Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:05:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

4 day week

Started by Mr_Simnock, January 17, 2022, 02:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Simnock

touchingcloth

Since early in the pandemic I've been working 9-6 rather than 10-6, and taking every other more Monday off in lieu of my former commute where I would usually have checked emails anyway.

Butchers Blind

I work 4 days a week, I'm in 5 but...

Captain Z

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 17, 2022, 02:46:17 PMSince early in the pandemic I've been working 9-6 rather than 10-6, and taking every other more Monday off in lieu of my former commute where I would usually have checked emails anyway.

Working 9-6
Taking every other Monday
No more long commutes
Where I'd check my emails anyway

shoulders

Endicott

A colleague just spent 6 months negotiating a 4 day week, but he had to take the corresponding pay cut. He told me he preferred the extra day to the money. Apparently he's allowed to ask for it because he's been here over 20 years.

Ham Bap

Ive been working a 9 day fortnight for about 10 years. Work my 75 hours across those 9 days.
My normal working week is 37.5 hours a week so no cut in pay.

Its fantastic. I live for that long weekend every 2nd week. 
Also helps ive mainly been working from home as its far easier to work longer hours and build up the hours.

It helps me save a lot of annual leave as I know im getting my 20+ extra days off a year, and e.g. during the summer/Christmas etc. if im taking a week off its only costs me 4 annual leave days + my Condensed day.

robhug

And what would you all do with your extra day off? You'd just check your emails anyway.

Crenners

I would rather work five days but do 20% less each day.

dissolute ocelot

4 day week is nice in theory but I'm not sure I could stay awake any longer per day than I currently do.

9 day fortnight would be ok. Or just flexitime that actually is flexible, lets you accrue days off, and doesn't just mean you can vary your working day an hour either way. Sadly my work is very keen on daily meetings, even on Fridays.

Fr.Bigley

Best to just be on the dole really. More time for watching loose women.

Pranet

I've worked a 4 day week for years. That was the job available when I applied for it.

I am dirt poor (I could make more effort to work overtime) but I dread losing the job and having to get a full time one or the job changing hours to full time. I'm really used to only working 4 days, working 5 days seems barbaric to me. Eg from tomorrow I am working 4 days in a row and that seems appalling to me.

Glebe

Beatles songs on a budget.

katzenjammer

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 17, 2022, 05:48:32 PM4 day week is nice in theory but I'm not sure I could stay awake any longer per day than I currently do.

Although it's not explicitly stated the concept of a four day week does not normally mean you work the same number of hours as you usually do in five days

QuoteSome 30 British companies are expected to take part in the pilot, which will see no loss in pay for employees working one fewer day a week.

Instead they will be asked to maintain 100% productivity for 80% of their time.

peanutbutter

I've a 4 day week job I'm interviewing for atm, seems like it's still a 36 hour week so I'm half wondering whether I shouuld just stick in my current job and stop working on Fridays without telling my employer.

Would be stunned if I wasn't more productive with a 4 day week, it'd be nice to have a day off that was purely for resting.

the Fallen

I can do this but I have to put a request in writing to the managing director and they say it will have zero impact on how I am viewed, though since the four day week I want is "no Fridays", I'm afraid they might tipple I'm an alcoholic druggy, so instead I'm continuing to book off as many Fridays as possible with my holiday allowance

I once booked off a Monday morning, and the jokes were actually near the reality.

They are brilliant though. Thursday, you knock off in full YESSSS mode.

Monday you stagger through thinking "only three more days after this"

Sunday seems like a boon from heaven itself, as you're so fucking conditioned to only two days off you go mad from the feeling of freedom, and you end up doing mad unworkable projects you'll never actually finish like learning to paint or tidying your bedroom or going on dates

I've got THIS friday off in fact. No cunt even expects different now

Aaron500

This is the problem though, most people see 4 day week and think "cool, I'll take every Friday off or every Monday off"

But then the bosses say "LOL no you daft cunt, you can take Tuesday or Wednesday off, Mondays and Fridays are busy"

the Fallen

I've experimented with a couple of Wednesdays off. Not really convinced but it is nice to break the week up.

Taking off Thursdays is clearly mad. Just popping in for that Friday, you'd be. Because you miss work.

The thing with requesting this for real, rather than just having a lot of holidays because I never take time off and doing it it by choosing days according to my Vice horoscope, is I might be asked to provide some justification.

I suppose there has to be an underlying reason? It's not like I want to do salsa classes that only run on Mondays. But there isn't.

I basically want flexitime - my end game is work whatever mad hours I want as long as they're in sufficient quantity for all. Bad bosses would freak imagining all kinds of weirdo midnight scenarios, but give me utter freedom and you'll find most of my work would be during business hours anyway

If I tried to make it formal though I reckon I'd need to nominate a day off. Maybe not? "I'd like a four day week, but it'll be a random day off each week because I seek to embrace chaos".

Yeah. Flexitime dreaming. Where none of this actually matters because the work gets done. Posting about work at 5am, I'm clearly ready.

IsavedLatin

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 17, 2022, 05:48:32 PM4 day week is nice in theory but I'm not sure I could stay awake any longer per day than I currently do.

9 day fortnight would be ok. Or just flexitime that actually is flexible, lets you accrue days off, and doesn't just mean you can vary your working day an hour either way. Sadly my work is very keen on daily meetings, even on Fridays.

A colleague returning from parental leave recently came back on a 9-day fortnight arrangement, and my head was very much turned by the idea of that 3-day weekend on a regular basis. (There is no chance of a 4-day week in my current role, the 9-day fortnight is the best I could hope for.) I find something about it off-putting: 9 to 5.30 can be a long enough slog some days ... even though I regularly work much longer days than that. I think I'd deeply resent that 5.30 to 6.30 slot, if it become utterly mandatory rather than "I'm just finishing off some work so it's done and not hanging over my head tomorrow".

I think true flexitime is the goal for me, too, but seems like a total pipe dream in my current place.

shoulders

Would absolutely love to do a 4 day week.

Fuck sake, why don't I just ask about it?

Would have to choose Monday though as my manager is part time and always has Friday off. Bah.

Would totally hammer out an 8-6.30 for the benefit of 3 days off.