Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:41:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Daily Covid deaths globally the lowest since October 2020

Started by shoulders, January 07, 2022, 08:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoulders

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

There it is. The last 3 humps have got progressively milder as each wave encounters slightly more immune resistance, overall trajectory is downwards unless there is a new breakthrough variant of a makeup that can get further into the respiratory system than Omicron and dodge our immune response.

JamesTC

Cuellar

So that's a nice thing for the daily covid deaths globally to be isn't it Andy

Kelvin

imitationleather

Uncle TechTip

Remember lockdowns, eh? D'you remember? When you had to queue outside Aldi's, and wait for t'green light to go in? What were all that about?

Glebe

I wonder about future strains but this is hopeful news (not to be crass about it people are still dying of course). Omicron cases are predicted to start decreasing coming into Spring so everything crossed folks.

Ferris

Yeah this is the last wave of it I reckon.

Maybe by summer we'll be back to orgies and doorknob-licking. Here's hoping.

mothman

Quote from: Crenners on January 07, 2022, 08:45:01 AMEbola-19 is comin
This really annoys me. The "19" comes from the year it was detected and diagnosed ffs. Soz Crenners, but still.

Consignia

Quote from: Ferris on January 07, 2022, 05:17:00 PMYeah this is the last wave of it I reckon.

Maybe by summer we'll be back to orgies and doorknob-licking. Here's hoping.

Never stopped around here. I've got the wet knobs to prove it.

bgmnts

Quote from: mothman on January 07, 2022, 05:30:08 PMThis really annoys me. The "19" comes from the year it was detected and diagnosed ffs. Soz Crenners, but still.

Hope they discover a disease called Catch this year.

Crenners

Quote from: mothman on January 07, 2022, 05:30:08 PMThis really annoys me. The "19" comes from the year it was detected and diagnosed ffs. Soz Crenners, but still.

That's part of what's so dumb about it, yeah. If people find it annoying, cheers, appreciate the feedback.

Dex Sawash

chveik

Quote from: Ferris on January 07, 2022, 05:17:00 PMYeah this is the last wave of it I reckon.

where's the evidence? the fact that Omicron is (relatively) mild doesn't mean there won't be any new variants in the future, in fact letting the virus roam free like that, without lockdown and waving of vaccine patents, is a great way to ensure there will be other waves. after two years of this shite i don't really see the point in being guided by articles of faith.

Old Thrashbarg

An interesting point that I'd not considered: https://twitter.com/fact_covid/status/1479861424646148103

Essentially, due to the very high level of infection currently, the daily death figures are probably less of an indicator of how many people are dying from Covid than they have been previously.

Quote4) This means that if no-one died from COVID at all, theoretically close to 75 daily deaths could still be reported in England, purely down to the huge infection rates.

As it is, the seven day average is 160. So it's possible almost half of the reported deaths are "incidental".

Ferris

Quote from: chveik on January 08, 2022, 09:52:54 PMwhere's the evidence? the fact that Omicron is (relatively) mild doesn't mean there won't be any new variants in the future, in fact letting the virus roam free like that, without lockdown and waving of vaccine patents, is a great way to ensure there will be other waves. after two years of this shite i don't really see the point in being guided by articles of faith.

I don't have a crystal ball, and obviously it won't disappear overnight (or realistically, ever). I meant this is the last wave that will have wide-reaching implications for Joe public. The lower lethality rate (and frankly unavoidable levels of transmissibility) have given everyone an "out" to close the book on the pandemic.

We can't stop this one spreading, and it doesn't seem to kill as many people (ignoring that many? most? of the susceptible people have been bumped off already) plus vaccines are deployed (in the west anyway) so let 'er rip and let's hope we get some manner of normality by summer seems to be the plan. There isn't the political (or societal) will to do anything more, and hasn't been for some time.

A worse variant may turn up, eventually, and be treated like a really bad flu season but we won't see the same kind of widespread lockdowns and restrictions because vaccines, treatments and herd immunity will be improving all the time. It'll be "get your covid booster this year because it's a bad wave" but daily numbers on every front page will largely be a thing of the past.

