Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:49:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I'm in me electric nerd car, broom broom [split topic]

Started by checkoutgirl, November 27, 2021, 09:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

Just stick induction loops in the roads and they'd never need recharging.

idunnosomename

Take the battery out and rub it on your trousers to get home

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 28, 2021, 12:05:18 PMJust stick induction loops in the roads and they'd never need recharging.

Make one big car for lots of people and maybe hang some wires in the air for it to get its power from. Bet nobody's tried that before.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 28, 2021, 12:17:12 PMMake one big car for lots of people and maybe hang some wires in the air for it to get its power from. Bet nobody's tried that before.

Death trap, cunts would be fried before they paid their fare.

Pie in the sky stuff that.

Thursday

My Dad has a Tesla, I don't believe he has any awareness of what a wanker Musk is.

It's irritating, because it is a good car tbf.

Captain Z

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 28, 2021, 09:22:19 AMHe's bought a new one that does 300 miles on a full battery so charging happens pretty inoften for him, so it's no bother

Surely it's still some bother? That's about the same mileage as a tank of petrol so he must have to plan certain journeys to accommodate a stop at a charging point?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Captain Z on November 28, 2021, 01:59:07 PMSurely it's still some bother? That's about the same mileage as a tank of petrol so he must have to plan certain journeys to accommodate a stop at a charging point?

On a lot of them the charging is non-linear so you can often get back to about 80% in the time it takes to stop for a piss and stretch your legs/have a coffee.

Ferris

I think the hybrid ones are the best compromise so you drive around with your full tank but rely largely on the battery. If the battery goes flat, you still have your normal engine to drive about on.

Sebastian Cobb

Don't need a car if you join the Tang Ping movement though.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 28, 2021, 02:11:43 PMDon't need a car if you join the Tang Ping movement though.

That sounds mega.

"A chive lying flat is difficult to reap" - words to live by.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: phantom_power on November 28, 2021, 10:29:24 AMIf companies were serious about this whole thing they would standardise the batteries, have them easily removable and then at petrol stations you would just swap your one for a full one, and put your one to charge for someone else. That would alleviate the long battery charge times making filling up on a journey more manageable

I haven't thought through the practicalities of that but it seems like a reasonable idea

Something like this?

Jasha

Interesting Panorama the other night about cobalt mining in the DRC (applies to all batteries I suppose but Tesla seemed to be at the front of the cunt queue)

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Thursday on November 28, 2021, 01:12:50 PMMy Dad has a Tesla, I don't believe he has any awareness of what a wanker Musk is.

It's irritating, because it is a good car tbf.

Are you sure it's a good car? Some on here will have you believe they are the worst built cars of all time and they fall apart and death traps and nothing fits and etc etc etc

shoulders

Course I'm not okay! I'm selling fuckin' Kias!! Think about that!

BlodwynPig

I saw a mad car go across Westminster Bridge just now. Think Mercedes but armoured to fuck. The lights were a sickly neon yellow/green and the same colour lit up along the front end trim. Reg was TIG ... no idea but did look very futuristic even though i hate vanity cars

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jasha on November 28, 2021, 04:04:55 PMNot the absolute worst built

Surprised how low Volvo are on that. I know their reputation suffered under the Ford era but I'd heard that the Chinese company that bought them were working hard to bring them back to the 'reliable tank' era.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 28, 2021, 04:22:07 PMSurprised how low Volvo are on that. I know their reputation suffered under the Ford era but I'd heard that the Chinese company that bought them were working hard to bring them back to the 'reliable tank' era.

Likewise surprised to see the Japanese Mercedes at the top of the pile as I always thought of them as skoda-tier.

Sebastian Cobb

I thought Lexus were a decent buy overall? Just a Toyota with window dressing but seem to cost nothing used and live forever like Toyota's.

Nearly took a punt on one for about 800 quid with a year's mot but got beaten to it.

FiremanJim

I knew a bloke who was a "self employed"* lorry driver. He bought an electric car because he could write it off his tax bill for some reason. Think he spent about £30k on it which meant he didn't pay any income tax that year and got a free car.

* Self employed while working 5 shifts per week for the same company for over two years

FiremanJim

Also: Elon Musk is a genius. The only people more annoying than his fanboys who think he's the messiah are the folk who call him "stupid" just to be contrarian. L + bellend + fell off + white

Sebastian Cobb

I don't think people say he's stupid. More a pathetic twat and a bit of a grifter.

chveik

Quote from: FiremanJim on November 28, 2021, 05:46:26 PMAlso: Elon Musk is a genius. The only people more annoying than his fanboys who think he's the messiah are the folk who call him "stupid" just to be contrarian. L + bellend + fell off + white

calling him a genius sounds like pathetic contrarianism to me

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 28, 2021, 05:34:51 PMI thought Lexus were a decent buy overall? Just a Toyota with window dressing but seem to cost nothing used and live forever like Toyota's.

