Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:26:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fun history game

Started by Gurke and Hare, January 20, 2022, 10:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 21, 2022, 02:48:39 AMPepper mills somewhere along the road

They tried a load of different objects before deciding that cars were best suited to that environment.

Lemming

22! Was shocked to get Sarah Baartman, who I'd been reading about just yesterday, which pretty much gave me an extra free point.

Also got given "deep fat frying". Ok, 1800s, maybe? No, 5000 BC, apparently. The fuck.

Gurke and Hare

Fairy tales are newer than I'd imagined.

Cuellar

Don't even know where it's getting its dates from half the time.

Michelangelo's David was created in 2020 apparently. The number '2020' doesn't even appear anywhere on the wikipedia page.

Blumf

Quote from: Cuellar on January 21, 2022, 09:45:13 AMMichelangelo's David was created in 2020 apparently. The number '2020' doesn't even appear anywhere on the wikipedia page.

Seen that a lot. It'd be nice if the wiki link on the back of the card took you to the specific version of the page it scraped.

buttgammon

I just got one saying Wales was created in 500. It sounds like one of those 'how long is a piece of string questions', so I looked it up on Wikipedia and it really doesn't sound like the creation of a country.

QuoteBy AD 500 the land that would become Wales had divided into a number of kingdoms free from Anglo-Saxon rule.

Catalogue of ills

Imagine my surprise on discovering that Jesus Christ was born in the year 7 BC. Getting ahead of himself there.

Hex Triplet

Just asked me what year a bear was born in. How am I supposed to know what year a bear was born in?

Got a streak of 13 though, and that's despite being told that some horse race derby started in the year 0.

Hex Triplet

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on January 20, 2022, 12:53:26 PMThe year Hogwarts was founded is not history. Because it is not a real place.

0/10

I got this one as well! GET FUCKED HARRY POTTER

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: Hex Triplet on January 21, 2022, 11:38:38 AMJust asked me what year a bear was born in. How am I supposed to know what year a bear was born in?

You ask for it's bearth certificate. (sorry)

shoulders

Quote from: Ferris on January 21, 2022, 02:37:11 AMIt's good this.

Is this mobile friendly? I can't get it to work other than flipping the bottom card around.

No-one else has mentioned anything about having issues.

What am I missing?

shoulders

Works fine in a browser but on my phone it won't let me move the central card. Weird.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: shoulders on January 21, 2022, 12:11:18 PMWorks fine in a browser but on my phone it won't let me move the central card. Weird.

You have to hold down on the card and then move it, otherwise it just refreshes the page

shoulders

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on January 21, 2022, 12:17:46 PMYou have to hold down on the card and then move it, otherwise it just refreshes the page

Yes, it's still fiddly but I got there.

Streak of 15.

This is a well pitched game for difficulty and replay ability

the science eel

Luftwaffe created in 1956, apparently

thenoise

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on January 21, 2022, 11:32:51 AMImagine my surprise on discovering that Jesus Christ was born in the year 7 BC. Getting ahead of himself there.
Our Saviour can do anything he wants. Could Buddha be born 7 years before himself? Could he fuck.

mattyc

Captain Z

Lee Carvallo's History Challenge

dissolute ocelot

The Garden of Earthly Delights
Medieval triptych by Hieronymus Bosch
Created

Spoiler alert
[close]

I've also been asked the birthdates of Anne Shirley (from Anne of Green Gables) and Baron Munchausen, and the death date of Faust, protagonist of a classic German legend. All part of the fun.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: shoulders on January 21, 2022, 12:07:54 PMIs this mobile friendly? I can't get it to work other than flipping the bottom card around.

No-one else has mentioned anything about having issues.

What am I missing?

I keep having trouble with it.  It took a few attempts to get the hang of moving the card around but it keeps dumping me out of the game while I'm in the process of moving the card and I have to start again.

Oh and it said the Forbidden City was built sometime in the 1940's (can't remember the exact date it said, maybe 1947).

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on January 21, 2022, 11:32:51 AMImagine my surprise on discovering that Jesus Christ was born in the year 7 BC. Getting ahead of himself there.

It is pretty widely accepted that the real historical Jesus was born before the year zero, isn't it?

Icehaven

Hmm, just lost a life for putting two things it said happened in 2005 next to each other. Presumably it didn't like the order I used.

paruses

I get tripped up by Japanese stuff being either really early or really late (19th century).

Ferris

Quote from: paruses on January 21, 2022, 04:29:35 PMI get tripped up by Japanese stuff being either really early or really late (19th century).

Yeah some bastard samurai has hobbled my streak a few times now. Could be 1925, could be 13th century and I'm too ignorant to know.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: Ferris on January 21, 2022, 04:33:47 PMYeah some bastard samurai has hobbled my streak a few times now. Could be 1925, could be 13th century and I'm too ignorant to know.

Yeah, if nothing else it illustrates how Eurocentric our history teaching is. I haven't got a clue about any Asian or African cultures before about 1850

Lemming

Oh, Batu caves were formed in 1891, were they? The 400 million year old cave formation appeared out of thin air in 1891, did it? Lost my last life on that. Absolutely fucking livid.

bgmnts

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on January 21, 2022, 05:37:43 PMYeah, if nothing else it illustrates how Eurocentric our history teaching is. I haven't got a clue about any Asian or African cultures before about 1850

Meiji Reformation
Tokugawa Shogunate and feudal Japan.
Obviously the Mongolian empire.
Warring Kingdoms of China etc

But yeah Africa, fuck knows. We know Mansa Musa spent so much gold travelling to Mecca from Mali that he fucked the economy but that's it. Why dont we know anything about Ghanaian ancient history or the Sudan? Considering how much we've been involved over there.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: bgmnts on January 21, 2022, 05:52:22 PMMeiji Reformation
Tokugawa Shogunate and feudal Japan.
Obviously the Mongolian empire.
Warring Kingdoms of China etc

But yeah Africa, fuck knows. We know Mansa Musa spent so much gold travelling to Mecca from Mali that he fucked the economy but that's it. Why dont we know anything about Ghanaian ancient history or the Sudan? Considering how much we've been involved over there.

I think part of the difficulty is between about 1550 and 1850, with colonialism rampant, European powers basically redrew the world which makes it bloody difficult to keep up with which countries were created/deleted.

Jasha

The Balkan War which bloody Balkan War you could take your pick from a dozen!?

Also FedEx, well yeah obviously shortened from Federal Express must be donkeys years old, around Wild west/Pinkertons/Western Union era Merica shurely,

Spoiler alert
fuck my hat 1971
[close]