Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:44:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Northman (2022)

Started by Dusty Substance, December 20, 2021, 06:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Poster, images and the trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMSdFM12hOw) just dropped for The Northman, Robert Eggers' next movie following the excellent The Lighthouse.

Holy fucking shit it looks incredible.

He's one of the most unique film makers in the world right now and, going by the stacked cast (bjork's first film role for 20 years), big name actors are keen to work with him.

Calling it now - It'll be the best film of 2022.

mothman

Funnily enough I was pondering whether to add it to the "This'll be shit" thread! It just doesn't feel like a very good trailer. And, Conan the Barbarian with Vikings?

I was hoping for more of a weird, hyper-realistic period piece like The Witch, but I'm still excited to see this even though the trailer makes it look more like an action blockbuster. (There'd better not be a montage of the main character growing into a strapping man by pushing a mill wheel around in circles for twenty years.)

chveik

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

So this isn't a prequel to True Blood?

Dusty Substance

It might appear to be generic Viking action stuff, but knowing Bobby Eggs is behind the camera makes all the difference.

Twit 2

Hope it's not too generic and it has some of the insanity and humour of The Lighthouse.

Glebe

Just watched The Lighthouse recently, this is a bit of change of pace for him, isn't it? Looks quite striking. Willem Dafoe back, and nice to see him working with The VVitch's Anya Taylor-Joy again. Bjork is the icing on the cake! Filmed in Northern Ireland too. Looking forward to it.

Keebleman

Loved The Witch, haven't seen The Lighthouse yet but really looking forward to it.  Saw the trailer to this yesterday and was very underwhelmed.  Hoping it might be some sneaky misdirection by the marketing boys to sucker the multiplex hordes into thinking it's for them, as they did with The Witch.

Noodle Lizard

It's interesting to hear a filmmaker admit that "yeah, it didn't exactly come out as I'd hoped" before the film's even released! I also had no idea that this was a (comparatively) big budget production, I'd just assumed it was A24 again.

This makes me even more interested to see it. Even if it's a bit shite or a "sell out", at least it has the potential to fund a lot more of his ventures, and the failure of a partnership with The Big Lads often strengthens a good artists' resolve to do interesting things on their own.

Joe Qunt

Gulftastic

I hope to finally see what happened the time he WENT to Leeds.

Glebe

Inspector Norse

Trailer looked a bit suspect to me, but the first reviews coming in are very promising.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I bet one of the characters ends the film by doing some crazy laughing. It seems to be Eggers thing.

Glebe

Mister Six

Quote from: Twit 2 on December 21, 2021, 02:06:44 AMHope it's not too generic and it has some of the insanity and humour of The Lighthouse.

The VVitch had a dose bit of black humour (the shot of the felled dad got a nasty cackle out of me), so I'd expect the same here.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 11, 2022, 08:05:22 AMgood artists

I thought you said The VVitch was like a student film? What changed your mind on Egg(like a bird's egg)ers?

I'm going to see this on Friday so the trailer will be avoided. He's one of the few auteurs I can get inordinately excited about. Even if it's crap it's worth supporting as the next one might be good. Bit concerned about Nicole Kidman being involved but that might be unfair.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 12, 2022, 04:33:05 AMI thought you said The VVitch was like a student film? What changed your mind on Egg(like a bird's egg)ers?

I liked The Lighthouse well enough, and I like his use of language/dialects. I think he's got good ideas, though I don't think he's stuck the landing on one yet. The VVitch remains disappointing to me, but if I was aggrieved it'd be more down to the hype train than Eggers himself.

Fake Edit: yeah, this is what I said at the time, it still more or less sums up my thoughts on it:

QuoteSo look, it wasn't terrible, I liked a lot of the cinematography and music (arch as it was), and it's clearly something its makers really cared about, but definitely another example of a film being overhyped beyond all reason by critics.

This sort of thing has happened to me with a few of the A24 clan. For instance, I really didn't like It Follows, Hereditary or A Ghost Story, but I did like Under The Silver Lake, Midsommar and The Green Knight.

Mister Six

"Yes, father, I shall become a north!"

I was lukewarm on The Vuvitch. It certainly had a few high points, but, like much of the wankily named "elevated horror" genre*, it had a lot of quite frankly boring passages too. And, for all Egg's bragging about doing loads of research, there was nothing on screen that wasn't generically olde timey.

I had The Lighthouse bookmarked on Netflix, but it's naffed off there without warning. Why does that always seem to happen right when a film becomes most relevant?

*I thought Midsommar was a right swizz as well.

I love the witch. Witches are cool. The ending was fabulous.

Both Bjork and Anya Taylor Joy are playing witches in this new one. Witches!

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on April 12, 2022, 04:58:16 PMI love the witch. Witches are cool. The ending was fabulous.

Both Bjork and Anya Taylor Joy are playing witches in this new one. Witches!

Witches you say?

Glebe

Just watched The VVitch again recently ('tis on Netflix). The ending is mental. Well alright it's not quite mental but it's enjoyably bonkers.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Glebe on April 12, 2022, 06:37:07 PMJust watched The VVitch again recently ('tis on Netflix). The ending is mental. Well alright it's not quite mental but it's enjoyably bonkers.

An issue I had with some of that A24 "elevated horror" renaissance was that a bunch of the films basically had the same ending (certainly The VVitch, Hereditary and Midsommar do). The Lighthouse's ending is a bit more complicated, perhaps, but it didn't feel too far removed from that formula. I think there was a trend where an A24 darling would make a film that got instant praise, long before its general release, and the filmmaker was instantly commissioned to do another one, which accounts for the structural/thematic similarities (especially true of Hereditary/Midsommar), but I have hope that these filmmakers will do well with a bit more breathing room.

beanheadmcginty

Can anyone who has seen The Vvitch recently confirm whether it has any character audibly blowing off in it? The reason I ask is that the kid audibly blows off at one point in The Northman and pretty much the first thing we hear from Dafoe's character in The Lighthouse is an absolute ripper of a guff. I was hoping it was some sort of director's trademark, which is perfect for someone called Eggers.
Can't really think of any other non-comedy films that feature audible blowing off, so I think it's his trademark for the taking.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 12, 2022, 10:43:28 PMReally good New Yorker article.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/04/04/robert-eggerss-historical-visions-go-mainstream

Nothing to do with The Northman, but this bit stood out:

QuoteAlfonso Cuarón, the director of "Gravity" and "Roma," read Eggers's screenplay of "The Witch" in 2013, when the movie was still in development.

It's always the case with these "complete newcomer makes astonishing indie movie that takes world by storm" stories. How is Alfonso Cuarón reading your script and giving you feedback? I swear we only hear 10% of the these media success stories, with only tiny hints at the other 90%. Like how the Colorado nobodies Trey Parker and Matt Stone were making privately-commissioned videos for Universal Studios with Steven Spielberg, Ron Howard, Brian Grazer and a bunch of A-list actors a year or two before their "tiny little animation just happened to get noticed".