Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:51:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Covid - New surge

Started by shoulders, March 11, 2022, 09:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Hardly surprising my housemate got it, as it seems several of her workmates had tested positive and just gone into work as normal, not even wearing masks. That's what happens when you have a Prime Minister who decides to lift all restrictions and pretend it's all over, against scientific advice, just to save his own skin. She is in self-imposed lockdown, but you're right, it's no fun when nobody else is doing it.

flotemysost

Sorry to hear that about your flatmate olliebean, hope she and everyone in your household are OK.

Likewise, my flatmate who had it most recently works in a hospital and so was rightly told to stay at home - and she felt like shit anyway so I don't think she was inclined to do much, I even had to post her PCR for her as she was too weak to walk down the road - but as far as I can tell she wouldn't have been legally obliged to stay at home, though I don't know if there is a different rule for key workers. You'd hope so. She works with cancer patients ffs.

My work (office, non-essential, can be done remotely) have been decent on the whole - no mandatory office attendance, testing and mask wearing required if you do come in - but we had a department briefing the other day where the speaker kept saying "just use your common sense" and didn't mention testing at all, as if "common sense" can detect asymptomatic cases.

Povidone

Finally caught my dose of the 'vid and in doing so become Typhoid Mary of Edinburgh and the Lothians. Had cold symptoms last week (blocked nose, bit of a fuzzy head) after very definitively catching a chill on Monday night that I just could feel was going to fuck me up. Tested negative all throughout so was at college/work/gym etc, only started getting postive tests on Monday once the symptoms had subsided, so now having spread the fucker about I have to stay in the house for a week feeling perfectly fine. Ah well, my Switch was gathering dust anyway, no excuse for not completing the Bioshock collection at long last.

MojoJojo

I know this thread isn't about positivity, but it is reassuring to see that despite the surge, deaths and patients on respirators aren't going up. While patients admitted with it is going up, that seems to be just because the overall prevalence is up - people are going to hospital with it, not because of it.

I had a very mild dose of covid just 6 weeks ago.

I now have a less mild dose, and feel absolutely rotten. Like a cold but with the body ache and severe malaise of flu.

Sure I'll be fine in a day or 2.

Brian Freeze

Mrs F still negative but everyone else in the house got more than one line.

Ive done day five and day six tests and they are most definitely not clear.

Alberon

Quote from: justin_bennett on March 16, 2022, 09:41:41 PMJust tested positive earlier on, have felt like total shit all day but tested negative this morning. Apologies to anyone sat near me at Stewart Lee last night.

Fuck, managed to avoid the fucker for a full 2 years...

That's no way to talk about one of the UK's greatest comedians.

Cuellar

Testing negative after my run in with riddled brother on Sunday.

Frustrating as there are several things I'd like to get out of this weekend.

olliebean

So, how's Covid being over going?

Zoe's estimate of the number of people currently with symptomatic Covid in the UK is pushing 3,000,000 - about 1 in 23 people. The ONS, which includes asymptomatic infections, puts it at nearly 1 in 20 in England, based on data to the 12th March - so higher than that by now. Zoe reckons it'll be up and down over the next few months, and is unlikely to go lower than 1 in 50 for some time.

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: Cuellar on March 18, 2022, 04:38:11 PMTesting negative after my run in with riddled brother on Sunday.

Frustrating as there are several things I'd like to get out of this weekend.
Draw an extra line on the LFT in biro?

checkoutgirl

Just tested positive. The cough is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, very scratchy sore throat, especially in the morning. Feverish for a couple of days but feel grand now.

shoulders

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 18, 2022, 09:53:57 AMI know this thread isn't about positivity, but it is reassuring to see that despite the surge, deaths and patients on respirators aren't going up. While patients admitted with it is going up, that seems to be just because the overall prevalence is up - people are going to hospital with it, not because of it.

Yes, though along with waning immunity and sharp increase in prevalence across the population I think we will see the deaths stay at this reasonably high level until May now (providing another variant doesn't come alone) while hospital admissions remain a clear concern.

Jittlebags

We're going back into the office 1 day a week. 2 cases there already.

Son's tested positive. Me and the missus have the same symptoms but milder, but we're still testing negative. Maybe the triple jabs are keeping the VIDs at bay. Maybe it's just not showing up on an LFT yet.

Supposed to be seeing Oxide Ghosts on Friday and seeing my family on Sunday, so we'll inevitably test positive on Friday morning.

Fambo Number Mive

Hope you and Mrs Babkins stay negative, and that your son tests negative soon.

Ferris

The last of my UK friends got it over the weekend and she lives on a boat in the middle of nowhere so covid island must be riddled with the stuff.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Easily the most people I've known getting it at once in the last two years. absolutely bloody everywhere.

day 8 of isolation here and the line on the LFT is getting fainter thank god.

DrGreggles

Our Cambridge office has only been having around 20 people in, and 12 have tested positive for COVID this week.
Office now closed for the next fortnight.

Zetetic

Quote from: shoulders on March 18, 2022, 08:41:39 PMhospital admissions remain a clear concern.
This is a fucking nightmare, particularly alongside staff sickness (from the 'ViD, from the experience of the last two years, from the experience of the last 10 years...).

MojoJojo

Is there any data on hospital occupancy/free beds? In an attempt to be positive I was hoping the high infection rate wasn't driving admissions.

Tested positive this morning. Just a cough, sore throat.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 23, 2022, 09:10:26 AMIs there any data on hospital occupancy/free beds? In an attempt to be positive I was hoping the high infection rate wasn't driving admissions.

Tested positive this morning. Just a cough, sore throat.

Hope you feel better and test negative soon.

It's positive, lads. Bit of a sore throat and a runny nose so far. The missus is feverish and feeling like absolute shite, but still coming up negative.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 23, 2022, 01:32:00 PMIt's positive, lads. Bit of a sore throat and a runny nose so far. The missus is feverish and feeling like absolute shite, but still coming up negative.

Hope you test negative and feel better soon.

Alberon

Colleague who sits next to me in the office tested positive this morning and will be off work until he's testing negative again.

He tested negative yesterday but was in with what he thought was a cold. He wore a mask all day and that might have helped reduced the spread. Myself and my other colleague tested negative, but we'll run the test again tomorrow before we head into work.

Pink Gregory

Pretty sure we've got it, caught it from a wedding on the weekend and took a minute to kick in.

feeling slightly better than an average cold, throat's on fire though

Rich Uncle Skeleton

First negative test at last. So I apologise in advance if me charging outside to finally get some of this lovely sun causes thunderstorms and floors.

katzenjammer

Tested positive this morning. Was starting to think I was immune since my partner and daughter got it before Christmas and I didn't. Sore throat and shivers so far.

Pink Gregory

so we both fairly unambiguously have it, we were both testing at the same times

my test was so positive that it punched me in the face and called me a cunt, whereas Ms. Gregory has only tested negative

yet we have almost identical symptoms?

Kankurette

Is there a wave in Glasgow? I know a couple of people there who have it. One of them is immunocompromised as well.

shoulders

Quote from: Alberon on March 23, 2022, 03:30:47 PMColleague who sits next to me in the office tested positive this morning and will be off work until he's testing negative again.

He tested negative yesterday but was in with what he thought was a cold. He wore a mask all day and that might have helped reduced the spread. Myself and my other colleague tested negative, but we'll run the test again tomorrow before we head into work.

Shitty behaviour to be turning up to work 'with a cold', surely this has taught people to stop doing that.