Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:22:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Why are UK houses so ugly

Started by Cuellar, November 29, 2021, 01:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

Quote from: monkfromhavana on November 29, 2021, 02:21:42 PMI find Scottish houses to be the ugliest. I think it's all the sandstone which, when accompanied by the dour weather, make everything seem a bit dank.
That sounds like eastern Scotland. The sandstone got a bit manky in the past in the industrial age, and it doesn't look great. A lot of Scottish council houses, as well as post-war private houses, have a crappy pebble-dash look, and it's not much better.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: canadagoose on November 29, 2021, 04:13:24 PMThat sounds like eastern Scotland. The sandstone got a bit manky in the past in the industrial age, and it doesn't look great. A lot of Scottish council houses, as well as post-war private houses, have a crappy pebble-dash look, and it's not much better.

Did you ever see the metal prefabs up near Northfield when you stayed in Aberdeen?

Horrid things, the bolts that hold the metal together tend to rust so they get big brown stains down them like a ships hull.

Cerys

Quote from: Cuellar on November 29, 2021, 01:48:32 PMNew build modern house, wow! Looks great!!!

Looks like conjoined Hitlers.

Twit 2

And the detached version, those but  sliced in half, is referred to in the brochure as "The Mengele."

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Cuellar

UK houses: grey in appearance, and demeanour.

TrenterPercenter

Is this one of those threads where someone is going to post a picture of man in stockings putting his willy in a letter box?

Glebe

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 29, 2021, 06:34:44 PMIs this one of those threads where someone is going to post a picture of man in stockings putting his willy in a letter box?

Or sticking a cucumber in a letterbox with a speech bubble saying "The Martians are coming!" © Ken Dodd.

monkfromhavana

One thing that makes UK houses ugly is either having no front garden whatsoever, or just having paving slabs to park your car on instead of a bit of a garden.

Noodle Lizard

I remember finding it weird to see some of the richest entertainers in the UK's houses, compared with their US counterparts. When that whole Jimmy Carr tax evasion scandal happened, you couldn't move for seeing photos of his 8.5 million quid home:

It looks like a pediatricians office!

The UK does have some wonderful architecture, but it seems as though nobody really lives in it.

Psmith

It's the same here in Oz.They've gone more for the concrete air raid shelter with windows style.No semi's but detached houses far enough apart someone can walk between and get to the back garden aka outside entertainment area.

Blumf

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 29, 2021, 08:14:01 PMWhen that whole Jimmy Carr tax evasion scandal happened, you couldn't move for seeing photos of his 8.5 million quid home:

Is that the UK equivalent of a McMansion?

Icehaven

Quote from: Psmith on November 30, 2021, 12:23:31 AMIt's the same here in Oz.They've gone more for the concrete air raid shelter with windows style.No semi's but detached houses far enough apart someone can walk between and get to the back garden aka outside entertainment area.

That's untold privilege in the UK. I've very, very rarely encountered anyone who lives in a detached house, and even then they were mostly bungalows.

canadagoose

Quote from: icehaven on November 30, 2021, 12:29:44 AMThat's untold privilege in the UK. I've very, very rarely encountered anyone who lives in a detached house, and even then they were mostly bungalows.
I knew a couple back in the Borders who lived in a detached house, but they were high school teachers. I can't imagine being able to afford one myself. Even semi-detached is pushing it in the Edinburgh urban area.

katzenjammer

New build houses could be improved a lot just by putting bigger windows in, but they always choose tiny ones. I guess there must be some minor cost saving the cunt builders just can't resist.

Zetetic

Easy way towards (nominal?) energy efficiency, I'd guess.

katzenjammer

Been like that for decades, way before anyone (nominally) gave a shit about energy efficiency

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Blumf on November 30, 2021, 12:29:20 AMIs that the UK equivalent of a McMansion?
It's probably built better than a true McMansion (the US ones are built of stucco covered wood or fake brick veneer with styrofoam mouldings/fibreglass columns), but it is the same kind of architectural dog's dinner.

Buelligan

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: icehaven on November 30, 2021, 12:29:44 AMThat's untold privilege in the UK. I've very, very rarely encountered anyone who lives in a detached house, and even then they were mostly bungalows.

Untold privilege? Round my end there are loads of detached houses like this - https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/59917583/?search_identifier=90b0a56f7726800a643db1df3ef9f6e4. Every single new estate built in the area over the last 10 years has a load of detached houses built in them and they go as soon as the plots become available to buy. Even places like Burnley and Nelson have loads of detached houses in them - https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/59949415/?search_identifier=4ffc07963acaf1d2b920e8710aba9cf0

Icehaven

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on November 30, 2021, 10:20:35 AMUntold privilege? Round my end there are loads of detached houses like this - https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/59917583/?search_identifier=90b0a56f7726800a643db1df3ef9f6e4. Every single new estate built in the area over the last 10 years has a load of detached houses built in them and they go as soon as the plots become available to buy. Even places like Burnley and Nelson have loads of detached houses in them - https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/59949415/?search_identifier=4ffc07963acaf1d2b920e8710aba9cf0

Fair enough, but I don't know anyone who lives in one. The vast majority of homes in the West Midlands aren't detached and a lot that are are prohibitively expensive (unless they're shitholes/in shitholes.)

Dex Sawash

Saw some attached ones the other day that the end units had fake windows on the side. Just rectangle of applied white trim with white crosshair inside with negative space painted flat black. Will probably fall off in 2 years.

mate

Edit- em-eight filter still works

imitationleather

I saw a video of someone vlogging outside their house and you could tell it was a fancy one because it had big windows. However, immediately behind these massive windows was a staircase. So from the outside all you could see was an off-centre diagonal staircase right in view.

It looked absolutely appalling. Why the fuck would they build it like that?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Blumf on November 30, 2021, 12:29:20 AMIs that the UK equivalent of a McMansion?
not really. McMansions are because there's such a dearth of large properties in the US for nouveau riche to buy. This is a arts and craftsy/Queen Anne Style 1900s house. A rather ugly one, yes. But not as incompressibly built as an American new mansion build

Found it in a couple of minutes. it looks a lot better with the original box porch on it in 2008 before Jimmy bought it and put that awful naff lil collonaded one on though. he's also had a massive modern wing built to the right, in front of it.

mrpupkin

Quote from: Cuellar on November 29, 2021, 01:48:32 PMNew build modern house, wow! Looks great!!!

Would fucking love to live in one of these massive houses with three floors tbh. Who cares what it looks like from the outside, not gonna sit out on the driveway looking at it am I?

Dr Rock

Yeah Carr has ruined that building the no-taste arse.

pigamus

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 29, 2021, 08:14:01 PMI remember finding it weird to see some of the richest entertainers in the UK's houses, compared with their US counterparts. When that whole Jimmy Carr tax evasion scandal happened, you couldn't move for seeing photos of his 8.5 million quid home:

It looks like a pediatricians office!

The UK does have some wonderful architecture, but it seems as though nobody really lives in it.

Why the fuck was he allowed to build that, it looks awful

If it's not big enough then buy a bigger one you honking twat

retsuza

As ugly as many houses in the UK might be at least it's not as bad as it is in Ireland where thousands of houses are actually falling apart because some assholes used shit building materials: