Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:20:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best scambaiter ever?

Started by Pinball, February 09, 2022, 05:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

This lady is just amazing. She manages to drive these scamming b'stards to all-out rage. Exasperation to a Jam extent. A sort of angry version of Julia Davis in the car sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWUDK5G2L8o

bgmnts

In my experience Kitboga is the king of scambaiting, and Jim Browning is the king of putting the shits right up scammers.

If a new contestant has emerged I'm excited to check them out.

Pinball

Totally agree. Scammer Payback and Trilogy Media are also great. This lady adds a new dimension to scammer baiting that I like, that reminds me of Julia Davis in Jam. Something new and different :-)

Pinball

An interesting new approach in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elHL_WdFzMY

I love how she interjects her old woman voice 'why are you two fighting' while her male hacker voice argues with the scammer. The hacker in the PC :-)

Quote from: bgmnts on February 10, 2022, 06:46:17 PMIf a new contestant has emerged I'm excited to check them out.

Never seen her before, but she's good.

PlanktonSideburns

Had me at Julia Davis, will have a go tomorrow

mothman

I found it quite hard to make out what she was saying?

paruses

I thought she was good although I had to forward a bit into the old lady / hacker fight to work out what was going on. Is that because it's edited from a Twitch stream (I probably sound like Alan Partridge talking about an ecstasy pellet there)?

Yea she's a bit hard to understand but I think that's partly because to keep herhooks into these arseholes she has to talk over them to frustrate them and keep the pressure on.

Looking through the comments some people just don't understand what the point is even though they seem to appreciate it. Quite a few comments like "ooh when he said he could only pay $300  you should have got him on that" - yea the point wasn't to win an argument and have the scammer revise their payments process you dick. I can see why Twitter and Facebook are best avoided with this zero-sum attitude to everything regardless (I am now just an old man moaning about stuff).

She reminds me of Charlotte Ritchie.

markburgle

I could've done with some context explaining how the scam was meant to work (but maybe if you're a regular watcher of these things it's common knowledge). Also she seemed to miss the money shot by not showing when she changed the "refund" amount. Still, v impressed she managed to bilk all that dough out of them

AllisonSays

I don't get this kind of thing at all and basically am on the side of the scammers, who are working, over the people who are fucking with them for fun or YouTube hits.

Paul Calf

She doesn't explain the scam and I think the video is quite badly edited. And her voice is not easy on the ears.

This is, minute-for-minute, the best scambaiting video I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mceb_t8EIs

He always explains very clearly how the scam works and how the scammers are vicious criminals stealing money from innocent marks.

Quote from: AllisonSays on February 11, 2022, 07:48:07 AMI don't get this kind of thing at all and basically am on the side of the scammers, who are working, over the people who are fucking with them for fun or YouTube hits.

lol edgy

Paul Calf

Quote from: AllisonSays on February 11, 2022, 07:48:07 AMI don't get this kind of thing at all and basically am on the side of the scammers, who are working, over the people who are fucking with them for fun or YouTube hits.

Yeah why can't those poor scammers just be allowed to get on with their vital work of ruthlessly ruining the lives of vulnerable people? Fucking hell.

paruses

Quote from: markburgle on February 11, 2022, 06:48:34 AMI could've done with some context explaining how the scam was meant to work (but maybe if you're a regular watcher of these things it's common knowledge). Also she seemed to miss the money shot by not showing when she changed the "refund" amount. Still, v impressed she managed to bilk all that dough out of them

Oh hang on - I think I missed that too. I saw her pull up the html but wasn't sure why. I thought the scammers made the amount up to 11118.00 and the idea was they made the mark drive to the bank and put the mark's money into their bitcoin wallet. Is that not right? I mean, it seemed a very labour intensive, low success rate scam at that point anyway.

I didn't think any money was changing hands at the point where the amount went up to $11k.

BlodwynPig

Love "Mother Chode" as a Hindi swear word.

Paul Calf

Kitboga

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 11, 2022, 07:59:17 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mceb_t8EIs

Explains it well and entertainingly. Jim Browning explains in detail but is a bit drier.

Paul Calf

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 11, 2022, 08:45:13 AMLove "Mother Chode" as a Hindi swear word.

Madachod = 'motherfucker'.

Also, bahinchod = 'sister fucker'.

You hear both of these terms a lot on these videos.

Paul Calf

Quote from: bgmnts on February 10, 2022, 06:46:17 PMIn my experience Kitboga is the king of scambaiting, and Jim Browning is the king of putting the shits right up scammers.

If a new contestant has emerged I'm excited to check them out.

Pleased to finnd someone else as tragically obsessed with scambaiting vids as I am. I want the scammer screaming at Kitboga's old lady "ARE YOU MAD BITCH? DO NOT REDEEM THE CARDS! WHY ARE YOU REDEEMING IT BITCH? WHY?" to be played at my funeral.

Jerzy Bondov

I agree Pinball, she is good, a bit different. I like how she's just going for being as annoying as possible, constantly interrupting them and making incorrect assumptions and being argumentative for no reason.

