Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:25:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe 2022

Started by JCR, March 03, 2022, 02:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwardfog

Open letter here from the Live Comedy Association if you want to help tell the Fringe Society to get their fuckin act together

https://livecomedyassociation.co.uk/letter-to-fringe-society

I've had some absolutely wonderful summers at the fringe and obviously want all of this to be sorted for the sake of the performers. But at the same time, I'd take a lot of pleasure from seeing the bubble finally burst.

Crabwalk

I moved to Edinburgh a week ago and have been looking forward to the Fringe so much as I've never been before.

Of course it's imploding in front of my eyes.

DrGreggles

Ha, it won't implode, but next year's will take a hit.

edwardfog

Quote from: Crabwalk on July 05, 2022, 06:36:35 PMI moved to Edinburgh a week ago and have been looking forward to the Fringe so much as I've never been before.

Of course it's imploding in front of my eyes.

It's a way off imploding still I think. It's probably going to shrink a bit if they don't make it more financially viable for performers but I suspect they might welcome that and even see it as a self-selection process.

What are you going to see?

PammySpacek

Crabwalk

Quote from: edwardfog on July 06, 2022, 09:47:29 AMIt's a way off imploding still I think. It's probably going to shrink a bit if they don't make it more financially viable for performers but I suspect they might welcome that and even see it as a self-selection process.

What are you going to see?

I've got most of my wish-list from CaB, but my definites are Police Cops, Tim Key, Anna Mann and probably both of Marcel Lucont's shows.

DrGreggles

Looks like I'll be seeing 60+ shows this year.
A mixture of knowns, part-knowns, unknowns and complete punts.
I think this will be my last proper Fringe, so I'm making the most of it.

privatefriend

They should move it to Arbroath.

DrGreggles

I did see a genuine suggestion that Edinburgh was too expensive and they should move it to London.

edwardfog

Beyond hyped to get back into the swing of the Fringe after last year being reduced to watching Garrett Millerick at Monkey Barrel

My lineup so far:

110% (John Kearns & Pat Cahill)
Cerys Bradley
Sam Campbell
Chris Cantrill
The Delightful Sausage
Sophie Duker
Erika Ehler
Mat Ewins
Frank Foucault
Ruth Hunter
John Kearns
Ange Lavoipierre
Elf Lyons
Dalia Malek
Microscope (Mat Ewins & John Kearns)
Sam Nicoresti
Lara Ricote
Sarah Sherman
Frankie Thompson
Paul Williams
The Wrestling
Zach Zucker

And some theatre/dance stuff to round it out:
Dance Body
Still Floating
The Smile Off Your Face
Svengali
Work.txt
Speed Dial

CaledonianGonzo

Not a new issue- and it'll hopefully settle down a bit once reviews start appearing - but really struggling this year to single out decent options in the late afternoon / early evening.  8 till 10pm is clash city but got lots of downtime in my (current) schedule.

WestHill

Same here!

I've got these on the 'long list':

Rob Auton 14:50
Amy Gledhill Monkey B 15:30
Chris Cantrill 16:20
Ania magliano 16:35 pleasance
WUYN podcast 16:30 the pear
Microscope live 16:40 24th only
Molly Naylor 17:00
Lou Sanders 17:40 MB3
Rachel Fairburn 17:40
Michael Brunström- 18:40 blundabus
Police Cops 19:00
Mr Swallow 19:00

CaledonianGonzo

I think Mr Swallow cancelled his run (and that was even before he got nominated for an Emmy)

DrGreggles

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 21, 2022, 06:21:10 PMI think Mr Swallow cancelled his run (and that was even before he got nominated for an Emmy)

Nick had a scheduling confliict, which I assume means filming in LA.

I've got a few gaps at 7pm this year, but earlier and later are very busy.

ProvanFan

Looks like I'll be going twice:

Saturday 6th, built around fiver tickets I got for RHLSTP (early afternoon) and Frank Skinner (late-ish). Possibly with a filling of Trevor Lock, Sheeps and whatever else. Possibly with friends if anycunt fancies it.

Tuesday 23rd when I'll be there for a work event in the afternoon and have just booked an almost-reasonably-priced hostel, meaning I can stick around to see Sam Campbell at midnight and Stew "shit at panel shows" Lee the next morning. Probably do this one solo in order to achieve that last bit.

It's a sausage-fest so far.

