Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:20:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pukka Pies for goalposts - a Football League/ National League thread

Started by holyzombiejesus, November 08, 2021, 04:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnquark

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on July 06, 2022, 08:30:00 AMWhat're Alty's ambitions now you've gone full-time?

Lovely afternoon yesterday, couple of cans of Krombacher and a decent enough first half. I thought West looked pretty decent, and I really liked Eme who was quality on the right. As you'd expect, Alty dominated the ball, but we only had 4 of our actual squad playing, with something like 14 youth teamers and triallists - the rest were playing Wythenshawe Town at 3.30.

I'd expect us to finish about the same as last season, as it's going to be a massive culture shock being full time. We lost 7 players due to the transition, who couldn't afford to go full-time due to work - in total they'd made around 1,800 apps for the club, so it's quite a sizeable loss of experience and quality.

We're now fishing for full-time players at the bottom end, rather than the best part-time players, and though I think our management team will be able to improve players with full-time coaching, I do think there will be an initial adjustment period. It still feels like we're a bit short, so will be interesting to see if we sign any triallists up.

We've got a new CEO coming in, who hasn't been formally announced but from what I've heard I have significant concerns. I think the club will necessarily become much more corporate and 'professional' now, and I expect some frictions in the fan base about the decision to go full-time will emerge as soon as we hit a dodgy run.

Prediction: 16th and R2 in the FA Cup.

Glad you enjoyed it. I can't wait to get back down there, though it won't be till 2nd August when we play Prestwich in our first home league game.

I'm pleased to hear we looked decent. We've only lost four players, so we'll go into the new season with a reasonably settled side. I imagine the prospect of playing in front of good crowds will attract some decent players to replace the ones we've lost, though Sam Heathcote leaving is a massive blow.

Quote from: finnquark on July 10, 2022, 10:08:13 AMWe're now fishing for full-time players at the bottom end, rather than the best part-time players, and though I think our management team will be able to improve players with full-time coaching, I do think there will be an initial adjustment period.

Yeah, this is such a good point. It was always given as the reason why Hyde would never go full-time back in the day when money was being thrown at the club in the mid to late 2000s. Players like Gareth Seddon wanted to stay part-time because they could earn a shitload more working on a building site and playing a couple of games a week than they would being paid to play even at the lower levels of the Football League.

Kankurette

We've got a friendly with Rayo Vallecano coming up. How exotic! Unfortunately it's at 7pm so I doubt I'd be able to make it.

ETA: just checked the fixtures list and we've got Pompey, so if I go it'll be the second time I've seen that fixture this year. Hopefully it'll be just as fun, though we don't have BPF this time. We might have the meme that is David Stockdale instead.

FalknerHinton

Another question for our resident Owls: was Tyreece John-Jules much cop on loan for you last year? I know he got injured but was he promising before that?

holyzombiejesus

I've often wondered when I've seen pros joining non-league clubs around the country, why they do it. No disrespect whatsoever to smaller clubs but, financially, why would a player move from, I dunno, Boston to Boreham Wood or from Dover to Grantham?

FalknerHinton

I guess it's probably less to do with the money and more just really loving playing organised football whatever the level.

Some because they love the game, others because they want to be a billy big bollocks fish in a small pond.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 13, 2022, 10:21:02 AMI've often wondered when I've seen pros joining non-league clubs around the country, why they do it. No disrespect whatsoever to smaller clubs but, financially, why would a player move from, I dunno, Boston to Boreham Wood or from Dover to Grantham?

I think that some of those clubs, if they have a fairly wealthy owner, pay quite well. The players aren't classed as "professionals" but can still be earning 30k a year.

Kankurette

Desperation.
Quote from: FalknerHinton on July 13, 2022, 09:49:12 AMAnother question for our resident Owls: was Tyreece John-Jules much cop on loan for you last year? I know he got injured but was he promising before that?
He didn't really stand out tbh. Which was a shame, he got fucked over by injuries like a lot of our squad.

David Stockdale is confirmed, Wildsmith's gone, Dawson's back. Anyone rate Stockdale?

FalknerHinton

Quote from: Kankurette on July 13, 2022, 12:06:10 PMDesperation. He didn't really stand out tbh. Which was a shame, he got fucked over by injuries like a lot of our squad.

