Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:42:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fun history game

Started by Gurke and Hare, January 20, 2022, 10:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

https://wikitrivia.tomjwatson.com/

This is a fun game, about placing historical events in the order they happened in. It uses Wikipedia to generate a thing (eg Mary Queen of Scots born) and you have to place it in the right place relative to all the things it's previously used in that game, you get three lives and you have to have as big a timeline as possible. My best so far is 12.

It's very annoying when you guess that something is earlier than 1500, and it turns out to be 1501.

Wonderful Butternut

Butchers Blind

Airship invented in 1852. Didn't know this.

Wonderful Butternut

Thought it was earlier given they were playing around with balloons and non rigid dirigibles since the 1760s or so.

paruses

Bloody Thugees have done me over and not for the first time.

Norton Canes

Cuellar

Interesting but er it says the number '1,000,000' was 'published' in 1250, can pancreas confirm?

Gurke and Hare

Yeah, it depends on the quality of the Wikipedia page. I've just had the year that the card game Whist was "discovered".

KennyMonster

I f*ckin hate Tom Watson for his role in the GE 2019 Tory victory, ain't clicking on his foul links.

paruses

George V, stamp designer and Pope John XXIII, pope would have had their minds blown by the invention of the ballpoint pen but Steve McQueen, actor would have taken it for granted. Makes you think.

Icehaven

They're sneaky with the illustrations, I just totally misjudged the birth date of some American politician who looked like he'd stepped straight out of the 1940s but wasn't even born until 1958.

Wonderful Butternut

Got a 19. Mightn't beat that for a while.

Icehaven

That massive Jesus statue in Rio De Janeiro has only been there since 1920?!

Inspector Norse

Fun! Not sure I've ever played another game which links Thomas Aquinas to Early Dynastic Egypt, the creation of Oreos, the final episode of Cheers and the Fukushima disaster.

IBM being founded in 1911 was a surprise though!

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on January 20, 2022, 10:40:39 AMthey were playing around with balloons and non rigid dirigibles

I bet they were, the dirty bollockses, I bet they fucking were

Beagle 2

I was on for a 12 streak before it claimed the V2 rocket was developed in 1916. Rage quit the internet.

Wonderful Butternut

The year Hogwarts was founded is not history. Because it is not a real place.

0/10

Inspector Norse

Yeah, some of it's a bit suspect. Just lost a streak because the American firearms company Colt was supposedly founded in 69 AD.

Butchers Blind

Was doing well until lack of knowledge regarding Jyotirao Phule upended me.

Blumf

When was Svalbard, an archipelago in the Arctic Ocean, created? Well it's a georaphic feature some 100,000s to millions of years ago.

Nope, 1920.

Dumbass web scraper!!

Blumf

Netherlands, created in 1954 (that was it's current charter, it's was proclaimed in 1581, which was more or less where I guessed it was)

However, it was helpful in asking when I though the fifth century BC plage of Athens was.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blumf on January 20, 2022, 02:46:01 PMWhen was Svalbard, an archipelago in the Arctic Ocean, created? Well it's a georaphic feature some 100,000s to millions of years ago.

Nope, 1920.

Dumbass web scraper!!
Aruba created in 1986? I guess that's when it became a constituent country of the Netherlands rather than a territory or something, but still. Especially after my top Auguste Escoffier knowledge.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Blumf on January 20, 2022, 02:46:01 PMWhen was Svalbard, an archipelago in the Arctic Ocean, created? Well it's a georaphic feature some 100,000s to millions of years ago.

Nope, 1920.

Dumbass web scraper!!

I'd let that slide a bit that cos that's when it was created as a territory within Norway under the Svalbard Act.

It's better than treating Harry Potter as actual history or saying that Colt Manufacturing was founded in the first century AD.

chveik

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Dex Sawash

Took me 10 games to notice the date appears once you place the cards. Quit when it placed sportswear company PUMA at year zero.

Famous Mortimer

Peugeot created in 1810? Well, I never.

Johnny Yesno

Fuck my hat. Apparently, the Covid-19 outbreak started in 2019.

Ferris

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 21, 2022, 01:28:04 AMPeugeot created in 1810? Well, I never.

Skirt hoops->bike spokes->cars
Pepper mills somewhere along the road