Nearly took a punt on one for about 800 quid with a year's mot but got beaten to it.

In laws have one and love it, I think I'm just out of touch.

I mean, I'm the berk who was briefly considering a Tesla so what the fuck do I know?

Blumf

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 28, 2021, 04:17:16 PMI saw a mad car go across Westminster Bridge just now. Think Mercedes but armoured to fuck. The lights were a sickly neon yellow/green and the same colour lit up along the front end trim. Reg was TIG ... no idea but did look very futuristic even though i hate vanity cars

Something like this?

Merc G Class, utter shit for cunts, with an after-market bling industry to suit.

buzby

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on November 28, 2021, 03:36:46 PM
Something like this?

It only works on NIO's cars though (no other manufacturer has licenced their standard off them yet, and their biggest domestic rival in China, Xpeng, are developing their own battery swapping system and network). It's a subscription service where you pay for a particular number of swaps per year based on your predicted usage (wixh also means you buy the car without a battery).

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 28, 2021, 04:22:07 PMSurprised how low Volvo are on that. I know their reputation suffered under the Ford era but I'd heard that the Chinese company that bought them were working hard to bring them back to the 'reliable tank' era.
Geely bought Volvo mainly to use their brand and expertise for the Chinese market (they bult a Volvo factory over there so they could supply S60s without the Chinese import tax), and have been concetrating their efforts there (the Geely-owned Lynk & Co brand are built on Volvo platforms and designed by Volvo). I don't think Volvo suffered that much under Ford, it was only really the 40-series cars that shared much with tthem (built on the Focus playform), and it went both ways (Ford using Volvo's 5-cylinder engines in the Focus and Mondeo, for example). Having owned a few V40s over the bast 10 years I can say they were better quality and spec and screwed together better than the equivalent Focus they shared platforms with.

Volvo's problem is that after the sale to Geely and having to start doing all their own development again (i.e. no longer being able to rely on Ford to share the cost of developing engines, gearboxes and electronics) the prices started going up to Merc and BMW levels (previously they were seen as Ford's competitor to the VW/Audi sector), and customers started expecting that level of quality. The VEA engines they self-developed to replace the engines they shared with Ford (the 5-cylinders having fallen foul of the EU emissions regs) were rushed into production and so had a lot teething problems that should have been found under pre-production testing. They have also struggled with the electronics and software side, again with faults that should have been found with more testing.

Their biggest problem now is the model range - the entry level is either the fully electric C30 (a sort of half-way house between a hatchback and an an SUV, which is basically the Volvo version of the Lynk & Co 01) or the XC40 SUV (which can be had in hybrid or fully electric forms). There has been no replacement for the Focus/Golf/A3/A-Class/1-series class V40 hatcback, so I won't be getting any more Volvos. They go on their website about sustainabilty and wanting to save the planet, but the bulk of their range is now massive SUVs with housebrick aerodynamics.

On that subject, how come most Teslas and E-paces I see are being driven in the outside lane of the motorway at 80-odd mph? It's almost like their owners are buying them as company car tax fiddles rather than any concern about the environment.

Sebastian Cobb

That's a great post buzby, along the same lines I note north american Ford don't make 'cars' at all now (spotted this through a roundabout reading of the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor), focusing entirely on trucks. Sadly it seems they'e creeping this into the European market as well, shrinking the lines, which I think results in euro sub/mini-compacts, but also promotion towards 'jacked up' versions of hatchbacks and estates.

bespoke

Apparently Mary Barra invented the modern electric car, according to Potus.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 28, 2021, 10:46:40 PMThat's a great post buzby, along the same lines I note north american Ford don't make 'cars' at all now (spotted this through a roundabout reading of the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor), focusing entirely on trucks. Sadly it seems they'e creeping this into the European market as well, shrinking the lines, which I think results in euro sub/mini-compacts, but also promotion towards 'jacked up' versions of hatchbacks and estates.

Fucking Ford cunting trucks. Hate them, and anyone who drives one (or a competitor's equivalent).

Some of these things have bonnet levels taller than me so the actual cab is like 8' off the ground or something, chap down the street has the extra shocks that lift it another 2' into the air - we live in a city you fucking spoon, and your shitty truck means you can't see anything under 7' tall (aka literally any pedestrian and their child) so you are a hazard environmentally, personally, and are likely a nonce (I know the type).

Dex Sawash

I have a 2016 XC90 Volvo to work on next week that needs a new engine. $14,000 ($2.5k of that is labo(u)r )
Most of the 4 cyls use oil, have no dipstick and the electronic low oil warning is not vigilant enough so it is easy to ignore as the car trains you to disegard what seems like yet another glitch. Can fix oil use with a set of improved pistons for $4500 but most of them do damage to other parts from continued operation with low oil level.