This is the last wave for "covid" as a major public talking point. Maybe I'm wrong (I mean, who the fuck am I?) but I think people are looking for any reason to return to normal and this wave is the one everyone is collectively latching onto and there's no stopping that kind of collective momentum once it gets going.

shoulders

We don't know what's around the corner but then you could have also said that before Covid.

There's reason to be guardedly optimistic here. Deaths have continued to decline over the long term since their high in Winter 2020-1. Vaccines work very well weakening the link between infection, serious illness and death. We are in better position when a new variant emerges (and it will be when) both in terms of creating a vaccine but also scaling up to meet that challenge. Like other infections we also gain an immune response which helps fight the next one.

I think the next few winters will still be tough and I'll be in the queue for the jab, wearing masks, keeping good hand hygiene and generally trying not to cough into old ladies faces.

Ferris

Quote from: shoulders on January 08, 2022, 10:54:11 PMWe don't know what's around the corner but then you could have also said that before Covid.

There's reason to be guardedly optimistic here. Deaths have continued to decline over the long term since their high in Winter 2020-1. Vaccines work very well weakening the link between infection, serious illness and death. We are in better position when a new variant emerges (and it will be when) both in terms of creating a vaccine but also scaling up to meet that challenge. Like other infections we also gain an immune response which helps fight the next one.

I think the next few winters will still be tough and I'll be in the queue for the jab, wearing masks, keeping good hand hygiene and generally trying not to cough into old ladies faces.

A good take from the boy Shoulders.

DrGreggles

Quote from: shoulders on January 08, 2022, 10:54:11 PMI think the next few winters will still be tough and I'll be in the queue for the jab, wearing masks, keeping good hand hygiene and generally trying not to cough into old ladies faces.

Yep, sign me up for more jabs, masks and hand hygiene.
I'll not make any guarantee about not coughing in old ladies' faces though as, pandemic or no pandemic, I'm still a massive cunt.

mothman

If we can't cough in old ladies' faces, then the virus has already won.

imitationleather

It's not the ebola that's gonna kill us, it's gonna be the bird flu!

H-O-W-L

greenman

Quote from: Ferris on January 08, 2022, 10:39:17 PMI don't have a crystal ball, and obviously it won't disappear overnight (or realistically, ever). I meant this is the last wave that will have wide-reaching implications for Joe public. The lower lethality rate (and frankly unavoidable levels of transmissibility) have given everyone an "out" to close the book on the pandemic.

We can't stop this one spreading, and it doesn't seem to kill as many people (ignoring that many? most? of the susceptible people have been bumped off already) plus vaccines are deployed (in the west anyway) so let 'er rip and let's hope we get some manner of normality by summer seems to be the plan. There isn't the political (or societal) will to do anything more, and hasn't been for some time.

A worse variant may turn up, eventually, and be treated like a really bad flu season but we won't see the same kind of widespread lockdowns and restrictions because vaccines, treatments and herd immunity will be improving all the time. It'll be "get your covid booster this year because it's a bad wave" but daily numbers on every front page will largely be a thing of the past.

This is the last wave for "covid" as a major public talking point. Maybe I'm wrong (I mean, who the fuck am I?) but I think people are looking for any reason to return to normal and this wave is the one everyone is collectively latching onto and there's no stopping that kind of collective momentum once it gets going.

The level of lockdown needed to totally stop it anyway does seem like it would be beyond what we've seen previously in the west, I think its moreso is it sensible to let it run loose to the degree we are rather than say trying to limit it to half of a third the number of cases currently. The difference between whats likely to be a big peak lasting a few weeks against one somewhat smaller lasting several months.

I'm guessing the hope after that were will be such a large amount of immunity via infection that it will never have another spread as strong, the virus will keep spreading but at a lower level with re exposue topping up overall immunity as it declines and with less serious illness.

steveh

While the early data and research showing less lung damage is hopeful, the damage to other organs by Omicron is not really quantified yet and there could be long term effects on people's health that we won't find out about for some years.

Milo

There's some indications of it triggering type 1 diabetes in kids so there's that.

Crenners

They'll just have to live with it now. You can get insulin.

Milo

Well yes, they can learn to live with it but they do also sometimes die from it. Plus insulin injections aren't mega-cheap for something that's used forever.

Although whether it's a real effect or statistical anomaly remains to be determined.

Crenners

Sorry, I often post in the voice of idiots to mock them.