Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:51:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best scambaiter ever?

Started by Pinball, February 09, 2022, 05:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 11, 2022, 10:41:16 AMIt rests on whether the person on the phone is getting the money themselves or whether the thing is more like a professional call-center set up, where most of the money is going to the people who set everything up and the people on the phone are effectively agents getting a tiny cut (likely with limited opportunities because why else would they do it?). If it's the latter then some smug westerner hectoring a poor grunt worker in the global south for youtube clout seems far less noble in my opinion.

This is a bit different to just working in an ordinary call centre doing IT support or whatever. It's organised criminal activity. They know exactly the kind of business they're in, they know they're ruining lives and leaving their victims destitute and they don't care. I have no sympathy for anyone who willingly works in these places.

They also damage the local economy by stopping genuine businesses getting clients.

QuoteNaeem Akhtar
2 months ago
I live in Udaipur (place where one of the scan center is located). As a software developer it hurts so much 🥺. It's very difficult to get the clients to work with with due to the image these scammers had created for my fellow citizens.

Pinball

IMO any trade deal with India should be contingent on the Indian government getting the police to do their jobs instead of being bribed and looking the other way. Shameful. Scam centres are a big industry there.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 11, 2022, 11:26:45 AMThey're on commission. They're criminals and they know that what they're doing is legally and morally wrong but it pays better than most other jobs so they do it. While people are winding them up like this, they can't do it to other people.

If your grandmother had had her life savings wiped out by one of these shitheels (as did Kitboga's), you'd probably feel differently.
I'd probably feel a bit less bad about ripping off people's grans if they came from a country that pillaged mine for centuries as well. I'm not defending them, I just don't think anyone comes out of baiting videos looking good.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 11, 2022, 11:45:39 AMI'd probably feel a bit less bad about ripping off people's grans if they came from a country that pillaged mine for centuries as well. I'm not defending them, I just don't think anyone comes out of baiting videos looking good.

The US pillaged India for centuries? When did this happen?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 11, 2022, 09:19:12 AMYes, sorry. I might have allowed my Kitboga fandom to get in the way of my appreciation for other styles. I didn't mean to disparage your contribution.

He's jumped the shark with his new cartoon

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 11, 2022, 11:45:39 AMI'd probably feel a bit less bad about ripping off people's grans if they came from a country that pillaged mine for centuries as well. I'm not defending them, I just don't think anyone comes out of baiting videos looking good.

Maybe they do feel a bit less bad (which they shouldn't do given the people they scammed aren't responsible in any way for the British crimes in India), it doesn't change the fact that they are trying to scam large amounts of money out of people who tend to be vulnerable in one way or another.

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on February 11, 2022, 11:33:31 AMThis is a bit different to just working in an ordinary call centre doing IT support or whatever. It's organised criminal activity. They know exactly the kind of business they're in, they know they're ruining lives and leaving their victims destitute and they don't care. I have no sympathy for anyone who willingly works in these places.

"Willingly" is the key here. A lot of the people staffing these call centres are doing it because they have no choice, either because it's the only work available or because the gangs have coerced them into it with threats of violence and rape against their families. There's no police to turn to as they've been  bought off.

It's pure deso all up and down.

Fambo Number Mive

I've never heard of people being pressured into working in scam call centres by gangs, but even if some are these Youtubers still reduce the amount of time these people can scam other vulnerable people.

Pinball

There is no justification for these criminal call centres. Most of their victims are elderly, so it's the meanest, cruelest most despicable type of crime. One victim (who was saved by the scambaiters) was an 83 year old Indian man in the US who owned a motel. He nearly lost $250,000 before the scambaiters intervened, with an impressive collaborative effort, including on the ground folks from Trilogy Media who literally drove to the victim to warn him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P4OkPQP7C4

Icehaven

Quote from: Pinball on February 11, 2022, 12:56:51 PMThere is no justification for these criminal call centres. Most of their victims are elderly, so it's the meanest, cruelest most despicable type of crime. One victim (who was saved by the scambaiters) was an 83 year old Indian man in the US who owned a motel. He nearly lost $250,000 before the scambaiters intervened, with an impressive collaborative effort, including on the ground folks from Trilogy Media who literally drove to the victim to warn him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P4OkPQP7C4

And for it to be worth their while setting up entire call centres it must work a lot more often than we probably think it does.

Paul Calf

They make a lot of money. Jim Browning meticulously dismantled one of their scams last year, getting access to their PCs, phones and even security cameras.

Paul Calf

The summary of the campaign is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHHzoDqZL8M

The scam operation bosses are utterly ruthless and greedy.

thenoise

Quote from: AllisonSays on February 11, 2022, 07:48:07 AMI don't get this kind of thing at all and basically am on the side of the scammers, who are working, over the people who are fucking with them for fun or YouTube hits.

Believe it or not, getting youtube hits (and/or sponsorship, etc) is also work.

badaids

There are not many things funnier than Kitboga determinedly redeeming the gift cards while a scammer screams abuse at him, or when Kitboga goes off on a 10 minute rambling soliloquy about eggs while a scammer screams at him. He's a wonderful improviser.

