Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:08:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Theme

Started by H-O-W-L, November 18, 2021, 06:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does the pink make your eyes bleed?

AAAAARRRGGHH!
68 (42.8%)
No, it's lovely
46 (28.9%)
Meh
9 (5.7%)
An tSaoi
21 (13.2%)
pff.
3 (1.9%)
it will be better when we are all allowed to press our penises together onto it
10 (6.3%)
rail moat
0 (0%)
raoul moat
1 (0.6%)
Raul Panther III
0 (0%)
pisspot poo Pope
1 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 159

Ambient Sheep

Yeah, been meaning to say for a few days how much better this is on mobile.  Many thanks to both you and Z for all the hard work.

The only annoyance is no page numbers at the top of thread pages, but you're already aware and gonna work on it at some point, so yeah, nice one!

Mobius

Can you make it so that snow falls down across the forum all the time please

GoblinAhFuckScary

Again, fab work from Barry and co.

I've not been on here much the last couple of weeks and I'm uncertain what ground has been covered but I've always really enjoyed everyone's avatars and now I find them barely legible in their new tiny format. It's not a major issue really but it definitely negatively impacts my experience here

Blumf

Quote from: Mobius on December 02, 2021, 12:01:10 AMCan you make it so that snow falls down across the forum all the time please

Also have this MIDI file embedded on all pages

EDIT: Actually, this one suits the site better.

canadagoose

Everything looks really good now. I appreciate the hard work that's been put into this whole thing!

I had noticed that sometimes there's a little delay (8-10 secs) between clicking a topic and it loading. Is the server doing something that's holding it up a bit?

touchingcloth

Does anyone else - on desktop - end up getting into a situation where when trying to navigate back to the forum list the Member list hover menu (from the "Members" item in the bar below the header banner) keeps popping out even though your cursor is nowhere near it?

paruses

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 02, 2021, 09:47:36 AMDoes anyone else - on desktop - end up getting into a situation where when trying to navigate back to the forum list the Member list hover menu (from the "Members" item in the bar below the header banner) keeps popping out even though your cursor is nowhere near it?

Yes I do on desktop and on mobile keep highlighting Report to Moderator - which as it's showing I feel duty bound to do. Unfortunately thinks it's my poor hand-eye coordination / fat fingers rather than anything I can blame on upgrades.

Just like to pass on thanks for your efforts Barry. I think the new look is super.

touchingcloth

Quote from: paruses on December 02, 2021, 09:53:32 AMYes I do on desktop and on mobile keep highlighting Report to Moderator - which as it's showing I feel duty bound to do. Unfortunately thinks it's my poor hand-eye coordination / fat fingers rather than anything I can blame on upgrades.

Just like to pass on thanks for your efforts Barry. I think the new look is super.

I think it's a bug in the theme. After some playing about, I don't initially get the popup unless I hover over the area circled in green, but once I've made it pop out once* it will keep popping up if my cursor goes anywhere in the area boxed in red.

And agreed that the new theme is ace, thanks for the time you've spent, Barry, Zetetic and all of the other contributors.

*Oo-er, I need a footnote, madame.

Icehaven

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 02, 2021, 09:47:36 AMDoes anyone else - on desktop - end up getting into a situation where when trying to navigate back to the forum list the Member list hover menu (from the "Members" item in the bar below the header banner) keeps popping out even though your cursor is nowhere near it?

Yes I do, on desktop, so I just click on Cook'd and Bomb'd instead as it goes to the same page anyway.

olliebean

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 02, 2021, 12:54:40 PMI think it's a bug in the theme. After some playing about, I don't initially get the popup unless I hover over the area circled in green, but once I've made it pop out once it will keep popping up if my cursor goes anywhere in the area boxed in red.

FWIW, it doesn't do that for me. It only ever pops up if my cursor goes over the area circled in green.

Still annoying, though, as it pops up a menu of features that I never use, covers up links that I do, and is close enough that when I'm aiming for the latter I quite often end up triggering the former.

All it needs is to be made a click-to-open menu, instead of hover-to-open, which frankly are always annoying. Menus should not pop up unless the user has clearly signalled their intention to open them (and once such an intention has been signalled, shouldn't close because the mouse happens to stray a couple of pixels beyond the edge).

touchingcloth

^ I think there's a place for hover over menus as opposed to clicks. It's hard to signal the the result of a click will be a menu popping out rather than navigating to a new page...

