Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:48:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old shops in film and telly

Started by George White, November 24, 2021, 04:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Simnock

If you want to see a genuine old 1970's shop unchanged from the past then go to settle and look for 'roundabout', weirdest vibe from any building I ever go near, something about it is very odd, almost hauntological.

George White

Christ

There are places like this in Ireland.
The Profil/Man from UNCLE font is especially common.

gilbertharding

There's a good supermarket scene in The Ipcress File (1965).

The shelving gondolas (is that what they're called?) are all really low, the lighting is all dim, and the trolleys are TINY.

Gardners, 31 The Broadway, Wimbledon, apparently. Not a Key Markets, sadly.

An odd video of stills

mippy

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 25, 2021, 02:34:49 PMI think there's a newsagent in Cracker, the one where Ecclescake meets his end, which was round the corner from me in Levenshulme. I really like record shops in films although I always end up pausing to see what's in the racks.

In the Samantha Morton episode there are great shots of the old Arndale interior, though sadly the Warner Bros Store doesn't make an appearance.

This is a news item but one of my favourites, sums up how, if I visit NYC, what I want is to see the city of the late 70s/early 80s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43MBhzwhb8E

George White

This 1961 Alfred Hitchcock Presents, the only one AFAIK filmed outside the US has some particularly lovely shots of  Brighton Pier c.1961, and the pavilion, and a gent reading the Express.
Stars Carry On B-lister Eric Barker https://ok.ru/video/387012889328

shoulders

What about ROLL ON BLANK TAPES shop in Cambridge

non capisco

The Autons' high street antics in 'Spearhead From Space' is a good if obvious one, you never really got a lot of location stuff in golden era Who. Feels like it's all crammed in Pertwee's first series. Look at that, though. 1970 billboards and everything.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: non capisco on December 09, 2021, 11:01:31 PM

The Autons' high street antics in 'Spearhead From Space' is a good if obvious one, you never really got a lot of location stuff in golden era Who. Feels like it's all crammed in Pertwee's first series. Look at that, though. 1970 billboards and everything.

Does anybody else like playing detective with location shots like this and trying to figure out where the location is? Shops are often a good clue - even if the shop isn't there any more, a phone number displayed on a shop front is often still attached to the same building. Not much to go on in that photo, but it's Doctor Who so nerds will have documented it in detail somewhere.

I've been doing this a lot with The Bill as I watch it on UKTV Play - most of the locations on the ones I'm up to at the moment are in Merton/Wimbledon with trips to Bermondsey when they need to do stuff by the river.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on December 10, 2021, 10:50:11 AMDoes anybody else like playing detective with location shots like this and trying to figure out where the location is? Shops are often a good clue - even if the shop isn't there any more, a phone number displayed on a shop front is often still attached to the same building. Not much to go on in that photo, but it's Doctor Who so nerds will have documented it in detail somewhere.

Yeah!  If I had the time I'd start investigating it right now!  It's so very familiar - looks like parts of Merton / Morden I grew up around - but honestly it could be absolutely anywhere in That London.  And I'm not convinced that googling "Leather Goods" would give much of a good starting point.  For identifying the location, I mean.

Sebastian Cobb

One of the things that made me think The Wire seemed quite old were the scenes in Prop Joe's repair shop.

The Wire had some intentionally dated tech in both the police departments and the ailing newspaper that worked at the time but as time passes and eras get smooshed together in our memory just make it seem a little dated. However Joe's shop is different to that, Joe's Shop is kind of the last days of gadgets that still had moving parts that could actually be repaired (like VCR's, DVD players etc).

non capisco

Quote from: Darles Chickens on December 10, 2021, 12:49:00 PMYeah!  If I had the time I'd start investigating it right now!  It's so very familiar - looks like parts of Merton / Morden I grew up around - but honestly it could be absolutely anywhere in That London.  And I'm not convinced that googling "Leather Goods" would give much of a good starting point.  For identifying the location, I mean.

Getting in ahead of all the other massive nerds. It's Ealing High Street.

Replies From View

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 24, 2021, 06:47:22 PMSomeone rollerskated into Mothercare in January last year, causing it to permanently shut all its branches.

This keeps happening

Replies From View

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on November 24, 2021, 10:04:44 PMObserve Rod Hull and Emu in a supermarket. Appreciate the skill of the leap into the freezer.

I just wouldn't have a pet emu

Replies From View

Quote from: flotemysost on November 24, 2021, 10:30:55 PMNot a shop (as such) but my childhood bedroom was in the running to be used as a filming location for a brothel on an episode of The Bill, apparently.

How did your bedroom get "discovered" as a brilliant filming location for anything?  Was it something your parents advertised?

Gurke and Hare

flotemysost

Quote from: Replies From View on December 10, 2021, 02:06:49 PMHow did your bedroom get "discovered" as a brilliant filming location for anything?  Was it something your parents advertised?

I think there was an ad or posting in some kind of industry rag or message board or something that my dad saw, and at the time the room was looking a bit deso (it still does tbf) - window had a massive crack through it, faded wallpaper half-ripped off (with a view to redecorating), raggedy sun-bleached curtains with bunnies on etc. With a bit of imagination/movie magic it probably could have convincingly resembled a cliched vision of a brothel.

Replies From View

I really wish that had gone ahead.  And that they had kept all your toys and bed in there and everything.

flotemysost

Yeah, a shot with my Bang On The Door™ Groovy Chick duvet cover rumpled in the background would have added a grim pathos. 28 I was etc.