Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:05:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Hill Would You Die On?

Started by Dr Rock, November 30, 2021, 10:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Davina McCall's fanny mound.
If I'm allowed to choose.

New page sexist pig.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: shoulders on November 30, 2021, 01:35:12 PMMost people can tell which pubs are boozers and which are family friendly just from the outside and their own needs dictate their selection. This casual system seems to work pretty effectively from my experience.

Most parents don't. There are plenty of places you can take your spawn to eat other than pubs. Really don't want to have to listen to little Timmy screeching his head off while I'm trying to enjoy my pint of foaming nut brown.

Butchers Blind

Galeee

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's not a hill, it's a mountain. This is the hill I'll die on!

richjj1978

Quote from: Kankurette on November 30, 2021, 01:23:17 PMWhat about dogs?
For the price of a bonio they can be used to enforce the no-kid mandate

Johnny Yesno

Why can't parents leave their kids in the car while they go and get hammered in the pub like they used to in the 70s?

Johnny Yesno

Cloud

If your main purpose for being at a pub is "a pint in peace" then you should just go to a wet-led pub.  There are "foody" pubs I avoid like the plague myself unless I'm actually looking to eat there too because whether there are kids there or not, there's nothing worse than trying to sup a pint with staff whizzing back and forth with plates, the constant sound of everyone stuffing their faces etc.  It's awful.  Stop moaning and go to a wet-led.  Save the foody family pubs for when you want to eat.

Kids in wet-leds are much rarer - haven't seen any in my local for ages.  So are much much less of an issue if you just go to the right pub.

Twonty Gostelow

Box.

I am sorry, I thought you said what hill would you dine on.

I came close to creating a sock account as 'Emma Woodhouse' to post that - there's something wrong with me.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Bigfella

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 30, 2021, 12:07:07 PMFor me, yes, which is why I'd probably go with Barcelona.
Fair play, my friend; fair play indeed.  I'm sure that Barca is magnificent in it's own right, but it wouldn't have pubs and chip shops like ours or host all the Old Firm games.  Each to their own.

Quote from: Cloud on November 30, 2021, 02:32:20 PMIf your main purpose for being at a pub is "a pint in peace" then you should just go to a wet-led pub. 

No thank you, I've had quite enough of that 'Chaise Longue' song.

pancreas

Schubert's music is gay in a bad aids sort of way.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: shoulders on November 30, 2021, 01:35:12 PMWhen children were more readily shunned at pubs you had industrial quantities of 14-17 year olds being served underage anyway.

The hill I will die on is that the crackdown on underage drinking in pubs, probably around the turn of the century but maybe at some time in the decade before that has caused an increase in problem drinking. When I was 16 or so you knew that if you behaved yourself you'd probably get away with having 2 or 3 pints, and with all the adults around you'd learn to drink in a fairly safe and sensible environment. When that went out of the window it was all binge drinking at the war memorial and the ensuing horrors.

Fonz

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 30, 2021, 12:55:38 PMI will always stand by my recent thread on here about how any type of palate cleansing between foods or drinks is a bourgeoise construct. If you're eating or drinking anything in such a small measure you have to make sure your mouth can receive it with unbiased objectivity to fully experience it then you are a fucking posho. Two or three mouthfuls of anything and your mouth switches to experiencing that thing to its fullest.

My other hill is that "Remission" is the only good Mastodon album and the rest is almost entirely dull shite.

Both bollocks, but 'Fire Ants' is fucking brilliant

shoulders

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 30, 2021, 03:37:27 PMThe hill I will die on is that the crackdown on underage drinking in pubs, probably around the turn of the century but maybe at some time in the decade before that has caused an increase in problem drinking. When I was 16 or so you knew that if you behaved yourself you'd probably get away with having 2 or 3 pints, and with all the adults around you'd learn to drink in a fairly safe and sensible environment. When that went out of the window it was all binge drinking at the war memorial and the ensuing horrors.

I think there's something to that, yes. See the Mediterranean where children start early in a controlled setting and alcohol loses its novelty/taboo by 18, which doesn't prevent teenage excess or indeed adult alcoholism but smooths the spike a little bit.

Dr Trouser

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 30, 2021, 11:46:52 AMDoes it have a lovey beach? Oh no, then it fails.
Boden Boo knocks any twee med beach into a cocked hat

shoulders

Quote from: Cloud on November 30, 2021, 02:32:20 PMIf your main purpose for being at a pub is "a pint in peace" then you should just go to a wet-led pub.  There are "foody" pubs I avoid like the plague myself unless I'm actually looking to eat there too because whether there are kids there or not, there's nothing worse than trying to sup a pint with staff whizzing back and forth with plates, the constant sound of everyone stuffing their faces etc.  It's awful.  Stop moaning and go to a wet-led.  Save the foody family pubs for when you want to eat.

Kids in wet-leds are much rarer - haven't seen any in my local for ages.  So are much much less of an issue if you just go to the right pub.

I agree.

Though I'd include pubs that do food if the food plays second fiddle to the purpose of the place. Booze only boozers are becoming ever scarcer, perhaps that's bringing grumps like upthread into contact with the screaming brats he hates.

Cloud

Quote from: shoulders on November 30, 2021, 04:02:54 PMI agree.

Though I'd include pubs that do food if the food plays second fiddle to the purpose of the place. Booze only boozers are becoming ever scarcer, perhaps that's bringing grumps like upthread into contact with the screaming brats he hates.

Yeah I think that's a fair shout.  The one I have in mind is very strongly "food led", every table in the pub is for eating at, they serve quite late etc and there's not really any room to "just have a pint" most of the time as the tables are often booked and if you're standing you're constantly moving out of the way of the servers dashing back and forth.

I've seen pubs with separate "dining areas" (where the kiddos would tend to be), ones that have it as very much a secondary thing etc and those aren't so bad.

For my liking, a "compromise" pub should stop serving food by around 7 or 8 at the latest.  That way all the kids and foodies are out by about 8-9 which is when I turn up.

richjj1978

Quote from: shoulders on November 30, 2021, 03:45:50 PMI think there's something to that, yes. See the Mediterranean where children start early in a controlled setting and alcohol loses its novelty/taboo by 18, which doesn't prevent teenage excess or indeed adult alcoholism but smooths the spike a little bit.

I remember an interview between the health minister at the time and Kay Burley when the government was planning yet another crackdown on underage drinking. Burley just said something along the lines of 'I first got drunk at 15. What's the problem?," and then badgered him until he admitted that his first big drinking experience was around the same age.

He then went back to trying to plug his policy as a serious concern. To constant reminders from Burley, that he'd turned out ok, so maybe not the fault of the booze alone.

I'm sure it will be on YouTube somewhere.

shoulders

I won't watch anything where there's a risk of Kay Burley looking in any way less than the horrid Gotcha cunt she is.

In fact that is the hill I will die on.

Dex Sawash

The one from that film with Chief Obrien and Hugh Grant

Kankurette

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on November 30, 2021, 03:12:08 PMHillsborough
Good choice. Actually, speaking of which: Wednesday would have stayed up if Bruce hadn't left.

Johnny Foreigner

Hillsborough is not on a hill; it's in the Rivelin Valley. Coming from Walkley or Crookes, you actually need to descend the hill to get to the big Morrisons in Hillsborough (or the Wetherspoons).

Johnny Foreigner

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Pineapple has every right to be on pizza. I'm not saying you have to like it, but if you think it's inherently wrong, you are an arse.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 30, 2021, 04:36:25 PMThe one from that film with Chief Obrien and Hugh Grant
I refer you to my earlier comment.

Johnny Yesno

Silent (and I did, many, many horrific times).