Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:17:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Grand Old Nonce of York: Andy's trial is GO

Started by touchingcloth, January 12, 2022, 02:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

She has presumably turned down several settlement offers throughout this process, so it would be unusual to go through that just to accept a later (albeit likely much larger) settlement offer so my assumption is she wants to see it through.

Hope so anyway. Would a guilty verdict prompt the Met to investigate? No, obviously, but still.

touchingcloth

Be great if it turns out her request to reach a settlement is 5 drops of ducal sweat.

steve98

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 12, 2022, 06:37:26 PMThere is, of course, the possiblity that Guiffre wants her day in court.

Some day her Prince will come.

Alberon

jobotic

jobotic

He's only fucked if his mum dies before the trial verdict.

Dr Rock

Your Honour, I simply couldn't have had sex with Ms Giraffe because on the dates in question I simply didn't have a penis. You see I'd picked up this rare disease whilst touring the commonwealth or something, and my penis simply fell off. I carried on without it for years, until it finally grew back last week. Can I go home now?

mothman

It just beggars belief that he'd try the Pizza Express alibi with not one shred of evidence offered as corroboration. Unless he's saving it for the trial.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 12, 2022, 02:59:26 PMb) have his day in court

This will not happen. Is it even possible to get a royal into court? I mean a directly related to the queen royal? Has that ever even happened?

The choices are

a) Pay her off
b) Jet him off to some non extradition country and wait it out

If she won't take a settlement which is hard to judge because nearly everyone has a price and the royals have a fair few bob, but if she won't settle and go away then Andy will go away. It would be embarrassing for the royals but I can't see Andy in court because that would be even more embarrassing with the added threat of some sort of conviction.

Having said all that, the cynic in me wouldn't be surprised if it never even gets that far and the establishment makes it go away somehow. They'll find a way I'm sure. If Jimmy Savile can die scot free surely the queen's son will be sorted out.

Nod's as good as a wink to a blind bishop.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

What if he's found guilty but they sentence the queen to death instead, she'll hit the roof!

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 12, 2022, 08:40:52 PMThis will not happen. Is it even possible to get a royal into court? I mean a directly related to the queen royal? Has that ever even happened?

Yes, when we cut one of their heads off.

QuoteThe choices are

a) Pay her off
b) Jet him off to some non extradition country and wait it out

Yes b) likely - I imagine turn of poor mental health from all of the stress and a retiring from public life.

QuoteIt would be embarrassing for the royals but I can't see Andy in court because that would be even more embarrassing with the added threat of some sort of conviction.

It is a civil court so its liability for compensation he won't get a criminal conviction - so yes I imagine she will be made an offer that greatly outweighs any damages that could be awarded and most likely will take it.  I suppose people could crowdfund her to pursue the actual case.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 12, 2022, 06:46:04 PMAndy offers £10,000,000 to settle

It will be in the tens of millions. It's so high profile and the defendant's family have deep pockets. The interesting thing for me is does she have the resolve to refuse ever bigger piles of cash? Her own team, husband and family might be pressuring her to take the deal because it would be life changing money, set up her kids college funds etc etc.

On the other hand she's been hunting Andy down like a dog for years now. It seems she's almost single handedly kept the pressure on Andy, doing interviews, filing lawsuits, keeping this on the agenda and drawing attention to it. Did she do all that just for a bonanza pay off that would change her life forever? Or does she want to go all the way and get that piece of shit in the dock to answer for his crimes?

It's fascinating from her side and hilarious from the royal family side. The dream scenario is she refuses any settlement and Andy gets a summons. The problem with that is the royal family have helicopters, loads of money and possibly influence and sympathy in the establishment.

Andy will be a tricky target to get into court.

Dr Rock

Quote from: mothman on January 12, 2022, 08:37:08 PMIt just beggars belief that he'd try the Pizza Express alibi with not one shred of evidence offered as corroboration. Unless he's saving it for the trial.

Your Honour I had plenty of evidence placing me at Woking Pizza Hut on the day in question. Photos, witness testimony, drone footage, yet by chance I angered a wizard and he magicked all memory of that day from existence, like in that new Spider-Man film. These things happen.

touchingcloth

It would be incredibly convenient to the royal family if Andy had a little accident in his Land Rover and all the evidence was scoffed by corgis.

steve98

"Anhydrosis", they call it: the inability to sweat... you see Emily  (I've never spoken of this before)... When I was at Gordonstoun aged 8, Mummy came to visit, She inspected our dormitory and - for no reason - some of the rough boys started chanting "Sweaty Betty, Sweaty Betty", at Her. Some oafish ditty. I was mortified. Mortified, deeply hurt and indeed traumatized... I'm sorry, can we stop for a moment?

dissolute ocelot

He doesn't actually have to go to the trial. The most likely outcome is he'll become an international pariah who can never leave the UK in case he's arrested or his assets are seized. This would not be a good outcome for the people of Britain.

Alberon

I'm sure Kirstie Wark managed a right verbal clanger at the start of Newsnight just now. At the start she trailed the Boris Johnson story and then I'm sure she said something along the lines of the 'sexual assault charges against Prince Charles'.

