Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:38:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musicians appearing on comedy shows.

Started by Glebe, November 21, 2021, 01:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Quote from: Jittlebags on November 21, 2021, 06:03:26 PMLemmy played Spider in Eat the Rich as well.

And appears as himself, along with several other rockers in More Bad News.

Quote from: Steven88 on November 22, 2021, 12:03:55 AMJeff Walker and Bill Steer from Carcass on Red Dwarf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHarNdY5Fnk&ab_channel=nippyems

Bill and Jeff talk about that here... and of course they also got mentioned twice on Friends!:

Phoebe Is A Great Fan of Carcass.

Carcass name checked in "Friends" again.

Bill was just asked about that in a recent interview:

QuoteHow weird was it hearing Carcass name-checked by Phoebe in an episode of Friends in 2001?

Very weird. It just seemed incredibly random. This was after we'd split up [Carcass were inactive from 1995 to 2008], so when my neighbours mentioned that episode, I was completely shocked. We heard on the grapevine that somebody involved in that show was a Carcass fan and they shoehorned it into the script.

LORD BAD VIBE mentioned Robert Smith in South Park, he also appeared on The Mary Whitehouse Experience and Newman and Baddiel in Pieces, and with The Cure on Sean's Show

Just to add to Petey Pate's Simpsons list, there was also Sonic Youth in 'Homerpalooza' and that Metallica episode!

Another thing that comes to mind as a Black Francis/Frank Black fan is his voice-role as the devil in the animated Lil'Bush. The likes of Iggy Pop, Anthony Kiedis, Flea and Dave Grohl also contributed voices to the series.

Ornlu

Glebe

Of course then there's the Man Morris asking Kim Wilde how she feels about clamping the homeless on on The Day Today and Jaz 'Babylon Zoo' Mann and Phil Collins on Brass Eye.

dissolute ocelot

Lulu and Emma Bunton were in Absolutely Fabulous. Lulu is another one who's always done a bit of acting.

dissolute ocelot

Returning to the Matt Groeningverse, Beck and Donovan both provided voices for Futurama. Beck basically plays himself in an episode where Bender becomes a folk singer, while Donovan does a parody of his song Atlantis in the episode set in Atlanta.

George White

Glebe

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 24, 2021, 12:20:00 PMReturning to the Matt Groeningverse, Beck and Donovan both provided voices for Futurama. Beck basically plays himself in an episode where Bender becomes a folk singer, while Donovan does a parody of his song Atlantis in the episode set in Atlanta.

Beastie Boys in Futurama too.

Pink Gregory

If anyone hasn't seen the post-Bob's Burgers animated sitcom on Disney+ The Great North, Alanis Morrissette plays herself as the northern lights.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 25, 2021, 06:26:00 PMIf anyone hasn't seen the post-Bob's Burgers animated sitcom on Disney+ The Great North, Alanis Morrissette plays herself as the northern lights.
Sort of reminds me of a tangent: SCTV characters Bob and Dough McKenzie (a pair of stereotypical Canadians played by Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas) did a comedy album 'The Great White North' - from which came a single 'Take Off' that featured Geddy Lee on vocals, giving him a bigger US chart hit than anything he managed with Rush.

Pink Gregory

ooh!  Speaking of, Zakk Wylde in Aqua Teen Hunger Force.  I don't think Geddy Lee appears but he's mentioned.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 25, 2021, 07:24:37 PMooh!  Speaking of, Zakk Wylde in Aqua Teen Hunger Force.  I don't think Geddy Lee appears but he's mentioned.
On a ATHF/Rush note, Neil Peart is in the film, at one point playing the "drum solo of life".

George White

SCTV also had the Boomtown Rats as themselves in the parody of To Sir with Love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBVfM1aKqOY

BeardFaceMan

Rob Thomas from Matchbox Twenty made a good appearance in It's Always Sunny...

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 25, 2021, 08:10:21 PMRob Thomas from Matchbox Twenty made a good appearance in It's Always Sunny...

Ooh, good call! Can't stand his music, but he was great in that.

Auntie Beryl

I'm no fan of his music, however Continuity Bublé Josh Groban has popped up in a few familiar places: The (US) Office, Parks And Recreation, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend...

DrGreggles

Quote from: Auntie Beryl on November 26, 2021, 12:23:34 PMI'm no fan of his music, however Continuity Bublé Josh Groban has popped up in a few familiar places: The (US) Office, Parks And Recreation, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend...

Tim & Eric too

George White

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Auntie Beryl on November 26, 2021, 12:23:34 PMI'm no fan of his music, however Continuity Bublé Josh Groban has popped up in a few familiar places: The (US) Office, Parks And Recreation, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend...
Groban is also in The Simpsons as Frink's singing voice in season 30's "I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh", after being extensively mentioned in an earlier episode.

