Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:01:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Therapists and people-pleasing

Started by canadagoose, January 19, 2022, 02:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I.D. Smith

Quote from: canadagoose on January 20, 2022, 02:06:35 PMThat sounds exactly like what I would do. It's rubbish being like this, isn't it?

Yeah, it's pretty rubbish! Some of the advice above is good though, and although I don't wish it on anybody, it is comforting to know it's not just me who does this kind of thing. I remember in some of my sessions managing to somehow manipulate it so that I got my counsellor talking to me about her life, and about her son and him taking his driving test, and how work was, and so on. In my head I'd be thinking "Great, I've managed to deflect the flow of conversation to allow her to speak. Aren't I being so gracious and kind", but at the same time thinking "What am I doing, this is my one chance to actually finally talk about myself, no strings attached!". Very frustrating!

Hope you manage to finally break free from it soon! But till then, solidarity and all that :)