Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:28:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ozark ~ Season 4

Started by Mobius, January 21, 2022, 09:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Just dropped on Netflix! Only the first half of season 4 though, the rest comes later.

I'm going to have to go and watch a recap video as it's been 2 years, but I seem to recall Season 3 being pretty great.

Any fans of Ozark?

CaledonianGonzo

Spoiler alert
Did I miss something?  How the fuck did Ruth get the heroin out of the second gang's gaming barn?
[close]

druss

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 22, 2022, 09:47:16 PM
Spoiler alert
Did I miss something?  How the fuck did Ruth get the heroin out of the second gang's gaming barn?
[close]
Spoiler alert
She talked her way out of it.
[close]

Spoiler alert
I saw a news headline that very heavily insinuated that Ruth died in the final episode so I was relieved that she survived. Was expecting them to save Darlene's death for the final run of episode but I suppose that despite being the more menacing villain, it's always been Navarro as the main threat.

I was a bit confused about that final episode. My understanding is that cartels don't like working with the police so for Navarro to want to cooperate already seemed like a bit of a stretch. For him to then call his nephew and say

"Listen, we are working with the FBI now so please work with them"

"Ok, no problem boss"

Seemed too much of a stretch, unless I'm missing something.

Still, Ozark has always been best if you don't think about it too much and that first half of the season was as enjoyable as ever.
[close]

WhoMe

That last episode was wild. I was
Spoiler alert
definitely expecting Ruth to get her face blown off from off screen when she bellowed 'You'll have to KILLL MEEEE'
[close]
but I'm glad they didn't do it.

This has to be the last season though, it is really stretching the suspension of disbelief at this point.

paruses

Just started on series 4 having binged S3 over the last week. This is one of those series I think of as a chore to sit down and watch but then really get gripped. I had the same breaks between 1 and 2.

I find that it nicely ratchets tension unlike, say, Good Girls which is just a series of problems that can't be solved.

Had forgotten how good Jason Bateman is a reasonably unreasonable control freak. I don' t even mind the kids now.

Nice ending to S3 and good to get straight into S4. 17 mins in and the American doctor from Ripper Street has turned up. As a side note he's one of those actors I feel I recognise far more than I should - whenever I google his credits I've never seen any his stuff.

For once I'm not expanding the spoilers.

paruses

Half way through S4p1 now. Wendy really is the Walter White of this isn't she?

Mobius

In case anyone didn't notice the last few episodes of this popped up on Netflix the other day.

Last half of the last ever season I believe so that's your lot!

I've got 2 episodes to go. Enjoying it, but feels like there's an awful lot to tie up before it's over so sort of expecting some unresolved stuff.

Des Wigwam

I really enjoy this once I've forced myself to get 20 mins of it down my eyeballs but I've already forgotten what happened at the end of that first half.

Agreed it seems pretty hard to tie up given everyone and everything is involved but one solution they often use is just to kill whoever the problem is. If course that then adds a bigger problem.

Got quite a light day today so might dig in.

druss

Caught a headline saying the ending is shite, going to power through regardless...

Mobius

Yeah I've got the last episode to watch tonight, and can sort of feel myself being disappointed already. Still enjoying the show, but haven't been a huge fan of the direction in these last few episodes. Just feel like they're focusing on the wrong characters and storylines a bit.

Oh well will watch later and once you lot have caught up, see how crap it ended.

Neville Chamberlain

Just watched the first three episodes of the last part of Series 4 and am, again, totally hooked. I can't quite understand the drubbing the series has generally got. For me, Ozark has been an utterly immersive experience right from the get-go and, when it's over in a couple more episodes, I'll genuinely miss the slow, tense, claustrophobic atmosphere that pervades almost every scene, not to mention the scenery and landscapes. Of all the dramas involving drug cartels, people getting way out of their depth and disturbing villains, it's way up there - in my opinion - with the likes of, say, Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul (although I do think the latter are superior even to Ozark).

Des Wigwam

Immersive is a really good word. I agree with all your post so won't type it out again.

Just started on part 2. I'd forgotten the daughter used to bang Wyatt. Thingy is so good at playing Ruth - I recently watched the fake heiress thing over about 3 nights so usually my brain would fold the actor and the roles into one for a while but she's straight into being damaged but quite frightening Ruth.

I also wish Jason Bateman could follow me round and talk me through daily life. I'd be a lot more relaxed and make better decisions (obvs he wouldn't be having to advise  me on how to double cross a Mexican drug cartel)*.

* Or would he?**

** He wouldn't.

druss

Three episodes in to this last run and really enjoying it so far. Wondering how the ending can be so ill-received, haven't seen it but I'm wondering if Wendy ends up being some sort of kingpin and Marty dies, seems like the sort of thing that would wind the internet up.

Des Wigwam

Fucking hell the end of episode 13 is exciting.

Finished this now. I think they whiffed the ending, but it was still enjoyable to the end. The tension ratcheted up a lot, and especially the music was very well done in giving that sense of growing dread.

