Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,471
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:20:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The idea a virus is open to negotiation and bartering

Started by shoulders, December 18, 2021, 09:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoulders

I have frequently encountered this view:

https://twitter.com/Stu0099/status/1471927051158437888?t=e4IO__4CPIAzqRY20d2krw&s=19

QuoteEr No, No more restrictions and closing things down, I have had my 3 jabs the point of having them was to get my life back not to have more pointless restrictions placed on me, thought we were learning to live with this

People struggling to deal with the fact a frequently mutating virus can't be bargained with, that there aren't trade-off type rewards to be gained from good behaviour, that you don't get automatic freedom because 'I did my bit'.

You suck it up and keep sucking up what comes your way until the threat recedes. Fairness doesn't come into it.

Crenners

I agree with you, of course, but I also sympathise that for people who do as they're asked and who are told that 'x' will be the way out of the pandemic, they may feel frustrated and somewhat deceived.

It's a lack of understanding or even thought on their part, sure, but I don't think it's coming from the same place as, say, anti-vaxxers or some outcasts prioritising political principle over public health.

I suspect that a lot of people have less patience and much less fear at this point.

buttgammon

I know someone who's been at risk of going full-on tinfoil hat about covid for a while. I've overheard a few conversations in which he's openly deliberating about getting the booster. A few weeks ago, he got into an argument about it and said he and "most people" wouldn't get one because "we'd still close the pubs anyway"; now he's going to reluctantly get it "but only because I want to go to the pub when they change the vaccine passports" rather than wanting to protect himself and others. The degree of magical thinking is bizarre. Of course, a lot of this is a reaction against the fact that we were often naively told that vaccination would be the end of it, but it's such a weird way to approach a virus. Unwisely, the Irish government chose 'living with covid' as the name of their re-opening strategy, and this vague term has allowed people to redefine 'living' in some creative ways, often including a suspicious amount of death. Naturally, whenever the government announces any new restrictions, he'll ask "is this living? Aren't we supposed to live with it?"

The thing is, I've found dealing with the virus and restrictions a struggle at times too, but the thing that has ground me down most of all has been the unrealistic expectations and constant complaints and anger of other people.

jobotic

They won't like this then

QuotePlans are being formulated for a two-week "circuit breaker" lockdown in England after Christmas, although a final decision on new restrictions is yet to be taken, the Times reports.

The draft regulations would return England to similar restrictions as those seen in spring, with indoor mixing banned except for work purposes and pubs and restaurants limited to table service outdoors.

Schools and shops would remain open, but the "rule of six" would be reimposed for meetings with friends and family, weddings and funerals would be limited to 15 to 30 people, and the most-vulnerable would once again be advised to "shield".

According to the Times, some sources said planning was under way to recall parliament next week to debate the restrictions. They could prove politically difficult for the prime minister, after a rebellion by 100 of his MPs against the plan B restrictions, including Covid passes for public events, earlier this week

bgmnts

Someone should tell him the point of getting the jabs was not to get his life back.

Imagine having such a micro view of life and eveeything. I bet it's fucking bliss.

shoulders

Those restrictions are better than what we have but are not going to effectively dampen infections enough, given they weren't adequate against Delta anyway let alone Omicron during mid-winter.

A proper stay at home lockdown with a curfew between 29th-Dec-12th Jan would go some way towards resetting the situation.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

flotemysost

I was thinking about this the other day - well,  for some reason I was thinking about the bit in White Teeth where one of the characters is comparing the Christian idea of God to the Islamic concept, and they say (I'm paraphrasing obviously) that the Christian God is basically this bumbling old fool who's happy to go "oh well, can't say fairer than that" and overlook the odd transgression or two, as long as you fulfill all your other duties and confess your sins once in a while; whereas the Islamic God doesn't give a shit and can't be bargained with, if you've fucked up then He will know.

Anyway, I was thinking about how I've sort of been guilty of treating the virus like the Christian God of that story, at some points this year. Certainly with the vaccine, it's definitely had a bit of a symbolic meaning in terms of allowing myself certain freedoms that I'd held back from before - not to say I don't still exercise other cautions as well (for example, I didn't see my parents at all until I was double jabbed and they were too - but even then I've only seen them a handful of times, and I've still tested beforehand, kept distance, windows open etc.).

This fallacy has definitely been abused in very blatant ways of the last couple of years in terms of all the ridiculous ever-changing rules - to use an obvious example, ordering a Ploughman's alongside your pint was very clearly going to do fuck all to protect anyone from breathing in covid particles from someone sitting at the next table. And likewise with people who've elected not to get vaccinated, it might well be for noble, understandable reasons, but the virus doesn't give a shit whether you're a decent person or an antisemitic wingnut conspiracy loon, as long as you're a viable host.

I do think there's a value in allowing people some semblance of sanity - one of the things that really fucked me up mentally last year (and many others I'm sure) was the uncertainty, not know if I'd ever be able to safely see my family or friends or touch another human being or really enjoy anything again. And that uncertainty has been creeping back of late, had a bit of a cry about it all the other night. But ultimately that doesn't mean people deserve to be lied to or given a false sense of hope, which has been happening in spades.

I dunno what point I'm making really, but yeah the "can't say fairer than that" mentality has definitely been one of the biggest fuckups in how this whole thing has been handled - but on a personal level, it's also a very understandable human response to a confusing and frightening situation.

bgmnts

Quote from: flotemysost on December 18, 2021, 11:32:10 AMI was thinking about this the other day - well,  for some reason I was thinking about the bit in White Teeth where one of the characters is comparing the Christian idea of God to the Islamic concept, and they say (I'm paraphrasing obviously) that the Christian God is basically this bumbling old fool who's happy to go "oh well, can't say fairer than that" and overlook the odd transgression or two, as long as you fulfill all your other duties and confess your sins once in a while; whereas the Islamic God doesn't give a shit and can't be bargained with, if you've fucked up then He will know.

Well, new testament god.

OG god would unforgivingly smite you for the slightest discrepancies and nothing escapes his murderous gaze.

mothman

But human action has led to reduced infections in other nations, others have done their bit, and the results have been different.

chveik

genocidal maniacs are running the show, all the protections one take are for their own survival, because we will never return to normalcy.

Johnny Foreigner

I challenge any virus to make me change my way of life. A man has to have some principles; and mine is 'live free or die'.

I shall be happy to engage with this virus in a civilised debate.

flotemysost

One of my friends was pretty unwell with covid last winter (pre-vaccine) and for a while the only thing they could face eating was sweet and sour chicken balls, and during their isolation they kept WhatsApping me pictures of their dinners saying "I bet covid wants me to be eating healthily... well suck on this, ya cunt!" which amused me, the idea of rebelling against a virus by eating Chinese takeaway. (Friend is now fine, btw)

Nothing on this Earth will stop me exercising my God-given right to attend Mr. Mulligan's Indoor Miniature Golf.

stonkers

Quote from: bgmnts on December 18, 2021, 10:28:06 AMSomeone should tell him the point of getting the jabs was not to get his life back.

What's the point of them then?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: stonkers on December 22, 2021, 01:45:52 AMWhat's the point of them then?

To stop you dying/getting perilously ill if you get it and hopefully contribute to less community spread of the virus.

shoulders

Jesus

Yes it isn't a clearance pass to the VIP lounge

Cold Meat Platter

The title of this thread is the sort of thing that would come back to bite a grumpy visiting scientist/dignitary on the USS Enterprise in TNG so perhaps we should bear that in mind.