Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:01:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Masked Singer

Started by Jasha, January 08, 2022, 07:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasha

I can't be the only one shurely

Early money on Timmy Mallet and James Blunt

JesusAndYourBush

How could Doughnuts not be one of the bottom 2? Sometimes I really despair at the Great British Public.

mothman

It's because he's Legend Pastry. And identifiably male - there seems to be this odd thing going on right now where women get voted out first in ITV things. First I'm A Celeb saw five out of six of the women on the show goi out in the first half of votings out, and last week on Masked Singer nearly all the losing singers in the first rounds were too. It's probably just a coincidence, but it's a weird one!

And Rockhopper is Jodie Whitaker.

Blinder Data

I love this nonsense. Horrendous amount of adverts though.

Doughnuts is Michael Owen and has to leave next time. I can't belive Gloria Hunniford got beat by the world's most boring man. Traffic Cone is similarly dull.

Robobunny is the most interesting. No idea who that could be. I though Will Young did a very good job of hiding his identity and even gender as Lionfish - kept me guessing till the very end.

Quote from: mothman on January 08, 2022, 09:55:10 PMIt's because he's Legend Pastry. And identifiably male - there seems to be this odd thing going on right now where women get voted out first in ITV things. First I'm A Celeb saw five out of six of the women on the show goi out in the first half of votings out, and last week on Masked Singer nearly all the losing singers in the first rounds were too. It's probably just a coincidence, but it's a weird one!

And Rockhopper is Jodie Whitaker.

My wife says the women are being voted out first because as a society we are not used to women making themselves look ridiculous, unlike men. Makes you think! One of the talented female singers will probably win it like before at least. Also, when would Whittaker have found the time to do it? Doctor Who is a full-on job.

By the way, I recommend to everyone looking at the dancers during the songs instead of the singers. Some amazingly camp costumes and choreography performed by people having the best time. Lovely stuff.

JesusAndYourBush

If Doughnuts isn't booted today I'll be livid.  Cunt couldn't hold a note in a bucket.

Robobunny is Mark from Westlife. Donuts is obviously Owen. The others are harder to guess.

Jasha

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 21, 2022, 02:40:39 PMBy the way, I recommend to everyone looking at the dancers during the songs instead of the singers. Some amazingly camp costumes and choreography performed by people having the best time. Lovely stuff.

"Mum you know you thought my career as a dancer was stupid and I should get a proper job, well tonight I make my debut on primetime ITV... that's me dressed as a giant cookie"

Robobunny Taio Cruz

Doughnuts seems like Owen but would be a laugh if it wasn't

Traffic Cone James Blunt

Panda Timmy Mallet

Firework one of those Got Talent forgetables

Poodle Brian May

Mushroom no clue

Rockhopper even less of a clue

mothman

So Poodle turned out to be CaB favourite Tom Chaplin, lead singer of Keane.

JesusAndYourBush

mothman

Ooh now interesting - that thought briefly popped into my head tonight.

amateur

One of these pricks is Rob Brydon and another of them is, somewhat implausibly, Miley Cyrus.

Also one is Bob Mortimer.

JesusAndYourBush

There was one I thought was Eddie Izzard from the clues and the disguised voice, but when he sang he had a deep operatic voice and I thought no way is it him.

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 21, 2022, 02:40:39 PMAlso, when would Whittaker have found the time to do it? Doctor Who is a full-on job.

It's over three months since she finished filming her last DW episode, so I guess the question of whether it might be her would depend on when this was recorded.

Jockice

Quote from: mothman on January 22, 2022, 08:25:42 PMSo Poodle turned out to be CaB favourite Tom Chaplin, lead singer of Keane.

I'd totally ignored this show until last night until I just happened to turn the telly on during the last few minutes. Got to admit I laughed out loud when I realised who it was. I mean, weren't Keane once quite credible and thought of as serious musicians?