Steven88

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 24, 2021, 12:14:15 PMLulu and Emma Bunton were in Absolutely Fabulous. Lulu is another one who's always done a bit of acting.
Emma Bunton was in Not Going Out as well.

McChesney Duntz

Groban's apparently a comedy fiend - actually formed an improv group before he got into the whole singing thing. So his appearance in comedy shows is not as unusual as it seems.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 25, 2021, 06:26:00 PMIf anyone hasn't seen the post-Bob's Burgers animated sitcom on Disney+ The Great North, Alanis Morrissette plays herself as the northern lights.
She's in an episode of Curb as well

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 25, 2021, 08:10:21 PMRob Thomas from Matchbox Twenty made a good appearance in It's Always Sunny...

This obviously doesn't count as Rob Thomas is not actually in it, but it's worth posting for anyone who hasn't seen it. Never fails to make me laugh:

https://twitter.com/chrisfluming/status/1252234282120052737

Ant Farm Keyboard

Bob Dylan appeared in an episode of Dharma and Greg, mostly due to the connections Eddie Gorodetsky had with him. The Simpsons tried to have him for years, but ultimately gave up and had Harry Shearer imitating him in a small segment.

30 Rock had a huge bunch of musicians, especially on the "Kidney Now!" episode with the all-stars line-up for the charity song, including Elvis Costello Declan McManus, international art thief. And, of course, during one of the live episodes, they had Paul McCartney as a guest star for the East coast feed, while it was Kim Kardashian for the West coast, which may denote some pro-New York bias from the show.

Ben Folds, in addition to Community, had a recurring role as himself in You're the Worst.

Ezra Koenig was eaten and then shitted whole by an elephant in the Jack and Triump Show, as a way to increase his own value (just like it is for coffee beans). Joey Fatone was also a regular there.

Michael Stipe guested on all three seasons of At Home with Amy Sedaris, and every time to deliver some pompous piece of poetry without a lot of conviction.

Full House had the Beach Boys, including Brian Wilson, for one episode.

Debbie Harry, Kate Pierson and Micky Dolenz were on Difficult People.

Of course, there's a whole article that could be written about Dolenz' cameos (including the Dr. Steve Brule special Bagboy), and an entire book about Weird "Al" Yankovic.

AsparagusTrevor

and the aforementioned Always Sunny, featuring in Dee's section of "The Gang Saves the Day". He likes his ladies to pop.

dissolute ocelot

Roger Daltry played a music teacher in That 70s Show. Noddy Holder played a music teacher in The Grimleys. I'm sure other pop/rock stars have also played music teachers.

Suzi Quatro was in both Happy Days and Minder.

Also in the realm of comedy drama, Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden played a rock singer in Leslie Grantham vehicle The Paradise Club.

I'm sure there's a discussion elsewhere on this site about Davy Jones of the Monkees on Herman's Head, nearly taking Lisa Simpson's virginity. And many other Monkee roles.

It seems more common for bands to pop up on American teen dramas, from Buffy to The OC, than on comedies (presumably due to budgets and filming time). However I can tell you that Backstreet Boys, Sixpence None The Richer, The Violent Femmes, Daniel Bedingfield, Avril Lavigne, 10000 Maniacs, Ashanti, and more appeared on the Melissa Joan Hart era Sabrina The Teenage Witch.

Steven88

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 29, 2021, 11:26:56 AMRoger Daltry played a music teacher in That 70s Show. Noddy Holder played a music teacher in The Grimleys. I'm sure other pop/rock stars have also played music teachers.

Noddy Holder was in Max & Paddy as well.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 29, 2021, 11:26:56 AMAlso in the realm of comedy drama, Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden played a rock singer in Leslie Grantham vehicle The Paradise Club.

"Life's crap, then you die!" No wonder they're called Fraud Squad; they're meant to be making the biggest album in rock history and all they've got to show for it is a tepid Free cover.

I hear Andre Previn was on the Morecambe & Wise Show (as of course were John, Paul, George and Bongo).

Glebe

Quote from: Glebe on November 21, 2021, 01:12:50 PMKenny Everett also featured several musical guests on ITV's The Kenny Everett Video Show, including David Bowie and Toyah... I think Freddie Mercury meeting Sid Snot is from The Kenny Everett Show, though?

Actually just to be a pernickety nerd that Freddie appearance was from the Video Show after all. And here's Kate Bush on it!

Quote from: Glebe on November 21, 2021, 01:12:50 PMThat video also includes Alan's Kate Bush tribute (apparently Coogan wanted her to be part of it, but she gave him some really profound reason for not doing it or summit).

Found the clip of Coogan talking about that, though it sounds like something else he asked her to collaborate on rather than that Comic Relief appearance as I assumed. Interesting doco that actually.

Mark X

Just remembered another one - a post-reformation Go-Go's popping up in a cold open for The Drew Carey Show, and being kind enough to perform a version of the theme tune.

RHX

Mel C from The Spice Girls showed up in series 3 of Norm.