into doing it by bad bastards wouldnt they? Mafia would single out some gambling addict and get them in debt and then he's in their pocket.

Maybe that's the case here?

Menu

Ooooh, crikey. Maybe that's what was happening with that Chinese lad in the snooker a few weeks ago. Not that anything was done about it. Actually I might start a thread about it.

Kankurette

Some footballers are just greedy. Or he might have gotten in trouble with some gangster types.

bgmnts

Quote from: Menu on January 21, 2022, 05:06:34 PMOoooh, crikey. Maybe that's what was happening with that Chinese lad in the snooker a few weeks ago. Not that anything was done about it. Actually I might start a thread about it.

To be fair, I'm just thinking of america mafia tactics, I think that's how the point shaving scam worked in basketball.

We might not have that criminal element here doing that I dont know.

I think fat cunt Higgins did it just cos he was a greedy bastard though so could just be that. Xhaka does not seem the most level headed fella.

Also, 14 red cards under Arteta is a seriously impressive statistic.

If the bet was for him to get booked at a specific time or just made late in the game, then putting down money on it was something of a no brainer (apt for Xhaka), assuming it was the Leeds game in question, given he'd spent the second half getting away with completely unnecessary fouls that were begging for a booking it was inevitable the ref would give card him for something benign when it was too late to matter. That's just reading the temperature of the game.

If the bet was just for him to get booked outright, or they were investigating the ref given the amount of shit he let him get away with before that point, then yeah

Menu

So you think it was nothing to do with him. He's just an idiot.

Well it wasn't his usual brand of idiocy which is usually weird macho bullshit where he makes a brain dead foul that will inevitably get him booked/sent off/give away a penalty when he's about to lose a duel and can't accept it (the Bernardo penalty and Carabao red are textbook examples of this), he was very much acting proactively as a hatchet man (again, this is working on the assumption it was the Leeds game)

But the Times story today said the bets specifically concerned him getting booked in the last 10 minutes. If Xhaka was in on it, then he'd spent half an hour deliberately trying to sabotage because he was absolutely begging for a booking if not a red for the entire second half

Kankurette

From the Upshot (note: this is all speculation):
QuoteThe papers are keeping schtum about the name of the Arsenal player under investigation over spot fixing claims.

But we've spent some time trawling the murky depths of the internet, and it looks like it's Granit Xhaka.

Betfair punters lumped £50,000 on the midfielder receiving a yellow card in the final ten minutes of Arsenal's 4-1 win over Leeds in December.

Then, a few moments later, Xhaka was booked for timewasting after waiting an age to take his free kick.

Doesn't mean Granit did anything wrong, but we're pretty sure this is the incident they're looking at.

I can sort of see why the public at large decided to turn a blind eye to Ranieri's spell at Fulham where he did the same thing in similar circumstances, but I can't see why an actual football club trying to stay up would. This was inevitable

The Culture Bunker

I think anyone being manager of Watford inevitably ends in a sacking within nine months.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on January 21, 2022, 09:06:41 PMBut the Times story today said the bets specifically concerned him getting booked in the last 10 minutes. If Xhaka was in on it, then he'd spent half an hour deliberately trying to sabotage because he was absolutely begging for a booking if not a red for the entire second half

It could be both. Just because someone's paid him not to get booked until the last 10 minutes doesn't mean he's suddenly going to acquire the will power not to do the brain dead foul earlier than that.

Kankurette

Managing Watford really is like competing in the Hunger Games.

Crenners

Big Dunc has bought everyone's first pint this morning at the Winslow.

He also apparently been scaring the shit out of a few of the cunts behind closed doors, some home truths and let's just say, well, I don't want to, you know, let's just say a few of the guys won't be able to sleep without medication.

TrenterPercenter

The commentator for the Everton vs Villa match just blamed one of the villa players getting bottled by the crowd on "Buendia celebrating too provocatively".

bgmnts

Quote from: Crenners on January 22, 2022, 11:56:48 AMBig Dunc has bought everyone's first pint this morning at the Winslow.

He also apparently been scaring the shit out of a few of the cunts behind closed doors, some home truths and let's just say, well, I don't want to, you know, let's just say a few of the guys won't be able to sleep without medication.

The old pint and stick approach.

SpiderChrist

From the BBC website:

QuoteNot aimed solely at Everton - How pathetic must you be to throw a bottle at a player? Get a grip.
Mark, on behalf of all well-behaved fans

Sleep the sleep of the just, well-behaved football fans, Mark has spoken for you. The sanctimonious twat.