Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:34:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why are UK houses so ugly

Started by Cuellar, November 29, 2021, 01:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

If I was an Irish builder I'd always use the highest quality materials and do the best job possible.

Would hate to fulfil the stereotype.

pigamus

Blumf

Quote from: retsuza on November 30, 2021, 01:29:12 PMAs ugly as many houses in the UK might be at least it's not as bad as it is in Ireland where thousands of houses are actually falling apart because some assholes used shit building materials:

Well... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50827576

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: pigamus on November 30, 2021, 01:28:01 PMWhy the fuck was he allowed to build that, it looks awful

If it's not big enough then buy a bigger one you honking twat

I was wondering what the requirement to build a new wing for given it looks like the place has lots of rooms already, which made me think perhaps it was something that would be difficult to shove inside the existing building like a pool or something. But that's sheer guesswork.

idunnosomename

looks like there already was a swimming pool wing built alongside it in the 90s that he had demolished and rebuilt. anyway you try finding somewhere big enough that's this handy for Swiss Cottage.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on November 30, 2021, 10:20:35 AMUntold privilege? Round my end there are loads of detached houses like this

Hehe Clit Heroe

Quote from: icehaven on November 30, 2021, 10:49:27 AMFair enough, but I don't know anyone who lives in one. The vast majority of homes in the West Midlands aren't detached and a lot that are are prohibitively expensive (unless they're shitholes/in shitholes.)

This is true but some of the terraced housing is still very nice - I love my 1910 Victoria Terrace to bits I'd only ever want to live in the next rung up because some of them have cellars and I want a cellar for plotting shit a home gym.

Holy shit! not looked at house prices for a while they have gone even more nuts!

richjj1978

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 30, 2021, 02:15:46 PMHehe Clit Heroe

This is true but some of the terraced housing is still very nice - I love my 1910 Victoria Terrace to bits I'd only ever want to live in the next rung up because some of them have cellars and I want a cellar for plotting shit a home gym.

Holy shit! not looked at house prices for a while they have gone even more nuts!

West Mids late Victorian terrace here. Lovely house with a usable cellar, mine's got central heating and a 43 in plasma in it.

Lots of this grey shit stuck to the front of houses round here.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: richjj1978 on November 30, 2021, 02:22:23 PMWest Mids late Victorian terrace here. Lovely house with a usable cellar, mine's got central heating and a 43 in plasma in it.

Nice! I am very jealous.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 30, 2021, 02:29:30 PMLots of this grey shit stuck to the front of houses round here.

Is that just stuck on the front of the brick? It looks like what Americans do because they build houses that are just wooden frames with wood or metal siding stuck on the front. Except it's not on top of the rest of the wall, it's further forwards.

pigamus

So many houses painted that dull battleship grey now. There's a pub chain and all their pubs are grey as well - the Sizzling ones maybe? Is there a reason for it?

FiremanJim

You can't even see your house when you're inside it so it doesn't even matter

idunnosomename

Quote from: pigamus on November 30, 2021, 04:27:09 PMSo many houses painted that dull battleship grey now. There's a pub chain and all their pubs are grey as well - the Sizzling ones maybe? Is there a reason for it?
finally a compromise between ocean grey and military grey

richjj1978

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 30, 2021, 05:23:20 PMIt's fashionable.

I blame influencers (and by association, the people who let themselves be influenced)

pigamus

Oh I thought it might be anti vandal paint or something

I means it's literally the colour you'd paint a corporation bus garage in 1952

dissolute ocelot

Farrow and Ball have a range of paint called Dead Flat.

PlanktonSideburns