Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:03:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2022

Started by selectivememory, January 04, 2022, 12:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Oh my. It appears Felix played Rafa into some serious form.

selectivememory

Incredible win for Nadal, that. Dunno how he's still doing this shit at 36 with a gammy foot. Hopefully he's at least got enough left in the tank to keep Zverev from winning the whole thing.

Deanjam

Any time Djokovic loses is a great day. Pretty much guarantees Medvedev will be number one after Wimbledon, doesn't it? Ironic that banning Russian players has led to this.

selectivememory

Quote from: Deanjam on June 01, 2022, 12:46:07 AMPretty much guarantees Medvedev will be number one after Wimbledon, doesn't it?

I believe it'll be Zverev if he wins the title, which doesn't bear thinking about.

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on June 01, 2022, 12:56:29 AMI believe it'll be Zverev if he wins the title, which doesn't bear thinking about.

Oh yeah, forgot about him. Let's just hope Rafa does the business next round.

selectivememory

Cilic into the semis after obliterating Rublev in the final set tie break. Only the fifth active male player to have made the semis at all four slams. Pretty impressive achievement at this stage of his career.

rjd2

Yeah immense tie break although was worried he had thrown it away, so many unforced errors from him.

I don't want Zverev to win, and after that I don't mind, but Ruud does nothing for me sadly.

On the ladies side, hoping Iga and Gauff come through, the ladies tour is in desperate need of stars and while randoms popping up in the latter stages of a Slam is fun for us die hards, it's not what the tour needs to grow.

It needs rivalries desperately.

Menu

Always surprised at how one-sided the betting is in tennis. Is the Gauff/Trevisan match really so predictable? Especially at the French, where mad things happen all the time.

rjd2

Its not and Trevisan defeated her a few years ago here when she had her previous random run .

Gauff probably wins, but maybe worth a small bet on Martina if at least you are planning to cash out and lock in a profit at least?

I bet Zheng v Swiatek at 12/1 who had injury issues and Felix to beat Rafa (9/2) which hit the post and Sloane at 100/1 to win the event ( I think even she would be confused by that) ,,,so probably beat to ignore my advise!

Menu

Quote from: rjd2 on June 02, 2022, 04:53:54 AMIts not and Trevisan defeated her a few years ago here when she had her previous random run .

Gauff probably wins, but maybe worth a small bet on Martina if at least you are planning to cash out and lock in a profit at least?

I bet Zheng v Swiatek at 12/1 who had injury issues and Felix to beat Rafa (9/2) which hit the post and Sloane at 100/1 to win the event ( I think even she would be confused by that) ,,,so probably beat to ignore my advise!

Depending on the stake I think those are bets were understandable. Tennis can fuck with your brain though. Especially on the womens side - there's just such a depth of talent. Yeah, I'm going to put a middling bet on Trevisan. I'm yet to be convinced by Gauff. And the French Open does have a way of springboarding hitherto peripheral players into the limelight.

So Gauff 6/0 6/0 it is.

rjd2

Yep small stakes so not to upset at all. I think Iga was 1/4 after losing the 1st set, so wasn't really that appealing cash out at all sadly.

rjd2

Clinic from Iga, but Lordy how does someone with such a wretched serve reach a Grand Slam semi final without dropping a set?

Deanjam

That was a rubbish match from what I saw. Didn't help that Kasatkina basically gave up two thirds in.

selectivememory

Iga looked phenomenal today. Unplayable at her best right now. Though it is a horrible match-up for Kasatkina; if you look at their recent head-to-head, it's usually a similar result to today's.

Would definitely be satisfied with a Gauff-Swiatek final, so hopefully Coco can rise to the occasion today. And she's currently still on for the doubles title as well with Pegula.

rjd2

Very messy semi final this sadly, but at least seems to be some needle which is making it more interesting.

rjd2

This is some abysmal serving from Trevisan.

selectivememory

I'm generally against policing grunts, but I think I agree with Coco. You shouldn't be able to still hear your opponent's shrieking when you're trying to hit your shots.

rjd2

Quote from: selectivememory on June 02, 2022, 04:27:37 PMI'm generally against policing grunts, but I think I agree with Coco. You shouldn't be able to still hear your opponent's shrieking when you're trying to hit your shots.
Yep I think towards the end she was doing it to annoy Gauff anyway.

This is a really poor level of tennis, 37 unforced errors already, shame that Fernandez had injury issues because her v Coco would be much more fun.

selectivememory

Nice one Coco. Pretty clinical closing that match out. Hope she can make the final competitive, though I would like to see Iga win a slam before her streak ends.

Deanjam

Well done Coco, for the win, and this.

rjd2

Got better in the second set, but forgettable semi finals to say the least.

Randoms can be fun, but they generally flop in the semi finals sadly.

Hopefully its a good final , the ladies tour desperately needs rivalries.

Menu

Quote from: rjd2 on June 02, 2022, 04:37:42 PMYep I think towards the end she was doing it to annoy Gauff anyway.

This is a really poor level of tennis, 37 unforced errors already, shame that Fernandez had injury issues because her v Coco would be much more fun.

Oh wow. I should have done some basic research. Didn't realise that's why Fernandez lost. V disappointing from Trevisan.

selectivememory

Zverev outplayed Rafa for most of that first set, but couldn't close it out from 6-2 up in the tie break. Lol

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on June 03, 2022, 03:43:12 PMZverev outplayed Rafa for most of that first set, but couldn't close it out from 6-2 up in the tie break. Lol

And then instantly broken in the second. You've gotta laugh.

Brian Freeze

As a non follower of the tennis, can I ask why Zverev is so unpopular?

Deanjam

Quote from: Brian Freeze on June 03, 2022, 04:43:19 PMAs a non follower of the tennis, can I ask why Zverev is so unpopular?

Mostly his ex girlfriend saying he abused her. But his on court behaviour is at times awful. He has temper issues, getting kicked out of the Acapulco tournament for having a few whacks at the umpire's chair.

selectivememory

Quote from: Brian Freeze on June 03, 2022, 04:43:19 PMAs a non follower of the tennis, can I ask why Zverev is so unpopular?

Accused (very credibly) of some pretty serious and disturbing domestic abuse by an ex-girlfriend. Also generally comes across as a narcissistic and arrogant shit.

selectivememory

Quote from: Deanjam on June 03, 2022, 04:48:28 PMHe has temper issues, getting kicked out of the Acapulco tournament for having a few whacks at the umpire's chair.

Should have got a lengthy ban for that. Was screaming at the umpire as well and calling him a "fucking moron." But they never do like to punish the top players.

selectivememory

5-5 in this second set, and one hold of serve each. The difference in quality between this and the Djokovic match the other night is vast. Nadal might get away with having a stinker here just because of who he's playing.

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on June 03, 2022, 04:54:39 PMShould have got a lengthy ban for that. Was screaming at the umpire as well and calling him a "fucking moron." But they never do like to punish the top players.

It was definitely intimidation, but the ATP is pathetic.