Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:37:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

MacGruber [TV Series]

Started by Mobius, December 17, 2021, 12:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Series of the movie based on the SNL sketch. Entire season drops today on Peacock

TRAILER

I loved the movie, really silly stuff. Will Forte is fantastic in everything.

Anyone else a fan of MacGruber?

Small Man Big Horse

I really liked the movie too, and watched the first 15 minutes of the first episode last night, which isn't a criticism, I was just exhausted. It seemed more of the same but still pretty funny, and I definitely will watch more of it, though I have seen a few reviews that suggest the concept gets stretched pretty thinly towards the end.

Mobius

ignore this I was fucked. Barry please delete

Mobius

Ignore

Ant Farm Keyboard

Small Man Big Horse

I finished the first episode last night and it's a frustrating thing, one minute very funny, one minute quite annoying, while sometimes Forte's really great, and sometimes really irritating. I'll probably stick with it as long as it doesn't get any worse, but I'm not convinced I'll make it to the end.

dead-ced-dead

I wanted to like the movie, because I love Will Forte but I never really warmed to it. I should give the film another chance before watching the series.

Forte's so great in Last Man on Earth, Clone High and really moving in Nebraska.

veletision

I don't like Forte at all and groan when he pops up in stuff but I love the movie

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

He's not your forte?

I watched all of The Last Man on Earth recently (it seemed appropriate in the current situation). I thought it was ace, although I can certainly see why he might get on people's nerves.

Should I watch the film before checking this out?

McChesney Duntz

From what I can tell (having watched the first two episodes, albeit in a drunker/more exhausted state than might be optimal), the show very much carries on with the tone/feel of the film. Therefore you might want to check the film out first to see if that tone/feel does it for you - it's fair to say it's a tad divisive. However, if it's more being up on the plot that's your main issue, be advised that all the necessary backstory is presented (in extremely profane song form) by Maya Rudolph at the beginning of the first episode (which, incidentally, I have seen cited as the best thing in the whole series in two separate reviews, so make of that what you will). So, to answer your question, no, don't watch any of it, it'll give you worms.

Mobius

I agree that the 2 songs in the first episode were the best part, which I never want to say about a comedy.

I didn't mind episode 1, but not sure I could do an entire series

up_the_hampipe

Loved the MacGruber film so much. I've only seen the first ep of this and I got a few good laughs already. The completely unnecessary coarseness of his language just always gets me. I'm glad we got another stupid sex scene as well.

up_the_hampipe

The motorcycle bit in episode 3 had me hooting.

veletision

Finally got around to watching the first episode.

Enjoyed it a lot

BeardFaceMan

I was wondering if it was worth rewatching the film before starting this series, turned out there was no need after that fantastic opening song. Really enjoyed the first ep of this, very silly stuff. I like that Forte isn't afraid to go full-on with it and he somehow manages to get a great cast to agree to do some very silly things too, fair play to the lad.

up_the_hampipe

Worth mentioning that Will Forte is hosting SNL for the first time this week. He was always known on the show for his bizarre, absurd sketches usually tucked away at the end of the show. I hope this will be an episode full of those.

BeardFaceMan

This is quite fantastically vulgar and over-the-top with its language and violence, it's all very silly indeed. Just got to the part in episode 5 where MacGruber is yelling at Lawrence Fishburne to
Spoiler alert
cum on his face
[close]
, lovely stuff. Although I think I'm enjoying the show more by not watching more than 1 ep a day instead of binging the eps like usual.

BeardFaceMan

Thoroughly enjoyed that, so gruesome and sweary and unnecessarily graphic, lovely stuff. I haven't seen the film since it came out, I remember liking it well enough but not enough to rewatch it, was it as over-the-top as this or did the series step things up?

Ant Farm Keyboard

The film was basically as over the top as the TV show, but I felt that the TV show could have been a great 2 hr movie sequel with a few further rewrites, while they decided to pile up so-so sequences instead to reach eight episodes. There's for instance nothing that rivals the KFBR392 subplot from the original in its glorious lunacy.
The thing I loved the most in the TV show was MacGruber's hideout, the one where he kept the canister, with all the booby traps. The various throatrippings were also great.