David Stockdale is confirmed, Wildsmith's gone, Dawson's back. Anyone rate Stockdale?

He was alright when he played for Town for 6 months back in 2011. Let in the most goals in the Championship but that was largely the defence as a whole and I seem to remember him playing ok. Went back to Fulham because they insisted on a 24hr release clause in his loan agreement and they ran out of fit keepers.

This was 11 years ago mind you.

Psybro

He was far too good to be playing for Stevenage for 5 games last year, but that's League Two.

finnquark

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 13, 2022, 11:46:34 AMI think that some of those clubs, if they have a fairly wealthy owner, pay quite well. The players aren't classed as "professionals" but can still be earning 30k a year.

Boreham Wood are funded by their owner and pay very nicely.

Alty have benefitted in the past from pros coming to us as a semi-professional option largely for two reasons. Firstly, they may be doing some coaching badges and looking for experience in coaching youth teams - Ben Pringle joined Alty last year when we were still semi-pro for this reason. Secondly, they may have other qualifications or past work experience which they want to segue into. Maybe they're doing a (Open) Uni degree, or maybe they're doing an apprenticeship in a trade, and playing semi-pro helps them sustain this.

We actually lost our keeper this summer due to the finances of moving from semi-pro to full-time. As a scaffolder, he earned more doing that and playing semi-professionally rather than being a full-time pro. So I think at the margins of the pro game, actually semi-professional football can pay more and offer work life balance (e.g. the lower down the pyramid you go, the less travel time to games you have, and the more time with your family you may have).

finnquark

Quote from: FalknerHinton on July 13, 2022, 10:41:35 AMbecause they want to be a billy big bollocks fish in a small pond.

Alty signed Ryan Colclough 18 months ago, after he was released by Scunthorpe on account of being charged with assaulting a copper outside a Taco Bell in Doncaster. The charges were later dropped, but he remains with us, and is the most outrageously talented player I've seen us sign from full-time football. I suspect this is one of his motives for staying with us - he's comfortably League 1 standard if he could be arsed, but we get to enjoy him taking the piss out of hapless full backs most weeks instead.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: finnquark on July 13, 2022, 11:18:05 PMBoreham Wood are funded by their owner and pay very nicely.

Alty have benefitted in the past from pros coming to us as a semi-professional option largely for two reasons. Firstly, they may be doing some coaching badges and looking for experience in coaching youth teams - Ben Pringle joined Alty last year when we were still semi-pro for this reason. Secondly, they may have other qualifications or past work experience which they want to segue into. Maybe they're doing a (Open) Uni degree, or maybe they're doing an apprenticeship in a trade, and playing semi-pro helps them sustain this.

We actually lost our keeper this summer due to the finances of moving from semi-pro to full-time. As a scaffolder, he earned more doing that and playing semi-professionally rather than being a full-time pro. So I think at the margins of the pro game, actually semi-professional football can pay more and offer work life balance (e.g. the lower down the pyramid you go, the less travel time to games you have, and the more time with your family you may have).

What would you say your average wage was at part time compared to what you're paying now?

finnquark

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 14, 2022, 10:13:09 AMWhat would you say your average wage was at part time compared to what you're paying now?

Really have no idea to be honest. What I do reckon is our full time wages will be pretty low in comparison to the rest of the full time teams. Some of the figures thrown around about teams in the top 7 last year in the Conference were astonishing.

Kankurette

He is very pretty. A bit like Jordan Archer but with less prominent teeth.

dr beat

Was at the new Meadowbank Stadium last night to watch the renamed 'FC Edinburgh' (formerly Edinburgh City FC, had to change the name due to a sports & social club claiming copyright) beat Cowdenbeath 3-0 in the League Cup.  Couldn't get inside to have a nosy at the facilities there, but looks promising for the snooker in December.  Not sure about the football ground bit though.  There is only three small rows of seats on one side, which doesn't look sufficient even for third-tier Scottish football, and you still can't buy a beer. 

We heard the crowd at nearby Easter Road when Hibs equalised.  They lost on penalties to Greenock Morton.