However: his voice has a horrible chewy fry on it that is both grating and instantly recognisable, and I reckon he's got horrible Jeff Flynn piss holes for eyes which is why he wears those shades all the time.

There's another scammer whose videos I can't find anymore, young lanky good looking American lad who sets up his virtual machines with windows 3.1, Netscape explorer, hundreds of paper clip helpers everywhere, or obscene pictures appearing whatever icon you click on. If that rings any bells for anyone please post a link as I'd love to see his vids again.

AllisonSays

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on February 11, 2022, 12:26:19 PM"Willingly" is the key here. A lot of the people staffing these call centres are doing it because they have no choice, either because it's the only work available or because the gangs have coerced them into it with threats of violence and rape against their families. There's no police to turn to as they've been  bought off.

Much better expressed than my post, but essentially what I wanted to get at.

Jerzy Bondov

Saw one earlier where one the scammers accused Rinoa of being Kitboga

Attila

Quote from: badaids on February 11, 2022, 08:52:27 PMThere are not many things funnier than Kitboga determinedly redeeming the gift cards while a scammer screams abuse at him, or when Kitboga goes off on a 10 minute rambling soliloquy about eggs while a scammer screams at him. He's a wonderful improviser.

However: his voice has a horrible chewy fry on it that is both grating and instantly recognisable, and I reckon he's got horrible Jeff Flynn piss holes for eyes which is why he wears those shades all the time.

There's another scammer whose videos I can't find anymore, young lanky good looking American lad who sets up his virtual machines with windows 3.1, Netscape explorer, hundreds of paper clip helpers everywhere, or obscene pictures appearing whatever icon you click on. If that rings any bells for anyone please post a link as I'd love to see his vids again.

I like Jim Brownng, but weekends are usually me working on my craft stuff while listening to Kitboga -- there's one where his Edna/old lady character is rambling on about her husband's microwave hobby (he's got loads of them daisy-chained together to make a macrowave) that's really funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ma5RY2bG38

There are a few vids where he's not got the shades on; every once in a while he takes up a scammer's request to do a video chat, so he dolls himself up as Nevaeh, 5 o'clock shadow and all.

Some of his guest scambaiters are hit and miss, but some of them are really fun. He's also teamed up with the glitterbomb guy on occassion, too.

Goldentony

if anyone were to scam me I feel like it would be reasonable for me to inflict ELITE MMA on them

Natnar

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on February 11, 2022, 12:26:19 PM"Willingly" is the key here. A lot of the people staffing these call centres are doing it because they have no choice, either because it's the only work available or because the gangs have coerced them into it with threats of violence and rape against their families. There's no police to turn to as they've been  bought off.

The thing i always ask myself with these Scambaters is, are they doing it because they're actually concerned about helping to expose the scammers to stop them or is it just an easy way to get subscribers  and advance their own careers?

Dex Sawash

The local newspaper keeps calling me trying to get me to resub. I tell them 'no thank you'
May put some of these up on my YouTube

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Natnar on February 12, 2022, 08:54:41 AMThe thing i always ask myself with these Scambaters is, are they doing it because they're actually concerned about helping to expose the scammers to stop them or is it just an easy way to get subscribers  and advance their own careers?

Probably a bit of both. Either way they are spreading awareness of how scammers operate. And why shouldn't they benefit from what they are doing?

Pinball

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 11, 2022, 08:46:22 AMMadachod = 'motherfucker'.

Also, bahinchod = 'sister fucker'.

You hear both of these terms a lot on these videos.

"Your computer has wirus" in an iffy Indian accent is a meme in my kid's school

Pinball

This Indian-based criminal scam industry is actually quite a big problem now. Why doesn't the international community do something? I'm sure the Indian government wants trade deals, and doesn't want to appear like a corrupt banana republic. And as for Indian cops- what a corrupt third world joke they are. Makes Dickless Tracy look competent.

canadagoose

Why do scammers always get their vowels muddled? Like they always say "rizzon" instead of "reason" with a long i, and "techneeeecian" instead of "technician" with a short i. Where did they learn to do that?

Pinball

UK-targeting scam centre in Kolkata attacked by a scambaiter hacker. Nice job :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGXAaTIWP10

Pinball

Same hacker accesses CCTV of a scam centre. He seems to have Jim Browning-level skills :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZf8yA8GUbE

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 11, 2022, 09:14:30 PMSaw one earlier where one the scammers accused Rinoa of being Kitboga

Yeh there's been some fanmail/chat comments where people say their elderly relatives have picked up the phone to scammers and just said "Kitboga, Kitboga, Kitboga" like Bloody Mary and the scammers have immediately disconnected in fear.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: canadagoose on February 13, 2022, 08:40:36 PMWhy do scammers always get their vowels muddled? Like they always say "rizzon" instead of "reason" with a long i, and "techneeeecian" instead of "technician" with a short i. Where did they learn to do that?

Indian English uses entirely different vowel sounds afaik.

canadagoose

Quote from: H-O-W-L on February 14, 2022, 03:42:50 AMIndian English uses entirely different vowel sounds afaik.
It's just very odd, I don't know what the rule is. I know things like "do one thing" are calques, but I couldn't figure out an explanation for the vowel "reversal".