Des Wigwam

Also finished it. Was getting a bit stressed it was going to end as I got really dragged along. Not sure how I feel about the ending - I suppose one reading is
Spoiler alert
it just never ends.
[close]
Bit unsatisfying though. Also
Spoiler alert
was that a call back to an event in season 1 or maybe 2?
[close]
. Quite upset to see
Spoiler alert
Ruth go
[close]

WhoMe

Spoiler alert
I enjoyed this series and the show overall but the story has slowly petered out. It didn't deliver an ending that felt like a real culmination of events. Was expecting some kind of double cross or blindside that never really came. New characters didn't fill the holes left by previous ones, except for Navaro's sister perhaps. She was very menacing. The car crash flashback proved to be pretty inconsequential, unless I missed some deeper meaning there. Given that it was always going to be the last series they could have gone all in and had Wendy, Marty or both meet their overdue maker. They had become completely irredeemable as people and ending it on an 'ultimately it was all futile and they could never escape' note might have been more in keeping with the overall theme.
[close]

Mobius

Spoiler alert
Yeah I thought the car crash was pointless. Wasn't that the opening scene of the series? Implying it was a big deal.

I didn't mind the sister, but seemed unnecessary to introduce a new big baddie in the last half of the last season. Javi felt like a bit of a ripoff of Lalo from BB? Preferred Omar's relationship with the Byrdes. Just not arsed with the kids, and Wendy's dad. Had enough of her brother last series. And bringing that Rachel back just felt unnecessary
[close]

Enjoyed it overall, just wasn't a huge fan of some of the decisions there.

Neville Chamberlain

Well I watched the finale last night and, as someone who's nearly always dissatisfied/puzzled with endings, I thought this hit just the right balance between tying up loose ends and maintaining the tension and ambiguity that's characterised the show right from the outset.

I'm going to miss this show and its chilly blue-green tint so bloody much and I hope it comes to be appreciated more as time goes on.

poo

Kept me entertained enough when I was ill in bed. When it finished I was like, yeah that was OK but really daft.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on May 11, 2022, 07:33:13 AMWell I watched the finale last night and, as someone who's nearly always dissatisfied/puzzled with endings, I thought this hit just the right balance between tying up loose ends and maintaining the tension and ambiguity that's characterised the show right from the outset.

I'm going to miss this show and its chilly blue-green tint so bloody much and I hope it comes to be appreciated more as time goes on.

I felt quite flat after it had ended which is a sign that I've really got into a show - a show I have to force myself to start watching and which I often think is treading the same ground. It's a real oddity for me but I do love it. A friend has not seen any of it and I've said I'll watch with. Quite looking forward to that especially as it's been dragged over so many years - I'd completely forgotten who
Spoiler alert
Rachel was when she showed up again and can't really remember that arc. Ditto all of the ways the naive local guy gets fucked over by the Byrds over 4 seasons. Even ditto what's in the cookie jar*.
[close]

John-Boy Walton is really good at playing an absolute cunt as a simmering menace. Also really like Jason Bateman's constant temperature and Laura Linney's fracturing.

Do you think
Spoiler alert
she's meant to be a proper sociopath and it surfaces over the series? Or is the introduction of the dad to show that she's always had to do whatever she needed to protect herself? When Ruth visits her in the mental health place and then the kids come round it's like the whole thing was a play on her part rather than an unintended consequence.
[close]

[Inline Edit - Not that I necessarily disagree with @poo ]

Spoiler alert
biscuit barrel
[close]

robhug

watched the final ones last night. There's been ups and downs throughout the whole series but I think I'm veering more towards decent than good

Spoiler alert
S4 starts with a car crash the outcome of which was stretched as a cliff-hanger for 14 episodes - yay one of them will surely be dead. Cue 14 episodes later the full car crash sequence. They just all get out seemingly totally unharmed and just get a taxi home. What a fucking waste of everyone's time that was.

[close]

S1, S2 and most of S3 were pretty good, S4 definite drop off.

druss

Spoiler alert
Bleak as fuck ending and pretty unsatisfactory to see the mega-cunt family get away with everything. On the other hand, throughout the entire run it's always been "we are so close to getting out of this" but something always keeps popping up and they can never truly relax. It was the final season but it ended in such a way that if I didn't know it was the final season I could see the ruthless cartel sister as being just as much of a thorn in their side as Omar so I don't think they'll ever truly be free.
[close]

druss

Oh also
Spoiler alert
detective man coming back and saying "Aha! I have foiled your evil plot! There's no way you can get away with this now!" was atrocious and unrealistic. I didn't mind the direction the finale went on the whole other than obviously being upset that Ruth died, but that last scene was terrible.
[close]

Mobius

^ oh yeah I forgot to mention that bit. That was really bad and silly.

Des Wigwam

Yes. I could see what they were going for but should have gone for it in a different way.