Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:12:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone still playing the Hitman games?

Started by Retinend, March 17, 2022, 09:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

It's set between Whittleton Creek and Isle of Sgail, yeah.

Finished Contracts, last mission was a bit of weird anticlimax especially since it starts with a briefing which has nothing to do with anything you're actually doing. I get the impression they intended something a bit more elaborate, which presumably during the crunch to finish the game got scaled down to "run away from the cops".

Kelvin

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on July 31, 2022, 03:10:55 PMFinished Contracts, last mission was a bit of weird anticlimax especially since it starts with a briefing which has nothing to do with anything you're actually doing. I get the impression they intended something a bit more elaborate, which presumably during the crunch to finish the game got scaled down to "run away from the cops".

I like the ending to Contracts, it's fun to go crazy with the firepower you've accumulated, or to do the sneaky "Leon" escape. The real issue is that, like all Hitman finale's, there simply isn't as much freedom or flexibility as in earlier levels. You basically only have a couple of workable options.   

Retinend

There's the new "Freelancer" mode out now.

I'm watching the weirdly-accented tutorial video now. I'm a bit overwhelmed. Not sure if it will be for me.

Chairman Yang

christ i've already bought this game so many times... am i actually going to buy it again?

probably...

Mobius

Freelancer looks pretty cool.

I've just played this sooooo much, I am not sure how much more enjoyment i can eke out of the same levels/maps again.

Retinend

Freelancer first impressions:

Extremely difficult! They really punish you for mistakes. Playing it safe is the name of the game here. I like that, as it refocuses the gameplay on long-term survival rather than clever playthroughs. I like how silent assassin has no meaning anymore. It doesn't matter how well you execute thing, as long as you execute them without alerting an onslaught of guards.

My recommendation: ignore all escalations and just focus on reliably winning all three rounds. That's my current aim. So far I've won one and lost one (and on the very last mission - disappointing).

edit: now I've won one and lost two final rounds. The problem is that in the final round, you have to trespass in many different areas to case out several different suspects, and if you are restricted to noisy gun kills it scares off the true target. So I need to be more sure of who the target is before I shoot.

Retinend

I think I'm just not good enough for this mode! I'm going to be practicing getting all the challenges in the saves-allowed modes before I try doing this again. I just don't know the maps well enough to survive reliably. I don't know how to get around without my crutches of coins and silenced pistol. Also, I always play "casual" (without cameras) in normal mode.

H-O-W-L

It's a lot of fun if you just do it without caring about the consequences. Also, there's no penalty for killing the guards.

Capt.Midnight

I'm finding Suspects mode incredibly tedious.

I just try silently killing all the suspects. I simply don't have the time to be waving a camera around in their faces, whilst they walk around the entire map. Who thought this was a good idea? I've been downvoted on Reddit for saying it's shit, so perhaps I'm in the minority on this...

Other than that, I'm enjoying Freelancer. I can see it being fleshed out in a similar way to the Berlin level. A bit more controlled and story based, but retaining the 'roguelike' mechanics.

Retinend

When you get one clear shot, simply take a photo and then you have a lot more time to inspect their faces.

H-O-W-L

I just kill my way through sodding everything. I've SA/SO'd every level in the series, I can do what I like now.

Retinend

I've been addicted to this game mode, Freelancer. It really puts you in crazy situations that you'd never get into were it not for the incentives of the optional rewards currency system.

For example I was tasked with killing a target AND another (innocent!) individual with a single firearms shot.

I brought in my shotgun in a smart briefcase and made my way to the target, dressed as a bodyguard.

My plan was simple. My shotgun had a wide enough shot radius. Given that two unconscious victims could be positioned so that their heads lay within the deadly radius of my shot, I would claim not only the 2,500 dollar "prestige objective" for killing a target + collateral damage, but ALSO I would be well on the way to the concurrent 1000 dollar bonus for a mere "3 shotgun kills".

So I made my way there (next to Robert Knox's office in Miami). As prep, I lured and knocked out an innocent victim in a small side room with my empty briefcase and dragged his unconscious body into the corner, out of sight of the doorway.

Then my actual target came close. I lured him into my depraved death room with an illegal item placed in the opposite corner. Sadly he wasn't dumb enough to overlook the KO'd person in the other corner and started freaking out the moment he crossed the threshold of the small room.

I knocked him out with a soda can and his body fell where it was standing, blocking the threshold of the door, making it impossible to shut. I then started dragging him into my little room, just as another innocent bystander popped around the corner. He stood over me as I dragged my victim into the room, but my shotgun was silenced and he never knew what hit him. Then, as I was dragging this unintended witness (now dead) into the heap, ANOTHER guard appeared to investigate this muffled, but still loud, shotgun noise. He promptly made it on the pile and by this time I was really scared. I was surrounded by bodies, on the top floor of a highly hostile environment, and my task was now to drag bodies until - sick fucker I was - one innocent man's head would lie tenderly against my target's own head.

I was sweating bullets, just knowing that I would be walked in on again at any moment, playing with corpses in a little room like in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. But when the two heads finally seemed close enough, I whipped out the shotgun and fired - the two heads lying like circles in a venn diagram.

No one had heard. No one cared. I saw that I had earned 3,500 dollars with this single depraved act. I walked out of there and right past Robert Knox as if nothing had happened. Then something even more hilarious happened with the second target, by that's a tale for another time.