For what it's worth, I now think Rockhopper is Bob Dylan, Traffic Cone is Laura Marling, Doughnuts is Prince Andrew and Panda is the ghost of Mark E Smith.

Hat FM

someone on an sfa page i follow said that the clues point towards one of them being Gruff Rhys (course it isnt). i would love to see Rita Ora's mock surprise at pretending she knew who Gruff Rhys was.
Is it just me or was Tom Chaplin unrecognisable? he used to have a really big face.

Norton Canes

amateur

Quote from: Hat FM on January 26, 2022, 08:38:30 AMIs it just me or was Tom Chaplin unrecognisable? he used to have a really big face.

Think he slimmed down when he got off the gak a few years ago.

Hat FM

Quote from: amateur on January 26, 2022, 10:19:27 AMThink he slimmed down when he got off the gak a few years ago.

wasn't he famously in the Priory for an addiction to port?

amateur

Quote from: Hat FM on January 26, 2022, 12:47:00 PMwasn't he famously in the Priory for an addiction to port?

Fair play it's delicious.

Hat FM

Quote from: amateur on January 26, 2022, 01:29:46 PMFair play it's delicious.

Hope he didnt try it with Blue WKD. i was into that for a bit at uni and could well have ended up sitting next to him at the Priory. google tells me he was in there for drugs also but i reckon it was mainly port.

mothman

For those who aren't born yet around back then, the news that he'd checked into the Priory caused much mirth here at the time, and led one teenage girl, presumably Googling frantically for news of her idol, to create an account here to tell us all off. Hilarity ensued.

bomb_dog

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 26, 2022, 10:08:25 AMThose costumes get sweaty

Ha does anyone think the actual person is in the costume at any time before their actual reveal?

The live shows in arenas would pretty much involve singing a bit offstage then coming on at the end and waving. Easy money. No-one's ever guess it was me though.

mothman

I've never really thought about it but I have wondered how they're able to sing clearly and unmuffled inside the costumes.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: mothman on January 26, 2022, 09:37:22 PMclearly and unmuffled

Because the microphone is inside the costume too (the one they're holding is just a prop.)

mothman

Yes I know, but even within the confines?

JesusAndYourBush

They're hardly squashed in, those costumes are usually huge, big enough for them to have drinks and snacks inside even.

Jasha

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 22, 2022, 08:57:40 PMMichaela Strachan

Thought she might be Panda. Mushroom seemed like a pro singer, Charlotte Church is a name I've seen mentioned a few times.

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 27, 2022, 12:08:34 AMThey're hardly squashed in, those costumes are usually huge, big enough for them to have drinks and snacks inside even.

What happens if they need the loo? Is it like a motorway trip as kids with mum demanding you try for a toilet even if you don't need one?

beanheadmcginty

It'd be fun if one of them turned out to be Bryan Singer.

Maybe it's because I don't watch a lot of big light ent TV shows anymore, but every time I see clips of things like this, it's like a glimpse into some utterly demented hyper-reality that has leaked into ours, Indigo Prime style.

It's like everyone on it - judges, audience, performers - is acting out the roles of characters in a dramatised recreation of a gameshow like something out of an absurd dystopian satire. As if not a single second of it has not been scripted, rehearsed and choreographed to the minutest degree. Watching it for any length of time leaves me feeling incredibly strange and alienated.

mothman

^ In its early days it had this shock of the new that allowed you to gloss over those feelings, but yeah, increasingly it's starting to feel contrived.

I went along to a taping of Robot Wars and a lot of the audience reaction was taped first, so I can imagine them doing that for the chants of "take it off!" and also getting the judges to shout "who are you?" in a half-dozen different ways.

Surprised there haven't been any disgruntled ex-employees blowing the whistle on some of the production secrets yet. Like from second series on, when Dommett has had to admit the Star isn't always the one in the costume in the filmed intro links. What bomb_dog said about the Star not being in the costume at all until their eventual unmasking does sound very plausible.