Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:56:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pukka Pies for goalposts - a Football League/ National League thread

Started by holyzombiejesus, November 08, 2021, 04:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Yup. We've bottled it. 3 defeats on the trot, 2 of them to teams with fuck all to play for. Could feasibly still go up automatically but, more likely, miss out on the play-offs all together. Legue Two will be a right fucker next season. I think Mark Hughes will be given a shed load of cah at bradford, Salford will continue to spunk money on overpriced shite and then we'll possibly have Stockport and Wrexham spending their way to the top too. Feel like we've really missed our chance here. I bet Joey fucking Barton gets Rovers promoted too.

FalknerHinton

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 02, 2022, 02:28:19 PMThe Salford draw is an ok result for Vale. Mansfield probably consigned to play offs now and Salford can just fuck off. Horrible dogshit club.

I always think it's a bit rum for a Supporter's Player Of The Year winner to be a loan player, strengthening your dogshit club assertion.

Especially as they won't be getting him back next year.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 02, 2022, 10:38:13 PMYup. We've bottled it. 3 defeats on the trot, 2 of them to teams with fuck all to play for. Could feasibly still go up automatically but, more likely, miss out on the play-offs all together. Legue Two will be a right fucker next season. I think Mark Hughes will be given a shed load of cah at bradford, Salford will continue to spunk money on overpriced shite and then we'll possibly have Stockport and Wrexham spending their way to the top too. Feel like we've really missed our chance here. I bet Joey fucking Barton gets Rovers promoted too.

Have to hope that the Exeter players are all drunk.

Kankurette

finnquark

Alty going full time. We're going to piss this tinpot league next year.

Kankurette

Balls. I wanted Forest to go up.

Luton, Forest, Huddersfield and the pigs in the playoffs.

jobotic

Could still be Millwall and Middlesborough couldn't it? But yeah, probably.

Kankurette

Anyone but Millwall or Sheffield United. The thought of a Millwall v West Ham game terrifies me. Plus I live in Manchester, I would stay far away from town if those cunts played United or City. I live on the OT route.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Psybro on May 01, 2022, 08:01:06 PMOldham still having a home game to get through could be interesting, or the fans could just stay away.

No pay-on-the-day entry, mandatory searches at the turnstiles, no alcohol on sale etc. Fan groups already announced that they'll be boycotting games next season as long as the Lemsagams remain in charge.

Kankurette

Jesus. Are things really that bad at Oldham that they're worried fans will kick off?

Inspector Norse

Simply put... yes.

Was an invasion in the last home game that resulted in them kicking everyone out of the ground and playing the last 10 minutes behind closed doors, even boarding up windows to stop people watching from outside.

They've done similar before - a few vocal critics of the owners were given stadium bans in autumn, swiftly overturned after an outcry and they've done stuff like only letting season ticket holders in before as well.

Kankurette

Jesus H tapdancing Christ. Those owners sound like fascists.

finnquark

Macc going full time in the NPL Div 1. Proper community club.

Kankurette

I have a bad feeling about the playoffs tonight. At least I don't hate Sunderland.

Quote from: Inspector Norse on May 05, 2022, 10:29:22 AMSimply put... yes.

Was an invasion in the last home game that resulted in them kicking everyone out of the ground and playing the last 10 minutes behind closed doors, even boarding up windows to stop people watching from outside.

They've done similar before - a few vocal critics of the owners were given stadium bans in autumn, swiftly overturned after an outcry and they've done stuff like only letting season ticket holders in before as well.

Don't worry, at least you've got Sheridan which guarantees at least one team no one in the National league needs to worry about next year.

Kankurette

I really hope Moore doesn't get sacked if we don't go up.

FalknerHinton

Quote from: Kankurette on May 06, 2022, 12:12:24 PMI have a bad feeling about the playoffs tonight. At least I don't hate Sunderland.

As long as we get another series of the best comedy show on Netflix out of it, I'm ok with Sunderland going up.

monkfromhavana

Really want Wednesday to knock Sunderland out of the play-offs.

monkfromhavana

Watching Wednesday vs Sunderland - Patrick Roberts is playing for Sunderland. Wasn't he a big thing a few years back? Signed by Manchester City then loan spells abroad. Thought he'd be too good for this level.

monkfromhavana

Shit defending from Hutchison, row Z was 100% the option.

Kankurette

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 06, 2022, 04:56:54 PMReally want Wednesday to knock Sunderland out of the play-offs.
Me too. Not looking forward to the inevitable calls for Moore to be sacked if we don't go up though. There's an expectation that we absolutely HAVE to go up at all costs because of all the money we've spent. (If anyone asks why I'm not watching, it's...kind of gross. Health stuff.) Sunderland have 2/3 of possession atm. Not looking good for us.

On the plus side, Wycombe are 2-0 up on aggregate. And Windass has just come on for Berahino.

monkfromhavana

Sunderland really are on top of them though. Not sure what they need to do to change it though, seems like Bannan is being marked out of the game and they have no other idea what to do. If they can keep it to 1-0 they should still be able to turn it round at Hillsborough.

jobotic

Quite enjoyed the Radio 5 bloke last night who refused to use the "Dons" part of MK Dons.

Don't really care who goes up as long as it's not them. Maybe Wednesday as a preference.

Not that League One is any of my business anymore.

Kankurette

Wednesday are just about holding on.

Jobotic, hopefully Wycombe will batter MK Dons in leg 2.

monkfromhavana

Kankurette

Yussef Dent

Macclesfield go full time. At that level. Give up your stable job to play football full time with no real security if it goes tits up. Alvechurch go "hybrid daytime training." My Dad used to live in Alvechurch and we'd go to the odd game, they've been on about moving some time from their hopelessly outdated ground. I can't get my head around it.

finnquark

Quote from: Yussef Dent on May 07, 2022, 03:05:41 AMMacclesfield go full time. At that level. Give up your stable job to play football full time with no real security if it goes tits up. Alvechurch go "hybrid daytime training." My Dad used to live in Alvechurch and we'd go to the odd game, they've been on about moving some time from their hopelessly outdated ground. I can't get my head around it.

Totally mad isn't it? We're transitioning to full time next year after having built towards it for at least 3 years. The only teams not full time in the Conference will be Maidenhead and Wealdstone (not sure about Maidstone who are coming up), so to compete you clearly need to go professional. NLN has a few big full time clubs, so if you've the money you could argue it gives a competitive edge there. Beyond that it's a farce, and I've no idea how it makes any sense. Bad enough South Shields spunking away full time costs to lose to Warrington, let alone Macc employing 18 full time footballers to win that division next year.

monkfromhavana

It's a bit like when Rangers were relegated to League 2 in Scotland yet still signed players on ridiculous money for that level.

Isn't "Part-time" a fairly nebulous statement in non-league? Some part-time players probably earn a sufficient wage to live on quite well, whereas some earn £50 a week. In the upper end, isn't part-time just meaning that there football isn't classed as their "career" and so don't get a pension at 35.