Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:22:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Put your taskbar on the left

Started by Retinend, November 18, 2021, 11:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

Putting the taskbar on the left has been a real game changer.

why? In any piece of software which has buttons on the bottom edge  you can zoom straight to the bottom of the screen instead of precisely aiming for the thin layer above the landscape taskbar - for example these media player controls in VLC player.

What's more, it's must easier to read off which windows are open in this format - a list format - rather than a horizontal format. It's also easier to rearrange them as you like it. Download TaskbarTweaker for more taskbar customisation options.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Retinend on November 18, 2021, 11:00:00 AMwhy? In any piece of software which has buttons on the bottom edge  you can zoom straight to the bottom of the screen instead of precisely aiming for the thin layer above the landscape taskbar
But most of the programs I use have the buttons on the left.

Also, having the Start menu at the top right, messes my muscle memory.

You haven't thought this through at all.

Ferris

Proud taskbar on the left man since late '00s. Gamechanger.

pigamus

Years ago I had a Mac mini hooked up to a big square CRT monitor and I put my Dock on the left. I just thought it looked better. With a MacBook now it would be daft to put it anywhere but at the bottom.

Alberon

I don't think Windows 11 allows you to do it. So beware.

Ferris

Additional bonus, you can hum "Lock the Taskbar?" to the turn of the Clash single of similar name.

Done this for years (although on the right - with my second monitor on the right, the task bar is between them), along with the never combining taskbar items option. I go a step forward, and stretch the task bar a fair bit, so you can see the name of the app or document or whatever better.

Quote from: Alberon on November 27, 2021, 10:41:16 PMI don't think Windows 11 allows you to do it. So beware.

Genuinely a reason I'm wary to update.

Dex Sawash

I have a work W7 laptop where the taskbar has gone double height and I can't un-embiggen it for some reason. Can hide it, move it or make it taller but always minimum of double height now.

Edit- Meant to post this in hastening the fall of man thread

touchingcloth

This way is worse. Been trying to bump the thread for ages but I've only just worked out how to get the taskbar back in the correct place.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 12, 2022, 09:24:33 PM...but I've only just worked out how to get the taskbar back in the correct place.

Yes, occasionally I accidentally move it to the left and then go "Argh! Fuck! What did I just do???" and it takes longer than it should to move it back.

Quote from: Ferris on November 27, 2021, 11:42:25 PMAdditional bonus, you can hum "Lock the Taskbar?" to the turn of the Clash single of similar name.

You can sing the thread title to Agadoo.

Retinend

6 months on, I've never looked back (read: down, right or left... for the taskbar)

Joe Qunt

Or just a buy a Mac and not have to deal with a taskbar.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 13, 2022, 12:49:42 AMYou can sing the thread title to Agadoo.

Which song? Looks more like The Chicken Song to me.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: pigamus on November 24, 2021, 05:56:20 PMYears ago I had a Mac mini hooked up to a big square CRT monitor and I put my Dock on the left. I just thought it looked better. With a MacBook now it would be daft to put it anywhere but at the bottom.

Eh? It makes more sense to have your dock/taskbar/whatever on the side if vertical space, as is the case on any widescreen monitor, is at a premium.

However it's unnatural and I don't get on with it, so it's not for me Clive.

Ferris

If you leave your taskbar at the bottom you're a sicko.

Move it to the left, and start living a better life today.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 14, 2022, 12:05:25 PMWhich song? Looks more like The Chicken Song to me.

Aaaaa gaaaa doo doo doo, put your taskbar on the left...

Wait. Hat fucked. Chicken Song is a ripoff of Agadoo!

touchingcloth

Having the taskbar on the left is absolute madness if you use dual monitors. You end up with one taskbar on the left of the leftmost screen, and another in the middle, on the left of the rightmost screen.

Quote from: Joe Qunt on April 14, 2022, 12:01:52 PMOr just a buy a Mac and not have to deal with a taskbar.

The dock is the same as a taskbar, essentially. But the simple fact is whether Mac or PC, square or widescreen, dual or single monitors, I think we can all agree that vertical taskbars are the domain of Savile-tier nonces and wronguns. I mean, just look at the lefties dragging themselves from their nests to post in this thread and tell me that that's not perfectly fucking self-evident.

Joe Qunt

My point was you can set the dock to disappear when you're not using it, which is far better than putting it on the left like a pervert.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Joe Qunt on April 14, 2022, 04:03:40 PMMy point was you can set the dock to disappear when you're not using it, which is far better than putting it on the left like a pervert.

I think you can do that on Windows, too?

Personally I prefer having the dock and taskbar always there (the pop ups are always too laggy to be of much use to me), just at the bottom like a normal person and not on the left like a degenerate.

Joe Qunt

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 14, 2022, 04:30:04 PMI think you can do that on Windows, too?

If you can do it, do it. Apple products have changed my life so much, can't stomach using a PC now.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 14, 2022, 04:30:04 PMI think you can do that on Windows, too?

Personally I prefer having the dock and taskbar always there (the pop ups are always too laggy to be of much use to me)

Correct

Quotejust at the bottom like a normal person and not on the left like a degenerate.

never mind.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Joe Qunt on April 14, 2022, 04:34:59 PMIf you can do it, do it. Apple products have changed my life so much, can't stomach using a PC now.

I have to use a PC for work, sadly. Absolute dogshit and I hate it, and it's weird to think how much stuff I used to have to deal with then I used Windows at home, and I'm glad we have an IT department who can deal with the batshit insanity of things like Windows' registry and domain admin bits.

Retinend

Quote from: Retinend on April 14, 2022, 12:00:23 PM

6 months on, I've never looked back (read: down, right or left... for the taskbar)

oh I completed messed up that corny joke ("up, down or right", not "down, right, left").

touchingcloth

Exactly the kind of thing I expect from a depraved left taskbar weirdo, you sick FUCK.

Gurke and Hare

I reckon that video's called "Brexit and why it's great".

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 14, 2022, 03:49:16 PMWait. Hat fucked. Chicken Song is a ripoff of Agadoo!

Yeah. Who do you think the two wet gits with their girly curly hair were?

ProvanFan

Quote from: Joe Qunt on April 14, 2022, 04:34:59 PMIf you can do it, do it. Apple products have changed my life so much, can't stomach using a PC now.
Quote from: touchingcloth on April 14, 2022, 04:53:19 PMI have to use a PC for work, sadly. Absolute dogshit and I hate it, and it's weird to think how much stuff I used to have to deal with then I used Windows at home, and I'm glad we have an IT department who can deal with the batshit insanity of things like Windows' registry and domain admin bits.

Herbalife vibes

touchingcloth

Ferris

100% of paedophiles have their taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Makes you think.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 14, 2022, 10:08:29 PMYeah. Who do you think the two wet gits with their girly curly hair were?

I never thought about it.  The lyrics were ludicrous, so analysing them never entered my head.