Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:56:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dancing the commies away

Started by Dex Sawash, December 04, 2021, 08:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Got a flyer in the mail for a performance of traditional chinese arts by a troupe called Shen Yun. It set off my falun gong alarm with strange phrasing. Sure enough, wikipedia says it is the FG.

How would they free china by having me watch them dance and sing? Is Falun Gong absolutely bad (or good)? Obviously I don't really care but maybe a few of you will call each other cunts/block each other or maybe someone will flounce.

bgmnts

All I can suggest is grassing them up to the CCP immediately.

chveik

pretty sure they're bad. but since the US foreign policy is based on 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend', we have to pretend they're good

chabrol

I've received the same thing through the post three times now, except in this case it's an A4 booklet rather than just a flyer. It's very, very upfront in its anti-CCP ideology; there's a whole page or so explaining how this is about the China "the CCP doesn't want you to see", lines about the tyranny of communism and stories about dancers and concertmasters escaping to the 'refreshingly free' US from persecution in China and a page in the back with quotes from former US congressmen and European ministers and various celebrities (including Brian May) about how great the show is and how Shun Yen are making the world a better place. An odd thing to come through the letter box. It's also definitely keeping the whole thing about Falun Gong very, very quiet, despite the fact most reports suggest it's up-front in the show itself.

Tickets for the London show are between £62 and £138. Might be worth lowering those if they want to bring the message to a wider audience.

This article is interesting; apparently, it's not just anti-Communist, but also anti-atheist and anti-evolution, and includes a dance sequence based on the organ harvesting of Falun Gong members. The article states that the whole thing is self-sustained based on the high ticket-prices, and demand for the same, but you've got to wonder if there's other sources of financial support considering the apparent size of the marketing campaign and the expense of the show itself.

Kankurette

Is the organ harvesting thing true? These guys had a stand in Market Street last time I was in town and they had all the usual organ harvesting stuff.

Paul Calf

Weeping for the memory of a love gone...bay?

Pink Gregory

Finally a little flair, bored to tears of coups and death squads, me.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Kankurette on December 05, 2021, 01:49:38 AMIs the organ harvesting thing true? These guys had a stand in Market Street last time I was in town and they had all the usual organ harvesting stuff.

As far as I can tell it is true, though I don't know if it is specifically targetted at Falun Gong.

Theremin

I like the idea of going to this in a Mao-suit and scowling throughout

Theremin

Arms crossed, brows furroughed, big bag of revels completely untouched

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: chveik on December 05, 2021, 01:09:51 AMpretty sure they're bad. but since the US foreign policy is based on 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend', we have to pretend they're good

The only thing I know about them is that some Falun Gong members are involved with the Epoch Times, which runs coronavirus misinformation and far-right bollocks. However, I don't know how closely the paper and Falun Gong are linked.

Is this why they are bad, or are there other reasons?

Pink Gregory

That's the main reason, otherwise they'd be a fairly usual dissident group I suppose.

Also aren't they rumoured a bit at least a bit cult-like?

Alberon

Yeah, but then so is the CCP these days.

They're a bunch of wrong-uns opposing another bunch of wrong-uns. The real world is complicated and annoying.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Alberon on December 05, 2021, 09:33:53 AMYeah, but then so is the CCP these days.

They're a bunch of wrong-uns opposing another bunch of wrong-uns. The real world is complicated and annoying.

Bring back Cobra Commander. That was a bastard we could all fucking hate.

pigamus

Yeah, really impressed by the smug, presumptuous, know-it-all attitude towards Falun Gong here. You say you support more women in darts and then this

Buelligan

Quote from: Theremin on December 05, 2021, 08:16:34 AMI like the idea of going to this in a Mao-suit and scowling throughout

Quote from: Theremin on December 05, 2021, 08:17:14 AMArms crossed, brows furroughed, big bag of revels completely untouched

I like this.  But even more I like the idea of hate-dancing as a national thing.  Boris Johnson gallumphing internationally as a morris-fool hating at Macron.  Farage tripping his molly along the Fens for all the brown-skinned people of the world.  Trump and the Gang doing a great big malevolent line dance pointed at Mexico, hell, pointed anywhere they goddamn like. 