Ferris

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 12, 2022, 09:11:03 PMIt will be in the tens of millions. It's so high profile and the defendant's family have deep pockets. The interesting thing for me is does she have the resolve to refuse ever bigger piles of cash? Her own team, husband and family might be pressuring her to take the deal because it would be life changing money, set up her kids college funds etc etc.

On the other hand she's been hunting Andy down like a dog for years now. It seems she's almost single handedly kept the pressure on Andy, doing interviews, filing lawsuits, keeping this on the agenda and drawing attention to it. Did she do all that just for a bonanza pay off that would change her life forever? Or does she want to go all the way and get that piece of shit in the dock to answer for his crimes?

It's fascinating from her side and hilarious from the royal family side. The dream scenario is she refuses any settlement and Andy gets a summons. The problem with that is the royal family have helicopters, loads of money and possibly influence and sympathy in the establishment.

Andy will be a tricky target to get into court.

It isn't either/or though. If she goes through court and Andy's watertight defence of sweatless pizza express falls through, she wins the case and gets a payday anyway.

I don't think she's in it for the money though, because she would have taken a settlement quietly and the whole thing would be over already if she was. I hope she sticks it to him and he has to go under oath and talk about how he can't sweat and his enjoyable afternoon in Woking (that nobody else has any recollection of).

I also doubt he'll be whisked off to Belize as a fugitive from justice. It's a civil court - worst, worst case for The Firm is he's found guilty and his mum pays out lots of taxpayer money but he's not going to prison for it and the public seem determined to keep funding them every year so there will be more cash in the coffers soon. Having him unable to leave the UK or on the lam in Malawi makes him look just as guilty so it's exactly the same PR disaster, except it goes on for much longer because it hangs over him (and the rest of them by extension) rather than the (hypothetical) "over and done with" guilty verdict.

bgmnts

Not only are we paying tax to support regal scroungers, but NONCE scroungers! Arent they the two groups of people Joe public hates the most?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on January 12, 2022, 09:04:57 PMWhat if he's found guilty but they sentence the queen to death instead, she'll hit the roof!
she's 95, she'll be delighted

gib

Quote from: Ferris on January 12, 2022, 11:12:10 PMI don't think she's in it for the money though, because she would have taken a settlement quietly and the whole thing would be over already if she was.

i have no idea if she's in it for the money but i imagine she could write an international bestseller that would be worth a few bucks

Quote from: Ferris on January 12, 2022, 11:12:10 PMI also doubt he'll be whisked off to Belize as a fugitive from justice. It's a civil court - worst, worst case for The Firm is he's found guilty and his mum pays out lots of taxpayer money but he's not going to prison for it and the public seem determined to keep funding them every year so there will be more cash in the coffers soon. Having him unable to leave the UK or on the lam in Malawi makes him look just as guilty so it's exactly the same PR disaster, except it goes on for much longer because it hangs over him (and the rest of them by extension) rather than the (hypothetical) "over and done with" guilty verdict.

It's not a case of being found guilty or not guilty as it's a civil case leading to an award of damages rather than a criminal case brought by the state. The standard of proof required is less than a criminal case though - she only needs to establish that it's more likely than not that he did what she alleges, rather than proved beyond reasonable doubt.

There was a case in Scotland a few years ago where rape charges were dropped against a footballer, but his victim was successful in a civil case against him because the standard of proof is lower. The principle is similar here.

I haven't really read up on the Giuffre case in great detail, but AFAIK it's based on similar principles of harm being caused by one person to another as you might have in, say, a personal injury action, except that the actions being alleged of our beloved prince are deliberate ones rather than negligent/reckless ones. Also, they are actions that also happen (if the state thinks it can meet the evidential standard to prove it) to be criminal offences.

bgmnts

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on January 12, 2022, 11:57:22 PMThere was a case in Scotland a few years ago where rape charges were dropped against a footballer, but his victim was successful in a civil case against him because the standard of proof is lower. The principle is similar here.

Not 100% but didnt this same thing happen with OJ?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Whatever happens the press will paint her as a money-grubbing liar out to slander Andy's good name etc.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: imitationleather on January 12, 2022, 03:05:57 PMQueen dies then Andrew gets Diana'd.

Who's going to order the hit if the queen's dead? I don't think you've thought this through.

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on January 12, 2022, 11:59:00 PMNot 100% but didnt this same thing happen with OJ?

Yeah it did - it's how the family took ownership of his "If I Did It" book and were able to change the title page to obscure the "if" (either by colour or making it really small) so they could print his face with "I Did It" written underneath.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 13, 2022, 12:18:13 AMWho's going to order the hit if the queen's dead? I don't think you've thought this through.

Ehhh... Prince Phillip obvs rofl.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 13, 2022, 12:13:37 AMWhatever happens the press will paint her as a money-grubbing liar out to slander Andy's good name etc.

I don't think the press is going to risk defending Andrew when it's obvious
(Removed -BAdmin)