WestHill

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 21, 2022, 06:21:10 PMI think Mr Swallow cancelled his run (and that was even before he got nominated for an Emmy)

Ok thanks!

edwardfog

Quote from: ProvanFan on July 21, 2022, 07:35:20 PMLooks like I'll be going twice:

Saturday 6th, built around fiver tickets I got for RHLSTP (early afternoon) and Frank Skinner (late-ish). Possibly with a filling of Trevor Lock, Sheeps and whatever else. Possibly with friends if anycunt fancies it.

Tuesday 23rd when I'll be there for a work event in the afternoon and have just booked an almost-reasonably-priced hostel, meaning I can stick around to see Sam Campbell at midnight and Stew "shit at panel shows" Lee the next morning. Probably do this one solo in order to achieve that last bit.

It's a sausage-fest so far.

Plenty of class women up there if you want to remedy that.

I just saw the Sheeps show a couple of days ago, is very funny. Opening number had me howling.

I'd love to know more about the Trevor Lock thing. I saw him at last year's fest, thought he was alright, but he's clearly got this die hard cult following who come to see him religiously. How did you get into him?

edwardfog

Quote from: WestHill on July 21, 2022, 03:14:27 PMSame here!

I've got these on the 'long list':

Rob Auton 14:50
Amy Gledhill Monkey B 15:30
Chris Cantrill 16:20
Ania magliano 16:35 pleasance
WUYN podcast 16:30 the pear
Microscope live 16:40 24th only
Molly Naylor 17:00
Lou Sanders 17:40 MB3
Rachel Fairburn 17:40
Michael Brunström- 18:40 blundabus
Police Cops 19:00
Mr Swallow 19:00

Am I right in thinking Brunstrom is doing five different linked shows? Are you going to all of them?

DrGreggles

My available meet-up-for-a-drink days are at some point between the 11th and the 19th.

ProvanFan

Quote from: edwardfog on July 22, 2022, 09:30:10 AMPlenty of class women up there if you want to remedy that.

I just saw the Sheeps show a couple of days ago, is very funny. Opening number had me howling.

I'd love to know more about the Trevor Lock thing. I saw him at last year's fest, thought he was alright, but he's clearly got this die hard cult following who come to see him religiously. How did you get into him?

Aye I'm taking note of the women mentioned in this thread.

I saw Lock in Edinburgh few years ago, having only known him as the lad from TMWRNJ and seen recommendations on here. It was free and funny. I ended up on stage as part of his social experiment (I think the entire audience participated) which served me well early in the day as I was out alone, helped get me into the spirit of things.

CaledonianGonzo

We went to his Community Circle show 5 or 6 years back - by its very nature I suspect it can be very hit or miss, but Lock himself admitted he wasn't feeling well and that day at least it didn't gel.

JCR

Quote from: edwardfog on July 22, 2022, 09:31:26 AMAm I right in thinking Brunstrom is doing five different linked shows? Are you going to all of them?

Michael Brunström canceled.

https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/michael-brunstrom-presents-curt-hatred-s-rubber-funnel-cancelled

greencalx

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 22, 2022, 12:45:36 PMMy available meet-up-for-a-drink days are at some point between the 11th and the 19th.

I am mostly around then. Don't have any shows planned. Somehow it's harder to get one's arse in gear when it's all on your doorstep. And old.

DrGreggles

I'm the opposite, compiling a meticulously planned schedule since April.

Small Man Big Horse

Just back from seeing the NZ improv sketch group Snort (featuring among others Rose Matafeo, Alice Sneddon, Steen Raskopoulos, Laura Daniels, Tom Walker and Joseph Moore, and it's hands down the best improv I've ever seen, so if anyone gets the chance to see them I'd highly recommend it, I know the nature of improv means each show will be different but I'd give what I saw tonight a very rare 5/5.

Oh, and Laura Daniels and Joseph Moore's show Two Hearts was superb too, it's musical comedy so might not be for everyone, but if you're fond of the genre I think this right up there with the best of it, and would rate it 4.75/5

DrGreggles

I'll definitely be seeing Snort.
Hope to squeeze Two Hearts in too.

Crabwalk

Quote from: greencalx on July 22, 2022, 08:45:53 PMI am mostly around then. Don't have any shows planned. Somehow it's harder to get one's arse in gear when it's all on your doorstep. And old.

I'm up for a drink around then and haven't booked anything yet either. Maybe we could could time it to go to one of your shows Greggles, before or after?