Even little Starmer in a cupboard, doing a tiny secret step or two in his handmade shoes on a picture of workers laughing, checking for cameras first, then slapping his own face.  Hard.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Kankurette on December 05, 2021, 01:49:38 AMIs the organ harvesting thing true? These guys had a stand in Market Street last time I was in town and they had all the usual organ harvesting stuff.
cor that's taking it a bit far. Buskers are bad enough

Janie Jones

You give me Falun Gong four in the morning.

Buelligan

Quote from: Janie Jones on December 05, 2021, 10:20:11 AMYou give me Falun Gong four in the morning.

You know what's creepy?  I just thought I'd listen to the song that inspired that song (below) and the ad that went with it was for the Chinese hate-dancing lot.  That is creepy.  Nothing is private any more, even our livers.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: pigamus on December 05, 2021, 09:54:18 AMYeah, really impressed by the smug, presumptuous, know-it-all attitude towards Falun Gong here. You say you support more women in darts and then this

And we wonder why more Falun Gong members don't post here.

mothman

Yes, they'd be far too centrist to ever really fit in.

Kankurette

Pearly Dewdrops is going to have a shitfit when they see this thread.

chveik

sadly he doesn't post here anymore.

it's hard to tell if the forced organ harvesting thing is more than a rumour frankly, other than it used to happen for prisoners on death row.

Pinball

I received this booklet too, and felt very worried for the lads. Criticising the CCP doesn't end well for many people. A few million Uighurs in concentration camps in China would no doubt agree.

Buelligan

Yeah.  Gotta hand it to the folks on LBC and the like, they criticise China on the hour, every hour, without the least sign of fear.  Only hope someone really shitty gets Iain Dale's small intestine.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: chabrol on December 05, 2021, 01:10:07 AMIt's very, very upfront in its anti-CCP ideology; there's a whole page or so explaining how this is about the China "the CCP doesn't want you to see", lines about the tyranny of communism

Imagine being "anti-CCP". The Chinese Communist Party are a swell bunch of lads with no blood on their hands.

Buelligan

Remind me, which are the good countries, the big good countries, run by all-round decent eggs, again.

Here's a wee bit from Novara on the subject - China/Barbados, China/genocide/media/climate change - https://youtu.be/bEW2DCeB8j8?t=2625

Mister Six

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 05, 2021, 08:53:33 AMThe only thing I know about them is that some Falun Gong members are involved with the Epoch Times, which runs coronavirus misinformation and far-right bollocks. However, I don't know how closely the paper and Falun Gong are linked.

Is this why they are bad, or are there other reasons?

The Epoch Times is like the Chinese media version of those Miami Cubans whose families fled Castro and are now psychopathically right-wing American politicians. "A particular form of 'Communism' hurt me, so now I'm going to become the exact opposite of a Communist - a Fox-addled, hypercapitalist, Trump-supporting, anti-science nujob."

I need to read up more on the Falun Gong, but I'm pretty sure they got the boot from China purely because they were a large enough, popular enough movement that the CPC got worried about them opposing their authority. Which is all the CPC really cares about, TBH - maintaining power internally and building Chinese power externally.

I have seen some Falun Gongers knocking around NYC parks, doing a sort of slow tai-chi sort of thing and looking a bit intense. It's usually a 60:40 Asian/white split, too. Which I'm sure is very cynically stage-managed.

chabrol

Quote from: Dusty Substance on December 05, 2021, 01:59:01 PMImagine being "anti-CCP". The Chinese Communist Party are a swell bunch of lads with no blood on their hands.

Just want to be clear that I'm not making any real judgement call about the material, just trying to report what's in it really. Not trying to defend the CCP at all. It's just a striking thing to receive through the post so many times. I received two separate copies of the booklet yesterday. Got five of them now! Nice little collection going.