Paul Calf

Yes, sorry. I might have allowed my Kitboga fandom to get in the way of my appreciation for other styles. I didn't mean to disparage your contribution.

olliebean

Quote from: markburgle on February 11, 2022, 06:48:34 AMI could've done with some context explaining how the scam was meant to work (but maybe if you're a regular watcher of these things it's common knowledge). Also she seemed to miss the money shot by not showing when she changed the "refund" amount. Still, v impressed she managed to bilk all that dough out of them

The scammer is offering the mark a refund for some service that the mark didn't want. (I'm unclear if they're looking for a mark who has actually paid for a service they didn't want, or are just able to convince them that they have.) They get the mark to log into their online bank account, then blank out that screen while getting the mark to type in the amount of the refund. They interfere with what the mark is typing so they "accidentally" type too large an amount. Meanwhile they've interfered with the screen showing the mark's account balances, so it appears they have actually received the payment. Then they get the mark to pay them the amount by which they've apparently been over-refunded, via some untraceable method like vouchers or bitcoin. (Technically, since they have taken control of the mark's computer, they could take control of the bank account and pay themselves directly, but then the bank would have a record of where the money had gone.)

I'm pretty sure the scammers' rage, at least in part, is a part of the scam, i.e., they get angry at the mark in order to intimidate them into doing what they say. In at least one of those videos the scammer gets angry as soon as the excessive refund is apparently paid, before she's really said anything to wind him up that much - and his anger at that point is at the fake overpayment that he engineered, rather than at anything he'd genuinely be angry about.

Jerzy Bondov

You're alright Paul, Kitboga is the king.

There's a great bit in the first vid Pinball posted where she decides the scammer is eating something and just will not stop accusing him of chewing. I've not seen someone being this aggressive with them before so it's really making me laugh. And where the guy says let me talk, and she says okay I'm sorry go ahead, and then immediately interrupts him again.

BTW she's called Rinoa Poison I don't know why we haven't said her name.

Paul Calf

The scams can be refund scams from scammers pretending to be from Microsoft, IBM, Amazon etc. but they can also by from fake IRS/HMRC agents who tell you that you're in arrears and there's a warrant for your arrest unless you pay immediately.

In Amazon/Target/Google Play gift vouchers.

They then fence them to black market clearing houses who pay about 50c on the dollar and further launder the procees using crypto exchanges.

Fresh, laundered profit.

The latter type tend to be the nastiest and most aggressive, partly because it fits the modality but also to distract you from the fact that a government agency appears to be demanding that you settle tax arrears by giving them gift cards.

Fambo Number Mive

They are "working" at ripping people off, many of whom are elderly or vulnerable.

The more time these scambaiters spend with these people, the less time they have to con someone into handing over money that they probably can't afford to lose. It's not like they only target millionaires or something, imagine the number of working class people who get ripped off by these people.

Sebastian Cobb

It rests on whether the person on the phone is getting the money themselves or whether the thing is more like a professional call-center set up, where most of the money is going to the people who set everything up and the people on the phone are effectively agents getting a tiny cut (likely with limited opportunities because why else would they do it?). If it's the latter then some smug westerner hectoring a poor grunt worker in the global south for youtube clout seems far less noble in my opinion.

Pinball

I like how she focuses on getting rage out of the scammers, using every trick to wind them up, and a female perspective is interesting too e.g. when they rage out she says 'why are you abusing me?' and pretends to cry. At one point a third, very calm scammer starts talking to her, and she says to camera 'two down, but this will be a hard nut to crack'. But crack him she does :-)

She reminds me of Julia Davis as 'thick person' in the car ticket sketch in some parts, so it has that Jam element. Wonderfully irritating and exasperating.

Yes she's not one of the famous scambaiters, but I like her different approach, just ruthlessly enraging and winding these scammers up, and sometimes for 4 hours plus. I don't think I could watch this for hours on twitch though. The edited versions are quite enough!

A shame that the Indian police are bribed and corrupt, and allow this huge scam industry to thrive. But the scambaiters seem to be really grinding the scam call centres down. I like it when the baiters download data from the scammers' PCs then delete their files. Karma. She does this too, which is quite satisfying to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sD_N3ANats

canadagoose

They're nasty pieces of work who intimidate and shout at vulnerable people before taking their money. Frankly, shouting "behen ke laude chutiya bakrichod" at them is too good for them.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 11, 2022, 10:41:16 AMIt rests on whether the person on the phone is getting the money themselves or whether the thing is more like a professional call-center set up, where most of the money is going to the people who set everything up and the people on the phone are effectively agents getting a tiny cut (likely with limited opportunities because why else would they do it?). If it's the latter then some smug westerner hectoring a poor grunt worker in the global south for youtube clout seems far less noble in my opinion.

They're on commission. They're criminals and they know that what they're doing is legally and morally wrong but it pays better than most other jobs so they do it. While people are winding them up like this, they can't do it to other people.

If your grandmother had had her life savings wiped out by one of these shitheels (as did Kitboga's), you'd probably feel differently.

markburgle

Quote from: olliebean on February 11, 2022, 09:26:16 AMI'm pretty sure the scammers' rage, at least in part, is a part of the scam, i.e., they get angry at the mark in order to intimidate them into doing what they say.

That's a shame, makes it considerably less fun. I thought I was hearing the real desperation of a scammer who had lost thousands of dollars