Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:27:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tubi - My god, it's full of shit

Started by Sonny_Jim, January 19, 2022, 07:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny_Jim

Started watching stuff on Tubi after hearing it mentioned on the 'No such thing as a bad movie' podcast and it's like rifling through the bargain VHS bin at a Blockbusters closing down sale.

Plus points are that it's completely free (with ads) and you don't even need to sign up to watch stuff.  The downside is that almost everything on there is utter garbage.  There's the odd feature film you've probably heard of on there, alongside some shitty-movie classics such as:

Love on a leash
Fight of Fury
Raiders of Atlantis
Lycan Colony

There's also heaps of MST3K and Cinematic Titanic.  Heaps of Redlettermedia 'Best Of the Worst' videos as well. 

I love it, it's shit.  Any recommendations from fellow Tubi watchers?

George White

Oh god, it's gold.

Damon Packard's Reflections of Evil (2002) - quite indescribable  2 and a half hour TV movie that begins like a Peter Serafinowicz sketch (dubbed footage of Tony Curtis hosting a public domain Poundland DVD of Charles Bronson's Chino with every reference to Bronson dubbed to Packard)

Neon City (1991) - Michael Ironside and Vanity in Canadian post-apocalyptic western.

Oblivion (1994) - Charles Band-produced space western shot in Romania, with Julie Newmar as the madam, George Takei as the sheriff, Carel Struycken (Lurch in the Addams Family films, Giant in Twin Peaks) as the undertaker and some funky stop-motion.

The two Female Prisoner Scorpion films on there are genuine recommendations, as are THe Battles Without Honor and Humanity films.

The White Buffalo (1977) - Bronson as Wild Bill Hickock and Will Sampson as Crazy Horse team up to stop  a giant mystical Indian ghost-cow. With a real cast of western faces - Jack Warden, Slim Pickens, Clint Walker, Stuart Whitman (as a man named Winifred), being a horror film as a western, it has John Carradine (who seemed to be every film of either genre for decades).

From Damon Packard - Foxfur - an hour-long sci-fi thriller set in LA featuring David Icke (played by some American exploitation veteran, Rigg Kennedy doing a half-hearted accent) as a central character.

Dangerous Men (2000) - Baffling erotic revenge thriller that took about twenty years to make. Made by JOhn S. Rad, an Iranian exile, it's one of a whole subgenre of films made by Iranian exiles like Amir Shervan and Tony Zarindast in Hollywood that try to be Hollywood (albeit low-rent) productions, but never really feel American.

Shervan's catalogue is also on there - Hollywood Cop, Samurai Cop, Killing American Style, Gypsy, Young Rebels...

Also, Alf's Button Afloat is on there, which is a proper recommendation for British comedy fans.

If you want half-baked vanity project/Woody Allen pastiche the catalogue of henry Jaglom films.

Sebastian Cobb

I watched a mumblecore film on there called Loves Her Gun, it was ok.

Have they reopened it to Europe then? When I used it they said coming soon as they appeared to for years and I had to bugger around with a vpn.

Sonny_Jim

Just realised that I neglected to mention any TV shows I've watched on it and put this thread in Picture Box.  Whoopsy.

Dangerous Men is great, but even with a primer on the plot it's still pretty incomprehensible, or rather the decisions the characters take don't make any sense at all.

I did find 'Gary Busey - Pet Judge' on Prime and I couldn't make it through a whole episode.

Sebastian Cobb

Lol the last one is pure Alan's Dictaphone

George White

TUbi has a lot of ITC stuff.
Theyalso have the indescribably shit CI5 the new Professionals.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 19, 2022, 12:42:47 PM'Gary Busey - Pet Judge'
I hope it's just a tax dodge because if that was really conceived of and made as a real show, then god help us all.

beanheadmcginty

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 19, 2022, 06:13:56 PMI hope it's just a tax dodge because if that was really conceived of and made as a real show, then god help us all.
It seems to be scripted on the sense that the defendants have a story they've come up with and Gary just improvs his response.

It's not very good, I'd only recommend it for Busey completionists.

George White

THey've a lot of regional semi-amateur stuff from the States, a lot of black/'urban' stuff, esp. from the South. Stuff like the truly atrocious Atlanta-shot spy thriller The Last Assignment and the various websoaps of NC-based Victory Productions Inc.

phantom_power

They've got some good music stuff on there. Stop Making Sense, Beat Street, a Fela Kuti documentary, amongst others

Looks like they've got some stuff from the Arrow back catalogue on here, I've found the original Ring trilogy plus Nakata's Dark Water and a few others. You can definitely pick out some diamonds amongst all the crap.

George White

They have a lot of offcuts from MGM too, AIP and Cannon obscurities.

Catalogue Trousers

Oh, so I need a VPN to access it? Yeah, screw that.

Just download Opera and use the free built in VPN mode.