Quote from: dr beat on July 21, 2022, 11:35:53 AMNot sure about the football ground bit though.  There is only three small rows of seats on one side, which doesn't look sufficient even for third-tier Scottish football, and you still can't buy a beer. 

Wow, I've just seen some photos and you're not kidding. I'm staggered that's allowed in the third tier.

Kankurette

It's even shitter than Grantham's stadium, and Grantham are what, eighth tier now?

('Mon the Morton!)

I've just read that they're
Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on July 21, 2022, 12:38:15 PMWow, I've just seen some photos and you're not kidding. I'm staggered that's allowed in the third tier.

Turns out it isn't allowed - apparently they'll be adding standing for 2,000 down the other side of the pitch before the league season starts.

Kankurette

Wednesday are disappointing me and the season hasn't even started yet.

FalknerHinton

Good luck with Bakinson's one good game a season.

Actually that's unfair, we only had him on loan for half of last season. So, let's be charitable. Two good games a season.

dr beat

QuoteWow, I've just seen some photos and you're not kidding. I'm staggered that's allowed in the third tier.

Yeah, I can't disagree with that article, other than I would say that the old Meadowbank was something of a white elephant and was far too big if anything. 

The club appears to have been in consultation with the council from the outset, and thus I can't believe that they regard it as acceptable. They had been sharing with Spartans FC, who play just outside the league structure in the fifth tier.  Spartans is also a council facility but is superior. Edinburgh tend to rely on Hearts and Hibs fans going when their respective teams aren't at home, plus a handful of foolhardy souls like myself.  I'm minded to head over to Easter Road this season. 

I see that blog post mentions Cliftonhill, Albion Rovers' ground which I've always wanted to visit just to see if it's as bleak as its made out to be.  I think I'll wait until at least November though so I can get the full experience. 

Kankurette

monkfromhavana

Quote from: dr beat on July 22, 2022, 12:17:36 AMYeah, I can't disagree with that article, other than I would say that the old Meadowbank was something of a white elephant and was far too big if anything. 

The club appears to have been in consultation with the council from the outset, and thus I can't believe that they regard it as acceptable. They had been sharing with Spartans FC, who play just outside the league structure in the fifth tier.  Spartans is also a council facility but is superior. Edinburgh tend to rely on Hearts and Hibs fans going when their respective teams aren't at home, plus a handful of foolhardy souls like myself.  I'm minded to head over to Easter Road this season. 

I see that blog post mentions Cliftonhill, Albion Rovers' ground which I've always wanted to visit just to see if it's as bleak as its made out to be.  I think I'll wait until at least November though so I can get the full experience. 

I went to an Ayr United game once, that was bleak AF. The stadium was about 80% rust.

FalknerHinton

Quote from: Kankurette on July 22, 2022, 01:05:51 AMHow much of an injury magnet is Bakinson?

Can only speak to half a season, but injuries weren't a major issue with him.

Kankurette

The Lurker

Thanks, I'll give that a watch. I do like how whenever it's mentioned a football club's going through a tough time, the comments turn into the Four Yorkshiremen sketch from fans of fellow shit struggling clubs.

Kankurette

He's done one on Oldham as well, I'm hoping he'll do a Wednesday one (speaking of Yorkshiremen). I do feel a bit sad for Scunthorpe. It looks like Adkins leaving was the beginning of the end. Imagine going from Championship to non-league.

Quote from: dr beat on July 22, 2022, 12:17:36 AMI see that blog post mentions Cliftonhill, Albion Rovers' ground which I've always wanted to visit just to see if it's as bleak as its made out to be.  I think I'll wait until at least November though so I can get the full experience. 

Albion Rovers look the most likely candidates to be next to take the East Stirlingshire/Berwick/Cowdenbeath route into non-league oblivion.

I've seen precisely one game at Cliftonhill, on a freezing day about 15 years ago, and it's impressively dilapidated. The tiny wooden stand must've been built when the height of the average Lanarkshire punter was about 5 ft 5 as it was incredibly cramped. Ended up just watching the game from down the front of the one side of the ground that was open. I believe they basically let the place go to shit back in the 70s or so when they held speedway races on the track round the pitch and let the vegetation take over the disused terraces. And it's in Coatbridge, which never sends the spirits soaring.