QDRPHNC

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 02, 2021, 02:05:57 PM^ I think there's a place for hover over menus as opposed to clicks. It's hard to signal the the result of a click will be a menu popping out rather than navigating to a new page...

True, but getting a dropdown when you expected a new page isn't necessarily a detriment to the experience overall, whereas the touchiness of this particular dropdown is an irritant for a number of people and is worth looking at.

Blumf

touchingcloth

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 02, 2021, 04:30:27 PMTrue, but getting a dropdown when you expected a new page isn't necessarily a detriment to the experience overall, whereas the touchiness of this particular dropdown is an irritant for a number of people and is worth looking at.

Agreed. That said, I don't think I'd click on the Members thing because I'd just assume it was a link to a page rather than a dropdown. The best way would be to have a circled "i", probably, but it's not the most pressing issue in the world to have to deal with.

olliebean

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 02, 2021, 05:21:15 PMAgreed. That said, I don't think I'd click on the Members thing because I'd just assume it was a link to a page rather than a dropdown.

Which is fine, because if you weren't wanting to click on a "Members" link you wouldn't be wanting to click on either of the links within the menu either.

shoulders

Hello sirs,

On mobile CaB (Android) I can't seem to find the button for the sent folder in PMs.

Am I blind as well as thick?

Endicott

Go to INBOX.

There's a hover menu on the Messages menu button -> Sent Items

Endicott

I missed out clicking the black three bar menu opener above Subject after going to INBOX. There's a popup, click Messages.

Jerzy Bondov

Loving this theme still. @Barry Admin I done a subscription last month but it still says it's pending in my profile settings. Want you to get my money

Barry Admin

Ohh thanks, I need to catch up on my emails, I'll see if it's mentioned there or something? I dunno, or cancel it maybe.

Glad people still liking it, more to do when I have more time.

shoulders

Quote from: Endicott on December 03, 2021, 01:41:13 PMI missed out clicking the black three bar menu opener above Subject after going to INBOX. There's a popup, click Messages.

Thank you very much. The bars didn't scream 'click me' but I probably ought to have figured that out for myself. Cheers for the help.

Mister Six

On the old versions of the site, you could click/tap shrunken (via phBB code) images to enlarge them. That doesn't seem to work any more. Or is it just my phone playing up after updating to this shite new version of Android.

Blumf

Quote from: Mister Six on December 05, 2021, 02:36:11 PMOn the old versions of the site, you could click/tap shrunken (via phBB code) images to enlarge them. That doesn't seem to work any more. Or is it just my phone playing up after updating to this shite new version of Android.

I don't think that ever worked on mobile browsers (Android Chrome, at least)

Did work on desktop, and still does from what I can see. Maybe you were viewing the old site in desktop mode?

Mister Six

Nope, was always in mobile mode and it always used to work. Oh well!

Zetetic

Working for me in Firefox under macOS and Android.

What browser, on what device, are you using @MisterSix? What is the behaviour when viewing Blumf's post above, and when tapping on the image?

Blumf

Just checking on Android Chrome and it is resizing, but not by much. Is there some kind of max size limit for images on mobile? Always used to find the images on mobile were a pretty good size as default anyway.

Endicott

Android Firefox Nightly and it resizes more in landscape mode.

olliebean

Looking at the CSS, the answer seems to be yes, there is a max size limit for images on mobile. With a viewport width of up to 720px, different CSS rules apply which, among other things, limit the images to 250px width and 300px height. (Depending on your phone, 1px very likely maps onto more than one physical pixel.) With a wider viewport - such as on a desktop browser, or landscape mode on most modern phones - they are allowed to expand to 100%, i.e., the full width of the post.

You can see the effect of this in a desktop browser by resizing the window to be 720 pixels wide or less (or using Firefox's responsive design mode to emulate a phone screen).

Honestly, I see no reason why max-width shouldn't be set at 100% (and no max-height limit) regardless of the size of the viewport.

daf

I noticed the time on the site seem to be 2 seconds off (so something posted at 2pm will show the timestamp of 1:59:58).

Don't know if it's important, but thought I'd mention it, just incase.

Attila

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 22, 2021, 12:22:48 PM@Attila

Letting you know the long post preview problem is fixed, as I saw you specifically affected by it in the logs earlier.

From ages ago, my apologies that I've only just seen this -- thank you for the shoutout :D